U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2007, 10:08 AM

25 posts, read 212,658 times

Advertisements

Some may find these questions simple, some may not. But I simply want to know from the perspective of those already living in North Carolina, which metro area (Charlotte or Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) is more highly regarded within the state? Which is more progressive and growing more rapidly? Which is the better area to raise a family and educate your children versus being single and having an active social life? Which area better defines the what North Carolina is all about?

To me, it seems that Charlotte is your conventional large urban area where all of the mega corporations are located in the city center (downtown), the financial centers, the skyscrapers, the pro sports teams, entertainment venues, etc.

Raliegh-Durham, from afar, strikes me as being more akin an outlying, suburban network of bedroom communities and college towns that over the years have merged together due to growth and sprawl. Where Charlotte may be more akin to Dallas, Houston or Atlanta, Raleigh-Durham seems more like Austin TX - true, there are a lot of people living in the area, but it still feels like a smaller, more medium-sized city.

From a quality of life standpoint, which area seems to be the most popular destination for relocating professionals? Does it matter what field you work in? For example, IT Tekkies should look into the RDCH Research Triangle and Corporate or Banking types should pursue opportunities in Charlotte?

Lastly, are the New York, New Jersey and other transplants from Northeast states really creating the social and cultural problems in NC that some on the message board would have you believe, or is that issue overstated to some degree? I know there could perhaps be no two places more different than New York and North Carolina (or any southern state), but is the issue really that bad, or are only native North Carolinians concerned about the influx of people from other states ruining their way of life?

Overall, isn't North Carolina being a destination state for relocations, corporate transfers, and wealthy retirees a good thing? BTW - I am from Michigan and considering a move to either the Southeast or Southwest US.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 11:21 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,292,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2007 View Post
Some may find these questions simple, some may not. But I simply want to know from the perspective of those already living in North Carolina, which metro area (Charlotte or Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) is more highly regarded within the state? Which is more progressive and growing more rapidly? Which is the better area to raise a family and educate your children versus being single and having an active social life? Which area better defines the what North Carolina is all about?

To me, it seems that Charlotte is your conventional large urban area where all of the mega corporations are located in the city center (downtown), the financial centers, the skyscrapers, the pro sports teams, entertainment venues, etc.

Raliegh-Durham, from afar, strikes me as being more akin an outlying, suburban network of bedroom communities and college towns that over the years have merged together due to growth and sprawl. Where Charlotte may be more akin to Dallas, Houston or Atlanta, Raleigh-Durham seems more like Austin TX - true, there are a lot of people living in the area, but it still feels like a smaller, more medium-sized city.

From a quality of life standpoint, which area seems to be the most popular destination for relocating professionals? Does it matter what field you work in? For example, IT Tekkies should look into the RDCH Research Triangle and Corporate or Banking types should pursue opportunities in Charlotte?

Lastly, are the New York, New Jersey and other transplants from Northeast states really creating the social and cultural problems in NC that some on the message board would have you believe, or is that issue overstated to some degree? I know there could perhaps be no two places more different than New York and North Carolina (or any southern state), but is the issue really that bad, or are only native North Carolinians concerned about the influx of people from other states ruining their way of life?

Overall, isn't North Carolina being a destination state for relocations, corporate transfers, and wealthy retirees a good thing? BTW - I am from Michigan and considering a move to either the Southeast or Southwest US.
Plenty of these threads pop up all the time. Personal preference. How you describe Raleigh-Durham is about how I would describe it. I haven't been to Charlotte. Interviewed for jobs there a couple of months ago before I got the job here in Durham. I've talked to people that have recently live in Charlotte and now live here and they tell me that the difference between the two isn't really that large. Take that for what it's worth as I would have probably guessed the same thing.

If you're considering the SW, take a look at Phoenix. Alot of folks from your neck of the woods move to Phoenix. It's a great place but it is different from what you'll get here or where you live. As far as the SE, look into the cities in Florida.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:22 AM

9,679 posts, read 28,078,571 times
You are bound to get a mixed bag as far as feedback goes. Some people like both Raleigh and Charlotte but picked one over the other becasue of their field of work and better employment opportunites. Some people like one area and bash the other (especially when it comes to quality of schools), while others will try to convince you this whole State is going down the tubes. It really depends on who's opinions you trust the most. In the end, your opinion is the only one that counts. Visit both places and make up your own mind. Here are some links to similar discussions concerning your question. If you perform a search of this forum you will find several more similar threads. Best of luck to you:

//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...s-raleigh.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...charlotte.html

Charlotte vs. Raleigh advice request

Charolette or Raleigh / pros & cons

Help!!! Raleigh or Charlotte Area?

//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...e-raleigh.html

Charlotte or Raleigh for my situation?

Old 06-18-2007, 11:54 AM

21 posts, read 59,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2007 View Post
Lastly, are the New York, New Jersey and other transplants from Northeast states really creating the social and cultural problems in NC that some on the message board would have you believe, or is that issue overstated to some degree? I know there could perhaps be no two places more different than New York and North Carolina (or any southern state)
I grew up in North Carolina (Winston-Salem) and just moved back after 6 years in New York and Southern California. I would actually say that New York (or North Carolina) and Southern California are vastly more different than New York and North Carolina. It's an East Coast/West Coast thing. Urban NC is different than a lot of the South, and is much different from the Hollywood interpretation of the South.

I was a little worried about the transplants/natives thing when I moved back, mainly because of things I saw on the web. I think it is overstated, though. Based on what I read, I thought my lack of Southern accent and CA license would cause me to be treated poorly, as an "outsider", but it's really not the case. I've had a lot of people say, "Welcome to Charlotte", in a genuine, friendly voice, when I say I just moved here. As a native, I think it's fantastic that NC has become such a melting pot. I've lived places where everyone was from somewhere else, but were more transient. The fact that so many transplants see Charlotte as a forever home as opposed to a place to just pass through makes a difference. Bottom line, there are always people who will find something to complain about no matter what city you're in, so just ignore them.

As for Raleigh/Durham, it's great too. My parents live there now. My perception growing up was the R/D was more progressive (probably because of the universities) and Charlotte was conservative bankers. I don't really think that's the case anymore. One difference is you do have three distinct cities in the Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, Cary's now a fourth) and they are seperated by enough distance that if you lived and worked in Durham, you may never go to Raleigh, and vice-versa, whereas Charlotte is Charlotte, surrounding towns are suburbs. I believe Raleigh is technically growing more rapidly.

Good luck to you!

Old 11-22-2008, 05:24 AM

4,683 posts, read 8,436,878 times
I agree with the posts before mine. I don't think there is ahuge difference between Charlotte and the Triangle, Raleigh-Durham. Charlotte is a bigger city and the metropolis of Carolina. Raleigh is home to the largest research facility in the United States and is progressing as well. Raleigh has more in terms of higher education, Charlotte has more as far as business and corporate work. I like Charlotte more and see much of the development going on so Ican tell you as a Charlottean that Charlotte is becoming more and more of "big city." Raleigh is not developing as fast but is still developing. As far as nightlife, I don't know because I am a nerd and museum junkie. As far as I understand both have great arts and culture to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina