Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 05:23 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times

Advertisements

Bring money. Read the numerous posts about switching a vehicle over to NC. The state carries a hefty personal property tax and one time fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 12:37 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shydaxx View Post
One questions just got here from florida 3 days ago and im trying to get a new plate since mine is getting expired but i havent find a place to live yet anyone can give me a head up if i can get a plate here without having a license from NC or how do i get a NC license with being my address miami florida ???
Basically, what Sunny is saying is that you can't get a NC plate without a NC residence and driver's license. Normally, when you move, you get the license first and then the tag. Without a NC residence you can't get either. I don't believe they accept PO boxes.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Bring money. Read the numerous posts about switching a vehicle over to NC. The state carries a hefty personal property tax and one time fee.
Correction - property tax is local, not state. The state has just recently begun collecting the personal property tax on vehicles for the counties/cities. Property tax rates in NC vary widely. In general, property taxes aren't that bad in NC except for some city/county combined rates. I pay less on my car in NC than I did the previous year in SC. In both cases, I pay/paid county tax only, no city.

You are right that the one time fee - NC Highway Use Tax - can be a bit onerous.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:06 AM

2 posts, read 4,413 times
Default registering out-of-state rv in nc

I'm waiting for a reply from DMV so thought I'd ask here. I've bought an RV in Washington state and want to transfer title to NC, register and tag it here but use it mostly for travel out of state. If I take the title to DMV to transfer and get a tag, am I required to get a NC inspection to do this? I've done this in the past but can't remember. Clearly, with the RV in Washington at the moment, I can't get it inspected here. I don't want to title and tag it out there if I can help it since the cost is about double what it is here. I'm not sure I can even tag it there since I'm not a resident. Thanks, Bill

Old 04-01-2015, 06:42 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordzenpix View Post
I'm waiting for a reply from DMV so thought I'd ask here. I've bought an RV in Washington state and want to transfer title to NC, register and tag it here but use it mostly for travel out of state. If I take the title to DMV to transfer and get a tag, am I required to get a NC inspection to do this? I've done this in the past but can't remember. Clearly, with the RV in Washington at the moment, I can't get it inspected here. I don't want to title and tag it out there if I can help it since the cost is about double what it is here. I'm not sure I can even tag it there since I'm not a resident. Thanks, Bill
NCDMV has a temporary registration they issue for situations like this. It allows you to drive the vehicle in order to have it inspected prior to titling. licensing, etc. I assume that would be the solution, but I've only used that once, and strictly in-state, so I have no idea how the out of state issue may affect it.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:29 AM

135 posts, read 162,664 times
Interesting...are the rules for RVs different than they are for cars / pickups? We've gotten our licenses and have gotten tags for all but one of our daily vehicles (son had it and some of the things we needed out of state) but we'll be getting that taken care of next week - along with our RV which is currently titled and tagged in VA. I didn't realize I would have to get an inspection on it prior to licensing it as the inspection wasn't required for the other vehicles. Can anyone confirm if we need to do an inspection on the RV prior to tagging the RV in NC? We've already gotten the insurance set and want to be sure we get it taken care of next week.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-03-2015, 05:58 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBonz View Post
Interesting...are the rules for RVs different than they are for cars / pickups? We've gotten our licenses and have gotten tags for all but one of our daily vehicles (son had it and some of the things we needed out of state) but we'll be getting that taken care of next week - along with our RV which is currently titled and tagged in VA. I didn't realize I would have to get an inspection on it prior to licensing it as the inspection wasn't required for the other vehicles. Can anyone confirm if we need to do an inspection on the RV prior to tagging the RV in NC? We've already gotten the insurance set and want to be sure we get it taken care of next week.

Thanks in advance!
This is from the DMV website (edited):

Step 1 Before a license plate can be issued, the following is needed:
Vehicle must be registered & titled in North Carolina

Step 2, Inspection
Next, you'll need to get your vehicle inspected.

Step 3, Submit Information & Pay Fees
Payments for transactions at License Plate Agencies Offices are accepted in the form of cash, money order, personal checks[?] or credit cards (limited to Visa, MasterCard and Discover).

Old 04-14-2015, 01:31 PM

2 posts, read 4,413 times
Default registration/inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBonz View Post

Thanks in advance!
I completed the registration, title transfer and plate purchase for NC last week with the RV still in Washington state. This is a snip from a DMV email response to my question:

The inspection on the vehicle will not be due till next year when it is time to renew the plate.

If you are out of state at the time of renewal then You can contact our Emissions Dept. at 1-877-421-0020 to see about getting the vehicle inspected where you are and returning the results to NC so you can renew online.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordzenpix View Post
I completed the registration, title transfer and plate purchase for NC last week with the RV still in Washington state. This is a snip from a DMV email response to my question:

The inspection on the vehicle will not be due till next year when it is time to renew the plate.

If you are out of state at the time of renewal then You can contact our Emissions Dept. at 1-877-421-0020 to see about getting the vehicle inspected where you are and returning the results to NC so you can renew online.
This should be very helpful to others. Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:30 AM

2 posts, read 1,454 times
We have an office in North Carolina and our trucks operate on a Florida IRP plate; do we need an insurance card for North Carolina or Florida?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina