U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 11:02 AM

35 posts, read 54,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i think we are deviating from the topic here. the OP wants to know if anyone from NJ has moved to NC and then moved back. it's not unheard of. home will always be home, and people move for different reasons, but maybe given the chance they would like to move back home.
it is absolutely different down here for many reasons. some people assimilate quickly, some people like the new change, and some people see only the bad and none of the good.
i try to see the good in my life down here and though i do miss "home" and family, i try to remember why we left it in the first place.
i will say though, that people from NY/NJ do much better in places like Cary, Wake Forest and Apex, because there is a larger concentration of northerners there.
many people who move to more rural areas dont have such an easy time of it.
you're right about the rural area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 11:18 AM

5,902 posts, read 8,886,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i think we are deviating from the topic here. the OP wants to know if anyone from NJ has moved to NC and then moved back. it's not unheard of. home will always be home, and people move for different reasons, but maybe given the chance they would like to move back home.
it is absolutely different down here for many reasons. some people assimilate quickly, some people like the new change, and some people see only the bad and none of the good.
i try to see the good in my life down here and though i do miss "home" and family, i try to remember why we left it in the first place.
i will say though, that people from NY/NJ do much better in places like Cary, Wake Forest and Apex, because there is a larger concentration of northerners there.
many people who move to more rural areas dont have such an easy time of it.
There's a significant concentration of "northeners" around Charlotte, as well... i.e. Western Union County, certain areas around Lake Norman, etc.

Informed decisions are informed decisions. Anyone not doing the proper research shouldn't be surprised - those who don't and complain later don't get my sympathy.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:13 PM

8,190 posts, read 13,079,221 times
[quote=nykess99;15019565We eventually moved to Charlotte and it is crime ridden and racist.[/QUOTE]

It would be laughable that someone from NY would say this about Charlotte (Amadou Diallo, Sean Bell anyone????) if it wasn't so seriously sad.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:19 AM

17 posts, read 30,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKIE27 View Post
??????? If you count them all up they are close????? Not even in the same ballpark, neither are house prices? And how is the mentality the same exactly?
Real estate taxes are lower but then personal property taxes appeal to NC because they can get into the pockets of every poor downtrodden minimum wage earning member of NC society. Believe me there's plenty of those because NC has schooled folks to pull tobacco and pick cotton and little else. Add to that the way NC supports the activities of those who capitalize on the misfortune and desperation of others and you have NJ in it's early days of learning how to screw the public.
Ever count up the taxes? As a bordertown dweller, I go to Virginia to buy many things because they're less expensive due to taxation. Every time I see the taxes referenced in a purchase, I think of the one thing of value to me provided with tax dollars,,,,roads and highways!

To pay any taxes at all to prop up NC's bureaucracies is insulting. To return to NJ and be molested by the police every week is no better.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:48 PM

168 posts, read 453,364 times
You mean sales tax? In NJ, the sales tax rate is 7% compared to NC's 8% (From what I hear it can be less or more than that depending on where you live, that is what it is near me), and food is taxed 2%. There is no sales tax on clothes or (necessary) food in NJ, but I really only need uniforms for NC during the week for school, and for the weekends I can use my closet full of clothes I already have. I get on a car, or something of that sort it can add up, a little, but once we buy a house we will be making close to a $100,000 profit on our house in NJ after we buy the NC house, have a way nicer house than we have now, we will be saving $5,000 per year in property taxes, I am a junior in high school and I was going to go to college in NC whether we moved there or not, so with that I'll be saving around $50,000 (give or take, depending if I decide to live at home, if so for how long) on college expenses, health insurance is better than we have now, and we will be paying a quarter of what we pay now, auto will be around the same (my dad has a longer commute to work), and my dad found a job where he will be making $1,000 more per year than he is making now (not much, but when the COL is much less, that is great), with room for increase, which wasn't an opportunity we had in NJ. So even if we spend $30,000 per year on things with sales tax, that would be maybe a $500 dollar a year increase tops. So for us it is worth it, I'm not saying it is worth is for everyone, but in our situation it made sense. Plus, we love the attitudes of EVERYONE we met down there so far, it is nice not being constantly surrounded by NY/NJ a**holes all the time And trust me NOWHERE is as corrupt as NJ, maybe it is getting slightly better but the corruption here is ridiculous.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:51 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,986,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykess99 View Post
We moved to NC two years ago from NY and it is a nightmare. We moved to Matthews and then looked for a larger place to find one scam after another as a renters. We came here to get settled and then buy a home. We eventually moved to Charlotte and it is crime ridden and racist. The saying "Southern Hospitality" does not apply here. As soon as we can we are moving back to New York. It is not just that the economy crashed, Charlotte is still embedded with a racist infrastructure--that anyone coming from the northern states will noticed--from, jobs, housing, economic, education. The city has grown, but it has not caught up with diversity. Even finding nice ethnic shops, and restaurants--they rarely exist. The place lacks the cultural stimulation you have in the north and if you wanted to either be pushed into all white neighborhoods, or predominately black neighborhoods as your choice of living--it sours the experience. And although there are integrated communities--the essence of what a community is does not exist here. This is a fake city.
To be blunt, this post is nonsense. There may be a few episodes or pockets of antiYankee-ism in the area, but I find the Charlotte area to be more than hospitable. Blending into the southern society will garner much more positive reactions down here than bringing an attitude!

Old 08-13-2010, 10:00 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,986,093 times
Oh yeah, to the OP... No, we'll never move back to NJ. It took us almost thirty years to get out of there to head south (and we lived in a nice area on the shore). We have some fun memories of growing up there and we do like to visit our friends, but we have absolutely no desire to live there again.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:13 PM

10,521 posts, read 20,565,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victim of the State View Post
To pay any taxes at all to prop up NC's bureaucracies is insulting. To return to NJ and be molested by the police every week is no better.
Wow--who knew the ONLY two possible places to live in the whole USA were NC and NJ!?

Old 08-16-2010, 01:32 PM

168 posts, read 453,364 times
Now, that I live here, NC sales tax is NOT bad in the slightest. Got about $100 in groceries and paid $1.94 tax, I can live with that.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:46 PM

17 posts, read 30,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKIE27 View Post
You mean sales tax? In NJ, the sales tax rate is 7% compared to NC's 8% (From what I hear it can be less or more than that depending on where you live, that is what it is near me), and food is taxed 2%. There is no sales tax on clothes or (necessary) food in NJ, but I really only need uniforms for NC during the week for school, and for the weekends I can use my closet full of clothes I already have. I get on a car, or something of that sort it can add up, a little, but once we buy a house we will be making close to a $100,000 profit on our house in NJ after we buy the NC house, have a way nicer house than we have now, we will be saving $5,000 per year in property taxes, I am a junior in high school and I was going to go to college in NC whether we moved there or not, so with that I'll be saving around $50,000 (give or take, depending if I decide to live at home, if so for how long) on college expenses, health insurance is better than we have now, and we will be paying a quarter of what we pay now, auto will be around the same (my dad has a longer commute to work), and my dad found a job where he will be making $1,000 more per year than he is making now (not much, but when the COL is much less, that is great), with room for increase, which wasn't an opportunity we had in NJ. So even if we spend $30,000 per year on things with sales tax, that would be maybe a $500 dollar a year increase tops. So for us it is worth it, I'm not saying it is worth is for everyone, but in our situation it made sense. Plus, we love the attitudes of EVERYONE we met down there so far, it is nice not being constantly surrounded by NY/NJ a**holes all the time And trust me NOWHERE is as corrupt as NJ, maybe it is getting slightly better but the corruption here is ridiculous.

Count em up,,, taxes on phone, tires,sarellite tv and on and on it goes along with the personal property taxes and the $.15 extra gasoline costs per gallon in NC,,,someone is always in your pocket for fees and taxes for which I at least receive no benefit whatsoever. Since you're such a staunch defender of NC,, I leave it to you and we can agree to disagree. Unless you're determined to put me in my place. Being a freedom lover, I feel resentment to a degree which no one will dissuade me. BTW,, I feel good for your Dad but a $.50 / hr increase in pay is typical in NC. I received a $4.00 / hr increase in VA for merely demonstrating my proficiency in my work,,,,didn't beg and plead for it. In NC,, I worked in service to an ungrateful master for 2 1/2 years without an increase,,,so I quit and moved on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina