Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2012, 08:49 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,461,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
DMV and go-go? Never heard of them before.
Googled go-go, says it's some music from DC.
DMV = DC, MD, VA according to Urban Dictionary? Also never heard of that before.
And i'm from Maryland, the state included in every definition of Mid-Atlantic.
I'm gonna guess those are weird DC-isms.
Thanks, I wasn't interested enough to do a search. However, since you did, it sounds like something that's "in" with young people, locally, which has nothing to do with the topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 04:43 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,178,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Thanks, I wasn't interested enough to do a search. However, since you did, it sounds like something that's "in" with young people, locally, which has nothing to do with the topic.
Lol "young" people. Go-go's been around since the 70s.

Tried to inject a little light-hearted discussion, dashed upon the rocks of squareness. Oh well.

Point being it's very regional- almost nobody knows what it is outside DC/Baltimore/Philly and some folks in Hampton Roads, which pretty much makes it a mid-Atlantic thing. Which in a thread about mid-Atlantic identity would seem to be on-topic.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post

Tried to inject a little light-hearted discussion, dashed upon the rocks of squareness. Oh well.

Point being it's very regional- almost nobody knows what it is outside DC/Baltimore/Philly and some folks in Hampton Roads, which pretty much makes it a mid-Atlantic thing. Which in a thread about mid-Atlantic identity would seem to be on-topic.
Well, I worked in Owings Mills in the late 70s/early 80s & had a weekday rental. I watched the news on NBC out of DC (WRC?) Other than that I was in Philly & South Jersey most of the time from '64 -'08. Like the poster from Maryland, I never heard of it. This is not widespread. I worked in TV & knew a ton of reporters, if this was widespread, I would have heard about it.

If this is a niche thing that is big within a segment, then it only counts in that segment of the population.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:48 PM

That's a fascinating story and all but this thread isn't about your cloistered existence.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
That's a fascinating story and all but this thread isn't about your cloistered existence.
According to this, go go is local to the DC metro, & is popular with the African-American community. Go-go - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia This is not a standard to hold it up as a measurement of the MidAtlantic.

Scrapple, livermush, liver pudding, & fried mush come from the same source. People of all races, genders, and ages eat it. That is the type of thing that determines regional preferences, not local preferences.

You have no excuse for insulting me for being unaware of something local to DC.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:50 PM

3,860 posts, read 4,240,614 times
Quote:

Are you kidding me? Back in the 80s/90s, go-go made quite the roar through North Carolina, especially RDU and Gboro. Even today, NC A&T SU, NCCU regularly have go-go bands for homecoming, etc. Tons of students from DC/MD area. In certain parts of NC, go-go is as popular as in Baltimore or Philly, anyways most people in Bmore prefer house, Philly rap.

Chuck Brown (godfather of go-go) is a staple at CIAA in Charlotte, he is from Gaston, NC - like many African American's ancestry in DC or MD...from either NC or VA:

Chuck Brown: Oral History Video Clips and Biography: NVLP Oral History Archive

Matter of fact, I got a lot of old school go-go music (Trouble Funk, JYB, RE, etc). Gboro has a small time go-go based band (formed mostly by A&T students from DC area).

That said, Greensboro and Raleigh are about as far south as go-go penetrates or will hear it on the radio occassionally...and yes, NC is southern but does have many mid-atlantic tendencies as I once stated due to geographical proximity.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:31 PM

Thank you! But unfortunately, you see, if only black people (and me for some reason) know about it, it's not a legitimate thing apparently. Unlike livermush.

Backed hard on the NC connection too. I first heard it on IIRC WNAA way back in the dark ages.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:21 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,869,706 times
Go-Go might be popular in Black youth culture in DC, but to claim it's knowledge is limited to that, is like saying the only people that know what rap is are young blacks. Go-Go music is known in DC, period. Doesn't matter what color you are or if you listen to it at all. Also, DMV is popular term used by people in N.Va (also abbreviated NoVa, or NOVA), S. MD. and DC.

Here is the term being used by the local DC NBC affiliate, the same WRC 4 that an above poster said he watched but never heard of the term.
First Read | NBC4 Washington

In the Washington Post go-go music has been mentioned in 56 times in the last month. 19 articles & 26 blogs. One of the top trending local topics is Chuck Brown's hospitalization.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local

I will say that DMV is a relatively new term. It has literally only started being used in the last 6 years and widely used in the last two or three. Widely meaning throughout DMV. Also, Southbound says they are terms used by young people. If by young you mean populat for peopel in their 40's, early 50s, and younger, you'd be correct.

All of that said, DMV & go-go, are quintessential national capital region, not mid-atlantic

Old 05-09-2012, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Thank you! But unfortunately, you see, if only black people (and me for some reason) know about it, it's not a legitimate thing apparently. Unlike livermush.

Backed hard on the NC connection too. I first heard it on IIRC WNAA way back in the dark ages.
The best that I could find was in the link that I posted, after the other person posted what he or she found, It's local. In Philly, younger people, who are not into rock are into rap & want to be the next Will Smith.

Don't like the scrapple/livermush example? It's much more widespread. I could say that pepperpot soup is MidAtlantic, but it isn't. It's local to Philadelphias. There are other things that are regional, but since I think that you're trying to pick a fight, I'm done with this.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
Go-Go might be popular in Black youth culture in DC, but to claim it's knowledge is limited to that, is like saying the only people that know what rap is are young blacks. Go-Go music is known in DC, period. Doesn't matter what color you are or if you listen to it at all. Also, DMV is popular term used by people in N.Va (also abbreviated NoVa, or NOVA), S. MD. and DC.

Here is the term being used by the local DC NBC affiliate, the same WRC 4 that an above poster said he watched but never heard of the term.
First Read | NBC4 Washington

In the Washington Post go-go music has been mentioned in 56 times in the last month. 19 articles & 26 blogs. One of the top trending local topics is Chuck Brown's hospitalization.
Post Local: Washington, DC Area News, Traffic, Weather, Sports & More - The Washington Post

I will say that DMV is a relatively new term. It has literally only started being used in the last 6 years and widely used in the last two or three. Widely meaning throughout DMV. Also, Southbound says they are terms used by young people. If by young you mean populat for peopel in their 40's, early 50s, and younger, you'd be correct.

All of that said, DMV & go-go, are quintessential national capital region, not mid-atlantic
I said that I was not familiar with either & posted a link to what I found. If that's not right, fix it. It was Wiki.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina