U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 02:51 PM

17,499 posts, read 35,434,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i bet 10 years ago the only foods you really had were BBQ, and now maybe you are starting to taste more real Mexican, Italian, Brazilian, Cuban, Portuguese, Indian etc etc foods and families and culture and languages, the more your children will realize that the world is a big place with many customs and differnces and how they are all beautiful and valid.
how can you NOT want all these things??
You don't think regions should have their own identity? The reason different people of the world have different customs is because they are kept apart enough to keep them valid. Once you have every culture in one place the validity of them diminishes and you have one big pot of bland crap.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 09:06 PM

4,898 posts, read 17,244,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
You don't think regions should have their own identity? The reason different people of the world have different customs is because they are kept apart enough to keep them valid. Once you have every culture in one place the validity of them diminishes and you have one big pot of bland crap.
yes regions do have their own identity. i know i am proud of where i am from and the way i grew up. i wish the same for everyone.

but the fact is that this is the time of change for this area. every place goes through change and growth. this point in history is a time of change for NC. i just think that many people are not ready for it or are not happy about it.

the neighborhood i grew up in is not the same now as it was then. i will miss that time forever, but things change and we have to change with it.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:27 PM

17,499 posts, read 35,434,382 times
Quote:
this point in history is a time of change for NC. i just think that many people are not ready for it or are not happy about it.
And that's perfectly natural. Not everyone is the type to just throw their hands up and say "oh well".

Old 08-28-2010, 07:45 PM

164 posts, read 327,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Even 30, 40 years ago we had plenty of "fine dining" places in this area, far more than BBQ.
Meh. You had a few 30-40 years ago. Nothing compared to other areas in the USA.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,294 times
I moved from nj and now living in opie ville!!! it is all about them down here,they dont care about whats going on in your life!!!! they never stop talking enough to listen. i miss good food and many etc!!!! Please dont get me started i have a list. the worst mistake of my life.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey312 View Post
I moved from nj and now living in opie ville!!! it is all about them down here,they dont care about whats going on in your life!!!! they never stop talking enough to listen. i miss good food and many etc!!!! Please dont get me started i have a list. the worst mistake of my life.
my husband and i see cars from NJ and NY and yell in our cars--"don't do it" lol
don't think of it as a mistake. i asked my DH this just yesterday...if someone had said don't do it when we first came to visit and check it out, would we have listened? NO! we wanted out of NJ, we wanted out of the grind, we wanted away from those taxes and attitudes and dreary freezing winters.
it's not a mistake, it's a learning experience. without it, you would never know and appreciate what you had.

we moved here for basically the same reasons others from NJ/NY do. cost of living, beautiful weather, slower pace. also we were BURNED OUT back home. i remember when we first got down here we were convinced this would be forever, who in the world would want to go back??
we tried to convince my parents to get down here ASAP.

but after a couple of years you start to realize there really is no place like home. growing up in NJ/ NY we are so used to just everything and having it all at our fingertips. things down here didnt change as much, people didnt really move down here from other nations as much as they did up there. people who did move here became completely Americanized while up there they retained their cultures more. that changes the whole tapestry of an area.

for all it's faults i still miss home every day and hope to return if not exactly there, closer so i can get there faster than a 10 hour car ride.
i certainly will miss MANY things about NC and we have made MANY freinds here, natives and transplants alike. we will miss the winters, autumns and springs here.

but like Bon Jovi says "who said you can't go home?"... really listen to the words he says, and you will see we have all done it. no one says we can't go back.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:51 PM

202 posts, read 307,258 times
Quote:

but like Bon Jovi says "who said you can't go home?"... really listen to the words he says, and you will see we have all done it. no one says we can't go back.
Hey sorry had to remove most of your quote so I could type. I understand where you are coming from. Charlotte is the third area I lived in originally from pgh, then lived in dc for nearly 20 years. Moved here a little more than a year ago. I love it though and don't miss anything about the dc metro area. That place sucks! I still refer to pgh as home even after not living there for close to 20 years now. That being said I would never move back there or any place that moved away from. There is a reason you moved away from there in the first place. Is Charlotte my final destination? As long as I am alive in 20 years I would say heck no! I love this place for what it is to my family. Unlike dc I can support my wife and three kids on my own income. My wife can stay at home and we can send our kids to private schools too. Our house is nicer and the people are much friendlier. But as I have told my wife in 15-17 years when the last child is in college we are headed to a beach town along the coast. Not sure where, but we will leave this area for a new adventure.

I don't want to move back from where I started. Keep moving forward. Things are never the same as you remember them anyway. Places change and so do people.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:13 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,045,973 times
Been here 3 years after 15 in NJ, and still love it here, no regrets. We go back and visit friends (the only thing in NJ we miss) and every time it reinforces our decision to be here and not there. We know lots of people that moved down here from the New York area (many to be near grandchildren which was not our case) and they also remain very happy here.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:59 PM

3,223 posts, read 8,896,607 times
I think people have problems because they don't leave their old ways and expectations back home.. And if u really want what unique things NC offers and southern culture, don't move to Raleigh or Charlotte. Also NC is cheaper, but that doesn't mean u can just move there with limited funds and expect to keep a nice job. I can work and have a nice cheap home in parts of NJ, but NC in the hills is what I want. I want to be away from cities and industry, so with that in mind I have to afford it and not count on a stable job once I move there.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
I think people have problems because they don't leave their old ways and expectations back home.. And if u really want what unique things NC offers and southern culture, don't move to Raleigh or Charlotte. Also NC is cheaper, but that doesn't mean u can just move there with limited funds and expect to keep a nice job. I can work and have a nice cheap home in parts of NJ, but NC in the hills is what I want. I want to be away from cities and industry, so with that in mind I have to afford it and not count on a stable job once I move there.
i said the EXACT same thing about everyone who moved down here and then complained they hated it. now i just feel differently. and you cant know how you will feel until you take that chance. i just know that we loved it, and we still like it and will miss it, but this is just not our last stop for our family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina