Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2007, 05:33 PM

18 posts, read 152,778 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!! My family and I will be relocting to Statesville, from Upstate NY, in just a few weeks. We're waiting for word on a house we put a bid in on and While I do, been trying to find out some info on East Iredell Middle School. Specifically the music program. Have gotten lots of info on the academics!
We have a daughter who will be entering the 7th grade and is very active in band(marching and concert) and choir. The school district she has been in since Kindergarten is very serious about Marching Band so, all the kids get excited about going to middle school and finally getting to march. I've been trying to find out info about East Iredell's music program and have been able to find nothing at all. Even the high school that she would be attending in two years, North Iredell, doesn't even seem to mention their marching band on it's website. Is band not a very important thing or am I jsut looking in the wrong spot? I have tried emailing the school to find out info. but, haven't gotten any responses. I would really appreciate any info anyone can give me. My daughter has had hard enough time having adjust to the whole moving situation but, to find out there is no band would just crush her.
Also, does anyone happen to know if there is a youth band or youth music association for the Statesville area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 12:17 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandb4ever View Post
Hi everyone!! My family and I will be relocting to Statesville, from Upstate NY, in just a few weeks. We're waiting for word on a house we put a bid in on and While I do, been trying to find out some info on East Iredell Middle School. Specifically the music program. Have gotten lots of info on the academics!
We have a daughter who will be entering the 7th grade and is very active in band(marching and concert) and choir. The school district she has been in since Kindergarten is very serious about Marching Band so, all the kids get excited about going to middle school and finally getting to march. I've been trying to find out info about East Iredell's music program and have been able to find nothing at all. Even the high school that she would be attending in two years, North Iredell, doesn't even seem to mention their marching band on it's website. Is band not a very important thing or am I jsut looking in the wrong spot? I have tried emailing the school to find out info. but, haven't gotten any responses. I would really appreciate any info anyone can give me. My daughter has had hard enough time having adjust to the whole moving situation but, to find out there is no band would just crush her.
Also, does anyone happen to know if there is a youth band or youth music association for the Statesville area?
Considering that school is out for the summer, you probably won't hear from too many people. My children all finished EIMS. I've included the school's web page and Laura Shephard's (Music) page. My sons had Ms. Shephard and she is a wonderful, no-nonsense, kid-centered person who still remembers my 25 y/o "baby" (He played bass clarinet).

East Iredell Middle School Homepage
Laura Shepherd (http://www.iss.k12.nc.us/schools/ems/lshepherd/index.htm - broken link)

North Iredell has a marching and concert and pep band:
Mr. Wilson (http://www.iss.k12.nc.us/schools/nihs/clwilson/home.html - broken link)

All three children are NIHS graduates, no one in band, 2 in Theatre / Drama.
Hope this helps!

Old 07-26-2007, 01:48 PM

222 posts, read 936,394 times
Hi OP,

I'm not familiar with Iredell schools currently, but I don't know of any middle school in this state that has a marching band. Band instruction begins with NC students in the 6th grade. If you are set on that school district, I would call the school during the morning and ask the questions you are needing answered. If the school district is up in the air, then search on all the middle/high schools in that county.

Here is a link to the Iredell school system: Visit our Schools

and to eims band teacher: Laura Shepherd (http://www.iss.k12.nc.us/schools/ems/lshepherd/index.htm - broken link)

EIMS feeds into Statesville High School, not North, according to the school system website.

I wish you and your family well during your transition to NC. I think Statesville would be a good place to live and raise a family.

Old 09-30-2007, 01:23 PM
CJF

30 posts, read 176,214 times
You are probably here by now. I taught computers at East Iredell Middle School last year.

I am originally from Upstate, NY myself (Near Utica originally) . Laura Shepard is the band director and is excellent. This year the school (07/08) got a new part time chorus teacher.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:29 AM

18 posts, read 152,778 times
Yes we're here now! My daughter has joined band and you're right, Laura Shepard is wonderful! I do wish though that more time and attention was given to the music program. Seems to me, so far, that sports get all the attention here. Have been considering testing the waters to see if any other parents are interested in a music parents group. Have to get out there and meet some of the other parents first though!!! Right now we've been focused on getting the "kiddo" ready for Honors Band auditions and finding a private instructor... she's a bit ahead of the students here and is becoming bored! So if anyone knows of a great instructor, I would really appreciate it!

Old 02-26-2009, 03:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,771 times
I have an 8th grade daughter at EIMS and Mr. Harris is a real good band director. And i also have an 11th grade daughter at NIHS and MR. WILSON is an AWESOME band director. Wait until she gets to NIHS for the Marching Band Competitions. It is so wanderful to see what Mr. Wilson and the band students do over the summer during band camp to prepare themselves for the competitions and Friday night Football games. And if you need any help ask one of the band members or Mr. Wilson. Marching Band is 1 whole family.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:16 AM

60 posts, read 161,538 times
I totally agree Statesville or maybe it's the whole state of NC doesn't really enforce the arts. It's very upsetting since it enhances their education in other subjects too. I'm still trying to find a school district that sees that as important.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:34 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,580 times
There are schools that value the arts. There are even arts based magnet schools for example in Charlotte there is University Park Creative Arts School.

Quote:
Our Mission Statement: Through an arts integrated curriculum, our mission is to maintain a safe and caring learning community where everyone works together to creatively challenge and prepare each child for academic success.

Our Beliefs

* An arts integrated curriculum is fundamental to academic success.
* Participation in Dance, Drama, and Music, and the Visual Arts helps children make meaningful connections across the core curriculum.
* The arts inspire learning for both the creative artists and the audience.
* The arts curriculum embraces understanding and respect for all people.
* Learning is enhanced through collaboration and partnership with the greater arts community.
* Artistic and academic achievements should be celebrated.
* Positive Discipline and Character Education improve the school climate and enhance student achievement.
and Northwest School of the Arts -
Quote:
NWSA is a small, comprehensive secondary school with an enrollment of 1200 serving Grades 6-12.

Our magnet program provides stability and continuity for an intese and advanced study of the arts. Students have the opportunity to begin the program in elementary school and continue through graduation. Extensive performance opportunities duing the day and in the evening are a regular component of our program. Many of these are required opportunities. Students in our program often experience increased SAT scores through exposure to the arts. Our school is a grade 6-12 configuration with a variety of advanced classes in the arts. We have an experienced and stable teaching staff due to a low teacher turnover rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina