Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 08:15 PM

24 posts, read 81,574 times

Advertisements

I've read quite a few posts here from parents (some from NY) who are looking for schools for children with autism. As a teacher, I am looking for schools around Randolph County, Staley County, Siler City, Liberty, Chapel Hill, Guilford etc. that serve children with autism. I live on Long Island and currently teach at a private school specializing in teaching students with autism and other developmental disabilities. From what I've read it sounds like NC needs some teachers from NY who have experience in this field, i was saddened to see that some parents (some who are from close to where I live) have moved to find that their children aren't getting the services they should. I was even shocked to read about incidences of paddling and corporal punishment in the schools. I'm outraged!

Anyway I was hoping to get some information as to whether any such schools with ABA exist near those areas, and if so, the names of them and websites so I could further my research and possibly find a job before I move next year. I love what I do and want to continue it when I move. It seems like someone like me (24 yr old male just graduated) would eventualy find a position working with children with autism, especially with my certifications coming from NY, but I'd like to at least narrow down my search and find a school like the school I work at on Long Island, since I prefer schools like that over schools in district which often don't offer ABA programs as the way that private schools do. I deeply appreciate any info that you send. If you are a teacher in the areas mentioned above I would love feedback from you if you teach in a school for children with autism. I'm ABA trained and have experience with children ages 6-21 who have autism and other developmental disabilities. Good luck to the parents down there still searching for good programs for their children. Hopefully when I move I'll be able to help the children (and parents) down there who so desperately need it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 04:55 PM

55 posts, read 235,730 times
You might try googling the SC Early Autism Project (Ann Eldridge). I know that they are based in SC but do travel to implement programs in homes. I have worked with them in the past. I am a teacher living in Charlotte and have taught in SC for 7 years. I will be relocating across the country at the end of the summer. I am not sure where Randolph County is, but my former district (Lancaster) has quite a lot to offer students with autism, and you may want to google C.A.R.D. and also see what resources the SC Autism Society has to offer. As you can see, even though I live in NC, I am more schooled in opportunities in autism in South Carolina. But these resources could play a good hand in pointing you in the right direction. Good luck! I also have info about furthering your training, if you are interested. In my opinion, we need more males working with students with autism.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audrey2 View Post
You might try googling the SC Early Autism Project (Ann Eldridge). I know that they are based in SC but do travel to implement programs in homes. I have worked with them in the past. I am a teacher living in Charlotte and have taught in SC for 7 years. I will be relocating across the country at the end of the summer. I am not sure where Randolph County is, but my former district (Lancaster) has quite a lot to offer students with autism, and you may want to google C.A.R.D. and also see what resources the SC Autism Society has to offer. As you can see, even though I live in NC, I am more schooled in opportunities in autism in South Carolina. But these resources could play a good hand in pointing you in the right direction. Good luck! I also have info about furthering your training, if you are interested. In my opinion, we need more males working with students with autism.

Hi Audrey!

Thank you very much for taking the time to write and respond.

I've heard of the North Carolina Autism society based on research I've done on the internet, do they offer anything like in SC? I went on there site to search for schools but didn't get very far.

The info that you have about me furthering my training, if it's not too much trouble and you can send that to me I would appreciate it. The opportunities I assume are in NC? At my job now, I'm trained in ABA, and SCIP (strategies for crisis intervention and prevention).

What do you teach in Charlotte? Do you teach students with autism? If so is it in a district or in a private school like I'm at now? Are there a lot of private schools that specialize only in autism? The downfall about a place like that is the pay. I don't know if it's the same in NC, but in NY the pay in a place like where I am working is significantly lower than in a school district. I saw based on reasearch that I've done that the pay in school districts in NC is significantly lower than here, (but then again so is the cost of living there), so I was wondering if that means that the pay in a private school there is even LOWER than that which would mean I'd make nothing doing that down there.

I've been told numerous times that more males are needed and that as a male i'd do fine with getting a job. It sounds like NC needs more good teachers from what I've read from parents on here.

Thanks again for writing back and thanks in advance for future responses and info that you'll give.

sincerely,
Shaun

Old 06-22-2007, 12:00 PM

903 posts, read 3,505,302 times
Shaun,

It sounds like you would be the answer to prayers of many families! We live in Randolph County, and have a 12 yr old son with autism. He has always been in public schools, as I have never found any alternatives. This past year was his first in middle school, and IMO, it was a waste of his time.

As far as I know, there are no "autism specific" classrooms anywhere in Randolph County. The placement depends on the child's severity (verbal vs. non-verbal, behaviors, etc). My son has been in a "cross cat" class since 2nd grade. Basically, this is for children with various disabilities that for one reason or another are not mainstreamed.

That being said, I do not know of any programs in schools that are ABA specific either. Some teachers have ABA training, and implement the structure and style in their classroom, but as a school system, it is not a teaching program that is embraced around here. The much more popular method is TEACCH, which as I am sure you know is based here in NC in Chapel Hill. I believe cost is the biggest factor in the school board decision there.

I could write a book about this topic! Feel free to e-mail me at chaissonmary@yahoo.com. We can talk further off the board.

Mary

Old 06-22-2007, 05:30 PM

7 posts, read 41,793 times
Did you get some replies?
I'm a special Ed teacher (LD) in Wake County (near Raleigh). Please check into your teaching license and praxis requirements. There is a big need for special ed teachers in the nation (I'm sure you know!).
I teach on the HS level and there are some autism classes and cross cads. Perhaps contacting DPI would be more helpful. There is also a post of all jobs available - and it's bound to be pretty active right now.
Good luck!

Old 06-24-2007, 12:39 PM

60 posts, read 197,984 times
I am a parent of a 4 yr old child with autism ,planning on moving to Hickory to be closer to family. Can any of you give me an idea of services that are available. He currently receives ot, speech, pt, through the school system, and we pay private for ABA. I have heard of the Teacch center in Gastonia.
•How can the TEACCH center help?
•Are there any places that offer ABA therapy in the home or a clinical setting?
•Is N. Carolina a good place to raise a child with Autism?
•Any other info that may help us would be great!!
Thanks

Old 06-24-2007, 06:44 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,086,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymalaroo View Post
I am a parent of a 4 yr old child with autism ,planning on moving to Hickory to be closer to family. Can any of you give me an idea of services that are available. He currently receives ot, speech, pt, through the school system, and we pay private for ABA. I have heard of the Teacch center in Gastonia.
•How can the TEACCH center help?
•Are there any places that offer ABA therapy in the home or a clinical setting?
•Is N. Carolina a good place to raise a child with Autism?
•Any other info that may help us would be great!!
Thanks
In addition to my reply to your other post, in my opinion, Jersey is a great place to raise a child on the autism spectrum due to the widespread availability of services and extensive knowledgable resources!

But if you decide on NC, as we did, welcome!!!!!

Sara

Old 06-30-2007, 09:06 AM

55 posts, read 235,730 times
You might want to check out this website: BACB (http://www.bacb.com/becom_frame.html - broken link)
and see how your own credentials stack up against the standards. Yes, private schools pay significantly lower than public schools and thus, to me, are not even an option. Both USC (Columbia) and UNC (Charlotte--and likely the other UNCs also) offer excellent grad and post grad programs in education, including special education. You would benefit from contacting the SC Autism Society for more resources and they can hook you up with the NC Autism Society as well.

You may also want to check into working for CARD. [CARD] - Positions Available

Best of luck!

Old 07-05-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPED T View Post
Did you get some replies?
I'm a special Ed teacher (LD) in Wake County (near Raleigh). Please check into your teaching license and praxis requirements. There is a big need for special ed teachers in the nation (I'm sure you know!).
I teach on the HS level and there are some autism classes and cross cads. Perhaps contacting DPI would be more helpful. There is also a post of all jobs available - and it's bound to be pretty active right now.
Good luck!
Hey thanks for your reply! What is DPI? Is there a website?

Thanks again!
Shaun

Old 07-05-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audrey2 View Post
You might want to check out this website: BACB (http://www.bacb.com/becom_frame.html - broken link)
and see how your own credentials stack up against the standards. Yes, private schools pay significantly lower than public schools and thus, to me, are not even an option. Both USC (Columbia) and UNC (Charlotte--and likely the other UNCs also) offer excellent grad and post grad programs in education, including special education. You would benefit from contacting the SC Autism Society for more resources and they can hook you up with the NC Autism Society as well.

You may also want to check into working for CARD. [CARD] - Positions Available

Best of luck!

Thanks for the info, I checked out the website that you suggested. I wonder how the pay is down there I hate when employment postings omit that information. I"m going to check out the SC autism society also as things get closer, for now I'm just looking to see what is out there. Thanks again.

O BTW I already have a degree in special education so (as far as schools told me here) it doesn't pay to do a Master's in something that you already have a Bachelor's in. If it had a concentration in autism then I would definitely go for that!

Thanks again for the info!

Shaun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina