Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 11:19 AM

24 posts, read 127,169 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to North Carolina, and I would like to know how Charotte and Raleigh compare. Why would one choose Charlotte over Raleigh, and vise versa. Which city do you prefer more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 12:54 PM

79 posts, read 233,361 times
There are many differences ... the main one is Raleigh has roads! Not only an outer belt but actually two... the law makers for the state are mostly from the eastern part of the state and seems to get all of the state's road money, or at least seems like it.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:23 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseUSA View Post
I am considering moving to North Carolina, and I would like to know how Charotte and Raleigh compare. Why would one choose Charlotte over Raleigh, and vise versa. Which city do you prefer more?
People usually choose one over the other based on where they can find a job

Both are nice cities, both have a lot to offer, both have their drawbacks.

If I had school age kids there's no way in hell I'd jump into living in Raleigh on purpose and get all mixed up in the busing mess. Been there, done that before Charlotte wised up and went back to neighborhood schools.

But Raleigh does have less crime and a better job market at the moment. Charlotte has NASCAR, the NFL, NBA and more night life.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:29 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,367,981 times
Both cities have a high geek factor but I think Raleigh might be a bit worse. Charlotte's got all of the geeky bankers but does manage to be slightly cool, if you know where to look. In my frequent visits to Raleigh a few years back, I never found anything very cool about it. It is, as a colleague from there frequently points out, Nerdistan.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:56 PM

198 posts, read 641,908 times
My husband received job offers in both Raleigh and Charlotte, and we spent 5 weeks living in each city in order to compare them. After extensive research into both areas, here are the pros and cons we came up with:

- Raleigh has better schools *IN GENERAL.* I'm not saying all schools are bad here, but the public school system in Wake County is outstanding.

- Charlotte has more reasonably priced real estate. If you want a fairly updated, standard 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath house in the Raleigh area you will either pay megabucks (well over $500K) or be at least 45 minutes away.

- Raleigh has a very cool "Southern" vibe. The city has a lot of character. Walk around downtown during the day and you will see state senators walking around in seersucker suits, talking to people at outdoor cafes, etc. Charlotte, IMO, doesn't have much "character" since it is such a new city (I know it's been around a long time, but it didn't achieve "large city" status until the last 15 or so years).

- Charlotte has more city-type attractions. Definitely more of a night life, if that's important to you (downtown Raleigh after work hours is pretty dead). My sister, who lives in Raleigh, is a big shopper and is always coming to visit me so we can go to Concord Mills outlet mall, Hobby Lobby, furniture shopping, etc.

Ultimately we decided upon Charlotte because of the real estate prices and because it was a better job situation for my husband. But I have family in Raleigh and Durham and there are definitely a lot of advantages to that area. Raleigh is a beautiful city with a lot of history and charm.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:54 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,567,852 times
One of my best friends who lived in Charlotte for years and now lives in Raleigh says the people are much better looking in Charlotte!

Old 07-06-2010, 07:05 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,292,163 times
I live in Charlotte but prefer Raleigh because it's more of a college town. It brings a different hip vibe to the city. Also Raleigh has not torn down as many older downtown buildings which gives it additional character.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:06 PM

996 posts, read 1,896,356 times
Charlotte's got a lower coast of living. Raleigh's schools ARE better. Charlotte's bigger, and is more urban and is more of a city.

Raleigh, like ECM08 said has more of a "southern feeling"

Old 07-13-2010, 12:08 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM08 View Post
My husband received job offers in both Raleigh and Charlotte, and we spent 5 weeks living in each city in order to compare them. After extensive research into both areas, here are the pros and cons we came up with:

- Raleigh has better schools *IN GENERAL.* I'm not saying all schools are bad here, but the public school system in Wake County is outstanding.

- Charlotte has more reasonably priced real estate. If you want a fairly updated, standard 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath house in the Raleigh area you will either pay megabucks (well over $500K) or be at least 45 minutes away.

- Raleigh has a very cool "Southern" vibe. The city has a lot of character. Walk around downtown during the day and you will see state senators walking around in seersucker suits, talking to people at outdoor cafes, etc. Charlotte, IMO, doesn't have much "character" since it is such a new city (I know it's been around a long time, but it didn't achieve "large city" status until the last 15 or so years).

- Charlotte has more city-type attractions. Definitely more of a night life, if that's important to you (downtown Raleigh after work hours is pretty dead). My sister, who lives in Raleigh, is a big shopper and is always coming to visit me so we can go to Concord Mills outlet mall, Hobby Lobby, furniture shopping, etc.

Ultimately we decided upon Charlotte because of the real estate prices and because it was a better job situation for my husband. But I have family in Raleigh and Durham and there are definitely a lot of advantages to that area. Raleigh is a beautiful city with a lot of history and charm.
Houses in Raleigh are NOT that expensive. Standard 3 bedroom houses are nowhere near 500K on average. That's hyperbole. I'd say that the average is closer to half that price. That said, I do generally agree that housing is more expensive in Raleigh but not by much.

I can't speak for Charlotte so I won't.

Advantages to Raleigh from my point of view:
  1. Lowest crime rate of all large NC cities
    Best performing large public school system in the state
    The Triangle (overall area) has the lowest unemployment rate in the state
    Raleigh offers all state museums and cultural resources afforded to a capital city
    Raleigh has adjacent communities that make up the greater Triangle area and each comes with its own vibe, actitivities and cultures.
    Raleigh has an enormous college/university presence and one of the most educated populations in the nation. In fact, it was recently listed as the nation's smartest city/metro.
    Raleigh is experiencing a renaissance of its downtown with block after block of restored historic storefronts coming back to life.
    If you like college sports, the Triangle is one of the kings of college rivalries with 3 schools competing at the highest level as part of the ACC.
    The NHL Carolina Hurricanes Hockey team is in Raleigh.
    The Parks and Recreation department in Raleigh is outstanding and the city boasts miles and miles of greenways that criss cross the city. The city also has huge youth soccer leagues, an array of public pools and tennis facilities.
    Umstead Park is one of the largest urban forests in the nation. It's wholy within the city of Raleigh.
    Raleigh Durham International has inexpensive flights because it has Southwest Airlines to keep the competition honest.
    The Raleigh/Cary MSA is the fastest growing metro in the nation and is projected to be so through 2030.
    Raleigh constantly finds itself on the "best of..." lists year after year after year.
    Raleigh's pretty close to the coast. In 1:45, you can be in Wilmington.
    Raleigh's filled with people from all over the place. They are drawn by the universities, the government, the high tech and biotech companies and the general quality of life. You are likely to find someone like you in Raleigh.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:00 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,097 times
I started out in Charlotte and pretty much hated it...lots of traffic and crime and banker-types. Also very much Bible belt-ish IMO. Raleigh is much more spread out, not as 'religious' and much more down to earth. I am soooo much happier here. And I'm a wake county teacher, and YES the schools are wayyyyyyy better here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina