Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2012, 03:25 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I beleive I may have mentioned this elsewhere in this thread, but for the people comparing nC to S. Jerset and other parts of the North, do not confuse country and southern. There are definitle country parts all over the US. Even in CA. If you still want to abide by that comparison, just because there are "southern" parts of New Jersey, doesn't mean NC is northern. It just measn there are southern parts of New Jersey.
I'm not at all confused. I mentioned cities & country towns. The nature of the MidAtlantic is that it has both northern & southern characteristics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 04:48 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'm not at all confused. I mentioned cities & country towns. The nature of the MidAtlantic is that it has both northern & southern characteristics.
To quote a semi-famous Maryland band:

In The North They Call Us Rebels/
In The South They Call Us Yankees

Old 04-09-2012, 05:39 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post

Clutch. I could have happily lived my whole life and never heard them.

Just my opinion.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post

That's the MidAtlantic.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:05 AM

37 posts, read 57,174 times
Well i lived in NC/SC for most of my life. I was raised in north Alabama so I know what living in the south is like. I now live in rural MD and I can tell you without a doubt that there are major differences in rural MD than in the Carolinas. I lived in rural piedmont NC and it doesn't feel like rural MD or rural NOVA. Raleigh has been heavily transplanted so it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out it want feel all that southern, but then neither does a lot of cities in Florida or Texas? I went to Atlanta last week and Charlotte felt more southern to me? The bigger question is for the people saying that these places in NJ etc feel southern like these places in NC whats to stop it from feeling like places in TN or MS for example. Also point out one time in history where NC is refered to as the mid-atlantic or a border state? I dont want know information where there is something that feels mid atlantic like quakers in NC etc or weak stuff like mid-atlantic wrestling but, I want a quote. It's a very simple request. Otherwise my definition will stay as it is and always was. PA,NJ,DE,NY before southern states were even considered.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre2290 View Post
Well i lived in NC/SC for most of my life. I was raised in north Alabama so I know what living in the south is like. I now live in rural MD and I can tell you without a doubt that there are major differences in rural MD than in the Carolinas. I lived in rural piedmont NC and it doesn't feel like rural MD or rural NOVA. Raleigh has been heavily transplanted so it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out it want feel all that southern, but then neither does a lot of cities in Florida or Texas? I went to Atlanta last week and Charlotte felt more southern to me? The bigger question is for the people saying that these places in NJ etc feel southern like these places in NC whats to stop it from feeling like places in TN or MS for example. Also point out one time in history where NC is refered to as the mid-atlantic or a border state? I dont want know information where there is something that feels mid atlantic like quakers in NC etc or weak stuff like mid-atlantic wrestling but, I want a quote. It's a very simple request. Otherwise my definition will stay as it is and always was. PA,NJ,DE,NY before southern states were even considered.
I don't have my old textbooks, but read post # 27, written by a NC native who has family in Philadelphia & South Jersey. //www.city-data.com/forum/charl...arlotte-3.html

I remember you giving me a hard time about this in another thread. Did you take a trip to Woodstown & the Pine Barrens? I could name a lot of other places for you to go. Which state is this shot in?

Michelle Lescure "If I Could Visit Heaven" - YouTube

Old 04-20-2012, 04:25 PM

37 posts, read 57,174 times
Well I have old maps as well as old encyclopedias dating back to the 60's and unless I'm blind DE,PA,NY,NJ. seem to be the only states highlighted. When they're talking about the history of it MD is the only state in the south that it mentions more than 5 times. VA's name is mentioned 2 and NC's name no where to be found? You would think if they were to talk about the history of a region the name would be seen at least once. Also you're missing my whole point. Lets say the little video you showed me reminded me of NC whats to stop it from feeling like AL, GA or TN etc? You're using circular reason, once again no one has presented cold hard evidence. I want old letters hardcore information, not songs. I dont deny that NC doesn't have mid-atlantic influences but so does other southern states. I'm born/raised in the south & if Salisbury/LaPlatta MD is the mid-atlantic's southern charm it misses the boat. Not to mention the MD folk becoming upset when I call them southerners?? I never got that in NC/SC.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre2290 View Post
Well I have old maps as well as old encyclopedias dating back to the 60's and unless I'm blind DE,PA,NY,NJ. seem to be the only states highlighted. When they're talking about the history of it MD is the only state in the south that it mentions more than 5 times. VA's name is mentioned 2 and NC's name no where to be found? You would think if they were to talk about the history of a region the name would be seen at least once. Also you're missing my whole point. Lets say the little video you showed me reminded me of NC whats to stop it from feeling like AL, GA or TN etc? You're using circular reason, once again no one has presented cold hard evidence. I want old letters hardcore information, not songs. I dont deny that NC doesn't have mid-atlantic influences but so does other southern states. I'm born/raised in the south & if Salisbury/LaPlatta MD is the mid-atlantic's southern charm it misses the boat. Not to mention the MD folk becoming upset when I call them southerners?? I never got that in NC/SC.
I am not going to get into a fight about this. I gave you a link to another poster who is about my age, who is a NC native. We were taught the same thing in the 50s/early 60s. That is that NY & NC were sometimes considered to be MidAtlantic. You have challenged me before. I don't care what you think. You are allowed your opinion, as I am allowed mine. As for the video, It was only given to you to look at. Can you tell which of the states it was made in? Apparently not. The music has nothing to do with anything.

You have cited living in a town, for a year, which is about 15 miles from where I currently live, in other threads. I have conversed with a good many natives who are about my age, who have relatives in the areas of the MidAtlantic that are not not under dispute, & they have volunteered to me that they were taught, in school, that NC was sometimes considered to be MidAtlantic & they understood why, when they travelled to see their family members, even when they were children.

No one claimed that Salisbury MD has any kind of charm. There are places in all parts of the country that are devoid of charm. Other people besides me have cited examples in this thread. They cited good examples based on being in those places. I seriously doubt that you have been in a single one of those places.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:35 PM

55 posts, read 100,614 times
Having lived most of my 48 years in the carolina's I can assure that if you ask most folks from NC if they consider themselves mid atlantic or southern, the answer you are most apt to get is southern. You may also get a funny look while we try and figure out ourselves just what mid atlantic means. I consider myself a southerner as most everyone does that I personally know from NC. I could also see where someone from outside this area or a transplant may think this area as mid atlantic but I still would guess 90% of those of us born here would say southern.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:06 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,080 times
I was born in NC and I was born and raised as a southerner.

It's only the yanks who move down here who try to characterize NC as 'mid-Atlantic'. I really can't figure out why, as near as I can tell its simply to be even more annoying and disrespectful to the locals.

In my book VA, TN, NC, SC, GA, AL, LA, and MS always have been, and always will be Southern. I really don't give a rip about "what someone read" or "what someone said". I've lived the life, and no one can tell me the experience is anything other than Southern.

NC is *directly adjacent* to the state that produced John Calhoun. Call it whatever you want, it won't change what it is, and always will be. Southern, by the grace of God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina