Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 09:08 PM

49 posts, read 131,073 times

Advertisements

so my husband is a grad student here in NC and we are not planning on staying here in NC when he is done. So our out of state plates are expiring. we are wanting to just renew them from our old state since we are planning on returning. however he needs a nc license to get a motorcycle license since all he had was a permit in previous state.
is it possible to do the previous state license plate and nc drivers license?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 10:57 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
License and tags (plates) are handled completely separately here. You are supposed to replace your out-of-state tags within (60?) days of moving here, but I know many, many who do not. Their philosophy is often "The fine I'd have to pay would be less than the expense/hassle of changing over". Lots and lots of folks keep their old tags much longer than they are supposed to. Take this with a grain of salt.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:52 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
add to the above... You may get in a license check and the out of state plate makes you a target
not only for cops but thieves. It just takes one license check...

Old 07-08-2010, 05:03 AM

467 posts, read 1,188,614 times
According to a fellow California native friend who moved to WNC in 2004 - Yes

I laugh everytime I see her California plates.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:35 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
I knew a person who drove for almost 3 years on EXPIRED out of state plates and had a NC driver's license for 18 months and NC insurance for 3 years.

One day the NCSP had a license check point 2 blocks from his house. He stayed home for 3 days before heading out to get NC plates.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:19 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
I have homes in both Florida and NC and keep a NC plate on my Raleigh car and carry a Florida driver's license. Even when I got into an accident, it wasn't a big deal. The officer asked me about it and I told him that I had homes in both places and that was all that was said. BTW, the accident wasn't my fault! :-)
If you are going to keep an old plate, I'd make sure that I had an address to associate it with. Perhaps your parents' address?

Old 02-01-2014, 09:07 PM

4 posts, read 38,018 times
One questions just got here from florida 3 days ago and im trying to get a new plate since mine is getting expired but i havent find a place to live yet anyone can give me a head up if i can get a plate here without having a license from NC or how do i get a NC license with being my address miami florida ???

Old 02-01-2014, 09:27 PM

Step 1, Requirements

• Must have a valid Driver License/ID.
  • If there are co-owners to be recorded on a title, all signatures on required documents must be notarized and accompanied by a black and white copy of the alternate owner’s valid Driver License/ID or a Power of Attorney must be provided to sign for the co-owners.
  • If mailing in your title work, please provide a copy of your valid North Carolina Driver License.
  • If you are a new North Carolina resident moving from out-of-state, you must wait to register your vehicle until after you receive your official NC Driver License. The Temporary Driving Certificate (TDC) cannot be used to register a vehicle in North Carolina.
If you are a non-resident of the state of North Carolina, you will need to bring 1 additional document that proves one of the following:
  • Military active duty stationed in NC;
  • College enrollment in a NC school;
  • Vehicle garaged in NC for a minimum of 6 months each year;
  • Court-ordered sale of a vehicle;
  • Vehicle is co-owned;
  • Registration for a motor home; or
  • Documented medical condition
Step 3, Complete Appropriate Forms

If you are registering a vehicle you'll need to complete the appropriate forms and documents. Choose one of the below categories that best describes what you're doing, then complete and fill out the corresponding documents and forms.

See part on instant title after you get a NCDL
NCDOT: Titles

Old 02-01-2014, 11:54 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Step 1, Requirements
  • Must have a valid Driver License/ID.
  • If there are co-owners to be recorded on a title, all signatures on required documents must be notarized and accompanied by a black and white copy of the alternate owner’s valid Driver License/ID or a Power of Attorney must be provided to sign for the co-owners.
  • If mailing in your title work, please provide a copy of your valid North Carolina Driver License.
  • If you are a new North Carolina resident moving from out-of-state, you must wait to register your vehicle until after you receive your official NC Driver License. The Temporary Driving Certificate (TDC) cannot be used to register a vehicle in North Carolina.
If you are a non-resident of the state of North Carolina, you will need to bring 1 additional document that proves one of the following:
  • Military active duty stationed in NC;
  • College enrollment in a NC school;
  • Vehicle garaged in NC for a minimum of 6 months each year;
  • Court-ordered sale of a vehicle;
  • Vehicle is co-owned;
  • Registration for a motor home; or
  • Documented medical condition
Step 3, Complete Appropriate Forms

If you are registering a vehicle you'll need to complete the appropriate forms and documents. Choose one of the below categories that best describes what you're doing, then complete and fill out the corresponding documents and forms.

See part on instant title after you get a NCDL
NCDOT: Titles
The question was asked 3.5 years ago, but I think you've answered the question backwards. They asked if you could have a local license but an out of state PLATE, while you answered about getting a local PLATE.

You don't have to own a car at all to get a license, so it should not come into play what state your car was registered in, to get an NC Driver License. The steps above would be what it would take to get the car registered here.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
The question was asked 3.5 years ago, but I think you've answered the question backwards. They asked if you could have a local license but an out of state PLATE, while you answered about getting a local PLATE.

You don't have to own a car at all to get a license, so it should not come into play what state your car was registered in, to get an NC Driver License. The steps above would be what it would take to get the car registered here.
I was actually answering the post above mine that revived this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina