Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 06:38 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,899,149 times

Advertisements

In the local paper there was an article about how a town on the east end is upset with the influx of newcomers (most from LI). They are trying to keep their small town rural feel and save land but houses, etc are being built and they worry that they will be priced out due to the newcomers...one woman cites she works in a supermarket and can't stand to hear complaints about what they don't sell there...worries of affordable housing...they have many small town mom and pop;s and don't want all the chain stores that take away the personal feel...taxes too are on the rise...many natives earn less the the newcomers and while they may own their homes and price increased, the other increases in costs, taxes, elec, etc are affecting them..the article does end to say that both natives and newcomers share the fondness for the lifesytle in the area.

These are real issues for all people everywhere no matter what state you reside or wish to go...these are native long islanders not wanting other ones in the area due to the above, a very similar sentiment to many natives in NC...except it is not native NCers coming to the area but others from everywhere.

It is sad to see for many them losing their "roots" because others feel the need to grow...you cannot blame the people moving there, builders build homes, companies and jobs go there and in turn is why people follow...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2006, 07:03 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,836,025 times
I know out in the Hamptons the locals were upset b/c all the buyers of the huge multimillion dollar second home mansions kept voting down theschool budget, since it was their second home they did not care about the schooling for the children of their gardeners & deli workers! The issue sort of died, NEwsday lost interest in it.

Old 08-08-2006, 07:31 PM

414 posts, read 1,376,713 times
The restaurants in the hamptons don't want big business because they then they wouldn't be able to sell $30+ per plate for food. The people complain about taxes. But they keep raising the school budget. Teachers make over 100k a year. Cops make over 100k a year. This is why hamptons taxes are so high. Its not all the great and the traffic is the worst.

Old 08-08-2006, 08:35 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,543,105 times
Similar situation with the taxes and schools here. People want to have better schools and increase teacher pay so that there won't be so much of a turnover (very uncommon for teachers to stay with a certain school for a long time here), and so that they can build and renovate schools to the meet the needs of the ridiculous growth; but god forbid they raise the property taxes. They already have a few times, but they are still well below the taxes in many other areas. Wake county and the city of Raleigh just raised theirs, and they also just started a lottery in hopes of getting more money for the schools; but that's turning out to not be much of a plan.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:32 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,836,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLTZ
The restaurants in the hamptons don't want big business because they then they wouldn't be able to sell $30+ per plate for food. The people complain about taxes. But they keep raising the school budget. Teachers make over 100k a year. Cops make over 100k a year. This is why hamptons taxes are so high. Its not all the great and the traffic is the worst.
Anyone who has read my posts knows we came to NC in large part to escape the high taxes on Long Island, but, it is disturbing when a few people who have no true roots in a place vote down paying for needed services since their needs are being met elsewhere.
My great aunt & great uncle lived in East Quogue in the 70's-80's. As a girl my family stayed out there all summer, every summer. Back then it was all about the water, walking around town chatting with people, we knew everyone, even the summer people. There were a few restaurants but no one would have gone there for the restaurants! Mostly you would fish or clam & go to the farmstand. There were artists too of couse but not hoity toity galleries.
Years later, after they passed away my husband & I were considering buying the house but it was too far from work, & by then the small town atmosphere had eroded quite a bit, so even if we had found new jobs, the place I had remembered was almost gone. Restaurants & outlet stores, fancy boutiques, and gridlock (gridlock!) for art openings! People walking around in Ralph Lauren "casual" clothing instead of damp swimsuits & t shirts. You can't live in a memory. My mom asked if I was going to drive by the old house before we left for NC but it was too sad so I did not.

So I guess some where would say the Hamptons were ruined by Yankees. Long Islanders would say it was ruined by "city people"

Old 08-09-2006, 09:18 AM

152 posts, read 475,577 times
Default I wasn't going to add my 2 cents, but....

after reading these posts about transplants/natives, I feel I have to comment. People try to escape more than just the high taxes. Have you seen Hempstead lately? Or Ozone Park? The immigrants that were escaping their countries for a better way of life have made these areas home now. And what happens then? People get nervous that their home values will decrease, and let's face it, racism is still everywhere, sad but true. When the Russians made Brooklyn their home, every white person took off. Same with Ozone Park, it used to be a white, blue collar nice place to live. Not any more. I don't know how many young white couples starting out would choose Hempstead to live in. So where do they go? Anyway, I'm babbling, but you get the point. People are in search of a better way of life, and it isn't just Americans. There are an influx of immigrants all around us, and it just seems to push and shuffle all the "locals" out of those areas.
And I have to wonder why some feel that $100,000 is too much $$ for school teachers? IMO, most of them deserve more than that. In some areas in LI, garbage men make more than teachers do. The teachers in my childrens school are wonderful, and I think they deserve every penny, plus.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:41 AM

954 posts, read 4,367,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie1014
after reading these posts about transplants/natives, I feel I have to comment. People try to escape more than just the high taxes. Have you seen Hempstead lately? Or Ozone Park? The immigrants that were escaping their countries for a better way of life have made these areas home now. And what happens then? People get nervous that their home values will decrease, and let's face it, racism is still everywhere, sad but true. When the Russians made Brooklyn their home, every white person took off. Same with Ozone Park, it used to be a white, blue collar nice place to live. Not any more. I don't know how many young white couples starting out would choose Hempstead to live in. So where do they go? Anyway, I'm babbling, but you get the point. People are in search of a better way of life, and it isn't just Americans. There are an influx of immigrants all around us, and it just seems to push and shuffle all the "locals" out of those areas.
And I have to wonder why some feel that $100,000 is too much $$ for school teachers? IMO, most of them deserve more than that. In some areas in LI, garbage men make more than teachers do. The teachers in my childrens school are wonderful, and I think they deserve every penny, plus.
I know this is a little off, but maybe not. I used to Pastor in NC, and have done some church consulting in NYC. I can cite several examples of huge church buildings in Both Manhattan and Brooklyn with only a handful of congregants left. Why? After the riots in the late 60s, most of the congregation fled to Long Island. Now the children of those folks are fleeing to NC. Never ends.

Old 08-09-2006, 10:37 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,899,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie1014

I agree people leave more then just taxes, but those same issues will occur anywhere, even NC...

Immigrants are in NC too, in fact, from a friend who lives in raleigh (rob can comment further) there are a lot of middle eastern people/aisian people who reside there as many of them are the ones with PH'ds working in the pharm industry.

There was also a recent article in the Char N&O about the influx of blacks (this is not racist intended) going to Charlotte...

There will also be some segreation in any area. If someone if nice and keeps their home up, they can be any color, I am white and there are some white people that I would not want to live near...it is the person, not the race necessarily...

Also in some sub-div in NC prices can range from $200 to one million (this adds to the diversity of any neighborhood)

Old 08-09-2006, 01:35 PM

2 posts, read 4,241 times
People are in search of a better way of life, and it isn't just Americans. There are an influx of immigrants all around us, and it just seems to push and shuffle all the "locals" out of those areas.

Didn't everyone from America come from someone who immigrated to America in search of a better way of life? White couples came from ancestors seeking this same thing. Why is it different for blacks, russians, asians, mexicans, middle easterns?......

Old 08-09-2006, 03:48 PM

152 posts, read 475,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC'er
People are in search of a better way of life, and it isn't just Americans. There are an influx of immigrants all around us, and it just seems to push and shuffle all the "locals" out of those areas.

Didn't everyone from America come from someone who immigrated to America in search of a better way of life? White couples came from ancestors seeking this same thing. Why is it different for blacks, russians, asians, mexicans, middle easterns?......
Maybe you misunderstood me. Thats exactly my point. There are always people looking for a better way of life. The point I tried to make (not very well) was you have an area thats predominantly white italians, and its a nice place to live, so other people start moving in, (whatever race, doesn't matter) and people don't like change, so there goes the white italians, moving on to start over. Then they pick an area that seems nice to them, and so on and so on. I can understand the "native NCers or Floridians" becoming upset with "Northeners" for taking over their space. But it's history, and it will never stop happening. People have to learn to be more tolerant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: