Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 03:46 AM

4,692 posts, read 1,169,092 times

Advertisements

Just for increase language skills (by my side) and maybe for nice conversation for companion in the lonely times? Is it possible via skype or IM?
Thanx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 04:06 AM

34,109 posts, read 83,054,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Solano View Post
Just for increase language skills (by my side) and maybe for nice conversation for companion in the lonely times?
Is it possible via skype or IM?
Start with IRC and text.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Relay_Chat

Find people with some common interest.
Expand from text to one of the video chat formats.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Start with IRC.

Find people with some common interest.
Expand to one of the video chat formats.
Sorry, but it is old technology about late 90 - early 2000.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:13 AM

I think facebook or something like that more preferably.
I reckon in US there are a lot of lonely people whom I could help.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:14 AM

34,109 posts, read 83,054,663 times
Quote:
Sorry, but it is old technology ...
You say that like your sense of tech elitism matters one bit. It doesn't.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You say that like your sense of tech elitism matters one bit. It doesn't.
I would like to use modern methods of communication. I hope it's clear

Old 01-13-2019, 10:57 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,074,648 times
Quote:
Just for increase language skills (by my side) and maybe for nice conversation for companion in the lonely times? Is it possible via skype or IM?
Thanx!
Quote:
I think facebook or something like that more preferably.
I reckon in US there are a lot of lonely people whom I could help.

Maybe if you ask in the technology forum there are people there who can advise you about the different kinds of websites, technologies, programs, etc. that you can use if all you want to do is talk to English speaking people instead of chatting through texts. //www.city-data.com/forum/science-technology/

I think you need to make up your mind about your true intentions and motives though because your two posts quoted above are contradictory with regards to you either improving your English language skills or with you helping lonely people (which I find a questionable motive and so will others). If you are by any chance actually trying to prepare yourself to find an American sponsor or mate and make an immigration move to America you should say so.

Otherwise, if what you really want to do is improve your English language skills by talking instead of texting with people then you should NOT be specifically talking with people in USA because the many different accents and dialects will be confusing for you. Ordinary real life people across America do not talk the same way nor have the language training that you may hear American news announcers and American actors on TV and in movies speak. If you want improved English language skills you should focus on Standard English, not American English. There are millions of people who live closer to you right in Europe who speak the properly educated, unaccented, non-shortened, non-slanged Standard English that you need to learn. They won't confuse you the way will happen from listening to the many shortened, often corrupted and highly accented Americanized versions of non-Standard English that the majority of Americans speak.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:52 PM

8,155 posts, read 8,368,434 times
I have a friend who signed up for italki and pays for a weekly lesson and then through the program has also locals to skype with. Special Offer Italki

He’s very happy with his progress and will be meeting some of his conversation partners this year while he’s traveing.

Old 01-13-2019, 02:16 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,395,649 times
Quote:
Thanx!
The best way is meeting people by joining a club, going to a bar, volunteering. Meet people. Make friends. Conversation skills could be better enhanced with more than one person at a time.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:25 AM

88,649 posts, read 84,943,363 times
You can set up conversation partners through American universities with people who are learning your language.

Try Rutgers University, New York State University at Albany, Middlebury College in Vermont, University of Massachusetts at Amherst. There are probably others, but I know these all have good language programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships