Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 10:37 AM

8 posts, read 29,648 times

Advertisements

I have recently gone through a family tragedy that has changed my life. My brother was accused of molesting his daughter. Because he had done the same thing to me as a child I followed my heart and testified against him in court. Because of this I was soon disowned by my family. Even though I was protecting my niece I was still threatened and treated terribly by my family.

As a result of all of this I went through a serious spell of anxiety, depression and insomnia. I was fired from my job because of all that was going on and remained unemployed for almost a year.

One day I decided to get up and get my life back together. I started working part time as a waitress then part time at a grocery store and then went on to working full time. Soon, I was promoted to a Lead position in my department (seafood). I was flying high again for the first time. I was sleeping again, I wasn't depressed, I was feeling strong and doing great. Well, so I thought I was. Until I was late on a mortgage payment due to an oversight. It ended up one month late and went on my credit report. My father is a co-signer on my house so it also went on his credit. Now he is livid and he is trying to take my house away from me. This is the same man who threatened me and thinks I am a bad person for reporting my brother. I have lived in my house for almost nine years and have made this little 1000 sq. ft. house my home. I have two dogs with me and this is our home. Now my father is going to the commissioner and he is going to force sale my house and I will have no place to live. I tried to offer to re-finance the house but he said that he will not sign off on the title. I have to pay him 22, 000 to buy him out or get out. I told him that he could have the house because I just want him to leave me alone and I want to be free of his choke hold and I am prepared to give up what I have to do so.

Now I just have to figure out how to find a place to live. I don't have good credit because I was out of work for so long and I robbed Peter to pay Paul (paul being the mortg). I make enough money per month to support myself and the dogs. I really want to find a place near the beach or mountains, far away from the city life.

Thank you,

Kristen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 12:01 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,619,611 times
Oh, Kristen, dear, my heart aches reading your post...I'll send you a pm.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:45 PM

5 posts, read 21,678 times
You should check out our area--we are near the on the coast. My little town is actually Swansboro (Hubert is post office where I get mail). It is lovely, quaint, quiet and a great place to live. I am a Realtor and would love to help you if you are interested in our area.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:47 PM

Today it is in low 90s, but we do not get as hot as some areas being near the water. Long way to Roanoke Rapids/Rocky Mt --about 3 hrs.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:49 PM

I just joined so not sure exactly how this works ---I just replied and it didn't go, I think. It's in low 90s today, we don't get as hot as inland since we're near the water. Long way from Roanoke Rapids/Rocky Mt. about 3 hrs

Old 06-19-2007, 01:51 PM

About 1 hour from Wilmington --hope I 'm doing this right!!

Old 06-19-2007, 02:00 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,624,637 times
Dear Kris10nc,
I am so sorry you are going through all of this. Rest assured you did the right thing by testifying, but the right thing is often the hardest thing to do. At least you can in the mirror each morning and know you did what you could to protect other innocent children from the abuse you had to endure. I am proud of you and think you were very brave to speak up.

Have you contacted legal aid and asked them what can be done about the mortgage situation? Sometimes they can give you free or lowcost legal advice on such matters. It is possible that this is your father's way of punishing you
because this is one thing he has control over. I think you should find out what your rights are before you give up on your cute little house that you've made into a home. Best wishes and keep us updated.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:54 PM

17,453 posts, read 38,833,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzaenglein View Post
Dear Kris10nc,
I am so sorry you are going through all of this. Rest assured you did the right thing by testifying, but the right thing is often the hardest thing to do. At least you can in the mirror each morning and know you did what you could to protect other innocent children from the abuse you had to endure. I am proud of you and think you were very brave to speak up.

Have you contacted legal aid and asked them what can be done about the mortgage situation? Sometimes they can give you free or lowcost legal advice on such matters. It is possible that this is your father's way of punishing you
because this is one thing he has control over. I think you should find out what your rights are before you give up on your cute little house that you've made into a home. Best wishes and keep us updated.
I second this. There should be some kind of legal aid you can explore before you just abandon your home. And I too am very proud of you for making such a difficult decision, and that little girl will thank you for protecting her for the rest of her life.

Now, I would think at the very least, your name is on the deed as well as your father's, at least I hope so. Even if you had to sell, then you would get some money back to go elsewhere and start over if need be.

I wish you all the best, and may God be with you.

~gypsychic~

Old 06-19-2007, 05:01 PM

219 posts, read 850,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris10nc View Post
I have recently gone through a family tragedy that has changed my life. My brother was accused of molesting his daughter. Because he had done the same thing to me as a child I followed my heart and testified against him in court. Because of this I was soon disowned by my family. Even though I was protecting my niece I was still threatened and treated terribly by my family.

As a result of all of this I went through a serious spell of anxiety, depression and insomnia. I was fired from my job because of all that was going on and remained unemployed for almost a year.

One day I decided to get up and get my life back together. I started working part time as a waitress then part time at a grocery store and then went on to working full time. Soon, I was promoted to a Lead position in my department (seafood). I was flying high again for the first time. I was sleeping again, I wasn't depressed, I was feeling strong and doing great. Well, so I thought I was. Until I was late on a mortgage payment due to an oversight. It ended up one month late and went on my credit report. My father is a co-signer on my house so it also went on his credit. Now he is livid and he is trying to take my house away from me. This is the same man who threatened me and thinks I am a bad person for reporting my brother. I have lived in my house for almost nine years and have made this little 1000 sq. ft. house my home. I have two dogs with me and this is our home. Now my father is going to the commissioner and he is going to force sale my house and I will have no place to live. I tried to offer to re-finance the house but he said that he will not sign off on the title. I have to pay him 22, 000 to buy him out or get out. I told him that he could have the house because I just want him to leave me alone and I want to be free of his choke hold and I am prepared to give up what I have to do so.

Now I just have to figure out how to find a place to live. I don't have good credit because I was out of work for so long and I robbed Peter to pay Paul (paul being the mortg). I make enough money per month to support myself and the dogs. I really want to find a place near the beach or mountains, far away from the city life.

Thank you,

Kristen
Kris,
From your message I find you aren't adverse to working for a living.
Judy and I (63yrs old) are moving to Calabash/Shallotte area. About 20 miles form Myrtle beach. When I retire we won't have a lot of cash but enough to do this move. It is scary and must be twice that for you.

You said you did waitress stuff...........well, one thing Myrtle has is plenty of restaurants etc.
You gotta start........real fast..........searching the web for homes in NC SC
Calabash/Shallotte is more a retirement area but there are still small places that are affordable.
Get to it girl.
And good luck.
A prayer tonight for you.
And the doggies
Dennis
Woodlynne NJ

Old 06-23-2007, 07:02 PM

3 posts, read 15,315 times
I'm actually new to the area, but my husband and I just found a place in Rocky Mount and we're very excited about starting our lives here. It's a small town with nice homes, and yet you're really close to everything you need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina