Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

North Carolina: slower, smaller southern city, sleepy place, growth corridor, retirees

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 11:26 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,379,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmmguy
Move to NC if you want, but PLEASE PLEASE leave your yankee attitudes behind. That means, being polite on the roads,(let someone go before you, let someone in line, when everyone is moving over to get through a lane closure - do it with them instead of rushing ahead), get involved, join the volunteer fire department, give your time to the community, help with the fund raising, dont expect them to raise taxes to build you what you moved away from, dont ask when the "OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE" is going to be built, support the small local eateries(you actually might like the barbeque), etc...

I think you get the picture. I can tell the yankees from the locals on the road, dont be one of them. Sell your BMW and buy a pickup or at least wear socks with your loafers. Remember everyone that moves here makes it harder for a local to afford it. Tread lighlty. If you dont, it wont be nice anymore.
I have to laugh with this one...so far in all the times we've been in NC...it's the locals that have been extremely rude drivers. Tailgating & speeding seem to be the norm from what we have experienced. Personally, I do stop to let people in or to cross the road & I don't drive on their tail.

I AM polite...my mother raised me right. You don't mess with an Italian mother. If I wasn't polite & respectful, I would have heard about it & been dealt with. I've done my best with my 14 yr old son to try & teach him the same morals & values my parents taught me. It warms my heart when I hear people say how kind, compassionate & polite he is. At the supermarket, it's just common courtesy to let someone in ahead of you on line that has 3 things compared to your cart full of items. It won't break my arm to hold a door open for someone either.

Volunteering? Fundraising? What have you done in the past in those areas? I am very involved in my community, school & church. Personally, I have raised thousands of dollars giving of my time fundraising for my son's school to keep it opened by selling souvenirs at Yankee Stadium for 7 years. I did lunch duty full time for more years than I can remember, cub scouts, etc...I've aready filled out my volunteer form for his new school in NC.

I hate Outback & most chain restaurants for that matter. All they serve are pre-prepared, frozen & reheated entrees. Oh..we do love barbeque! I'd much rather eat locally & support local businesses because they're my community. BTW, I don't drive a BMW but I do drive a 10 yr old Jeep. Sorry, I hate socks & wear them only when I have to. Thanks for enlightening me, I didn't know that not wearing socks was a "Yankee thing"!

Just because a person is from NY doesn't mean they're pompous idiots! There's good & bad in all people. Yeah, there's going to be jerks from NY, NJ, CA & NC for that matter. I just thinks it's unfair to assume all of us (no matter what state they're from) who are moving to NC are going to ruin it. I'm not looking to change anything about it. We chose to move to NC because we liked what we saw...the people, the beauty of the state & the opportunity to live comfortably on a pension (that my husband worked hard & risked his life for for 28 years). We're looking forward to starting a new life in NC. We're not looking to ruin or change anything.

Life is too short...ENJOY IT!!!

Rosie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2006, 11:44 PM

152 posts, read 476,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie
I have to laugh with this one...so far in all the times we've been in NC...it's the locals that have been extremely rude drivers. Tailgating & speeding seem to be the norm from what we have experienced. Personally, I do stop to let people in or to cross the road & I don't drive on their tail.

I AM polite...my mother raised me right. You don't mess with an Italian mother. If I wasn't polite & respectful, I would have heard about it & been dealt with. I've done my best with my 14 yr old son to try & teach him the same morals & values my parents taught me. It warms my heart when I hear people say how kind, compassionate & polite he is. At the supermarket, it's just common courtesy to let someone in ahead of you on line that has 3 things compared to your cart full of items. It won't break my arm to hold a door open for someone either.

Volunteering? Fundraising? What have you done in the past in those areas? I am very involved in my community, school & church. Personally, I have raised thousands of dollars giving of my time fundraising for my son's school to keep it opened by selling souvenirs at Yankee Stadium for 7 years. I did lunch duty full time for more years than I can remember, cub scouts, etc...I've aready filled out my volunteer form for his new school in NC.

I hate Outback & most chain restaurants for that matter. All they serve are pre-prepared, frozen & reheated entrees. Oh..we do love barbeque! I'd much rather eat locally & support local businesses because they're my community. BTW, I don't drive a BMW but I do drive a 10 yr old Jeep. Sorry, I hate socks & wear them only when I have to. Thanks for enlightening me, I didn't know that not wearing socks was a "Yankee thing"!

Just because a person is from NY doesn't mean they're pompous idiots! There's good & bad in all people. Yeah, there's going to be jerks from NY, NJ, CA & NC for that matter. I just thinks it's unfair to assume all of us (no matter what state they're from) who are moving to NC are going to ruin it. I'm not looking to change anything about it. We chose to move to NC because we liked what we saw...the people, the beauty of the state & the opportunity to live comfortably on a pension (that my husband worked hard & risked his life for for 28 years). We're looking forward to starting a new life in NC. We're not looking to ruin or change anything.

Rosie
Good for you Rosie...........right on!!!!!!

Old 08-08-2006, 07:33 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,593 times
Just a word for anyone who hasn't been to NC yet. You may have the impression that you'll come here and be treated a certain way just because you're from NY/NJ. That's a fair assumption because you read all the anger a lot of natives have. But, the truth is they really are kind and warm, and welcoming even after you tell them where you're from. It's just cultural, I guess. I'm sure it's only when the newcomers act rude, or obnoxious that the Carolinians react with such anger.

So far, no one has judged me based on where I'm from. Not to my face, anyway.

Old 08-08-2006, 07:39 AM

954 posts, read 4,377,746 times
Default 12 Years of this crap was enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmmguy
Move to NC if you want, but PLEASE PLEASE leave your yankee attitudes behind. That means, being polite on the roads,(let someone go before you, let someone in line, when everyone is moving over to get through a lane closure - do it with them instead of rushing ahead), get involved, join the volunteer fire department, give your time to the community, help with the fund raising, dont expect them to raise taxes to build you what you moved away from, dont ask when the "OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE" is going to be built, support the small local eateries(you actually might like the barbeque), etc...

I think you get the picture. I can tell the Yankees from the locals on the road, don't be one of them. Sell your BMW and buy a pickup or at least wear socks with your loafers. Remember everyone that moves here makes it harder for a local to afford it. Tread lightly. If you don't, it wont be nice anymore.
I know a lot of you have relocated from the North to NC and love it. I went full circle. I grew up in Detroit, and lived in Tenn (5 years) and NC (12 years). I moved back North 7 years ago and never looked back. I got a belly full of the kind of attitude by this poster. After 12 years in NC, I said, fuggaboutit. It's what I call Southern Hostility. If there were two equally nasty people in town and one was from up North, then the reason he was he or she was nasty was "because he is a Yankee." I saw this over and over.
My parents were born and raised in Western NC and moved up North for work when they were young. Before I moved there my mom even warned me about the little old ladies who would call you honey and sweetie to your face and then stab you in the back.
People who move to NC and think that the old North/South tensions are gone are just fooling themselves. When I lived in Eastern NC, I was talking basketball with a guy. He said he hated Duke. I ask why. He said, "because I hate the coach." When I asked him why he hated the coach, he said "because he is a northerner and an Yankee." My niece lives in Beaufort. I asked her how things were going down there for her, she said, "things are fine as long as you don't suggest something they don't like... then they black ball you." I could go on and on and on....
So, as long as you keep in your place and mind your manners, you are fine.
In fact, if you are willing to adopt their attitude toward Yankees yourself, then you are fine. However, if you have any positive things to say about where you are from, it don't sit will.

Old 08-08-2006, 12:20 PM

483 posts, read 1,567,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie

Rosie
WELL SAID. COULD NOT HAVE SAID IT ANY BETTER.

Old 08-08-2006, 02:52 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,593 times
mhogan10010,
I do have to say that there is almost a screening process when a native meets you. It's like you have to prove yourself. I can see why that would get under anyone's skin. I guess it just doesn't bother me so much. My kids are thrilled to be here-their friends treat them like they've known them for years. Me, I'm a grown woman. I'll make friends and ignore the hostile people. Besides, there are obviously enough transplants to get along with if I'm not "accepted" for who I am!

Old 08-08-2006, 03:22 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,855,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymom
mhogan10010,
I do have to say that there is almost a screening process when a native meets you. It's like you have to prove yourself. I can see why that would get under anyone's skin. I guess it just doesn't bother me so much. My kids are thrilled to be here-their friends treat them like they've known them for years. Me, I'm a grown woman. I'll make friends and ignore the hostile people. Besides, there are obviously enough transplants to get along with if I'm not "accepted" for who I am!
In no other states do I hear such non-sense. Sounds like "senior hill" to me. I thought we were all over that?

You're right. Makes friends, and to the others they can go on their life as they may. Fine by me. Not going to feel like I should say something a certain way or do something a certain way because they "think" it's their state.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:23 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,271,698 times
Quote:
it's the locals that have been extremely rude drivers.
Just because they have a NC license plate doesn't mean they're a native to the state.

Quote:
Just because a person is from NY doesn't mean they're pompous idiots!
I agree. My best friend is a black lady from New York. We go to the same church.

Quote:
I didn't know that not wearing socks was a "Yankee thing"!
I don't even own any socks and I'm a Southerner. lol They just don't look pretty or feminine to me. Especially with cute sandals, flip flops or heels. Which are all I wear. I don't own any loafers or tennis shoes (I believe Yankees call them "sneakers" lol).

I liked most of what you said, Rosie.

By the way, I love Outback. lol

Quote:
I do have to say that there is almost a screening process when a native meets you. It's like you have to prove yourself.
I think a lot of people do that (Southerners or not) when they meet someone new. You know, feeling someone out or what have you.

Don't let the not-so-nice attitudes displayed here worry you. Most North Carolinians will not treat you like that.

All the best.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:58 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,907,324 times
I agree, when you meet someone for the first time, regarless of where they are from, you feel each other out to see if you get along and then build on that, having things in common, etc - there will be differences as they are differences between certain southern cultural things and norther ones, but when you take that away, most will find we are all people and have more in common then our geography.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:54 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,855,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis02
I agree, when you meet someone for the first time, regarless of where they are from, you feel each other out to see if you get along and then build on that, having things in common, etc - there will be differences as they are differences between certain southern cultural things and norther ones, but when you take that away, most will find we are all people and have more in common then our geography.
Agree. Your right......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina