Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 02:50 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,308 times

Advertisements

Those of you who say that NC doesn't have southern hospitality...Ever thought about looking at where those people are from? 95% are probably from lovely NJ or Florida by way of NJ. And if you hate it that bad, please don't hesitate to move back. I wont be complaining. Now excuse me while I got back to 'picking my tobacco', because you know that's all us NC people know how to do. (And you wonder why we hate northerners? It couldn't be your rude and 'im better than you' attitude could it?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 03:07 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,490,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Those of you who say that NC doesn't have southern hospitality...Ever thought about looking at where those people are from? 95% are probably from lovely NJ or Florida by way of NJ. And if you hate it that bad, please don't hesitate to move back. I wont be complaining. Now excuse me while I got back to 'picking my tobacco', because you know that's all us NC people know how to do. (And you wonder why we hate northerners? It couldn't be your rude and 'im better than you' attitude could it?)
now who is jumping to conclusions? the NICEST people i have met down here are NOT from NC! they are from everywhere else!
the only rude ones i have met--and that is NOT to say that ALL southerners are rude, but the ones who have been rude to me have all been from NC and Virginia

Old 08-20-2010, 03:34 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
now who is jumping to conclusions? the NICEST people i have met down here are NOT from NC! they are from everywhere else!
the only rude ones i have met--and that is NOT to say that ALL southerners are rude, but the ones who have been rude to me have all been from NC and Virginia
Has it ever occurred to any of you (for lack of a better term, relocators) that Southerners are turning inward to each other? Maybe that's where the hospitality is relocating.

There is a seize mentality wafting over the South right now. We're feeling invaded. Hence, when you hear a familiar accent, you feel an immediate bond. When you hear a foreign (and yes, NJ/NY/MA is foreign to us) accent, there is a propensity to retreat. It's in our DNA.

I think you'll find that relocators who adapt to our customs are more warmly welcomed. Remember, we didn't ask for any of this. We don't appreciate being forced to change.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Has it ever occurred to any of you (for lack of a better term, relocators) that Southerners are turning inward to each other? Maybe that's where the hospitality is relocating.

There is a seize mentality wafting over the South right now. We're feeling invaded. Hence, when you hear a familiar accent, you feel an immediate bond. When you hear a foreign (and yes, NJ/NY/MA is foreign to us) accent, there is a propensity to retreat. It's in our DNA.

I think you'll find that relocators who adapt to our customs are more warmly welcomed. Remember, we didn't ask for any of this. We don't appreciate being forced to change.
you do realize that NY, NJ CT, MA have been "invaded" as you say for the past 200 years, don't you??
that is where foreigners relocate to...since this is all one country and we are free to move around, we can "invade" anywhere we like, as you can go up north, we can come down south.
if this is a supposed "melting pot" for which this country was founded, i am surprised that the supposed most "patriotic" people of the south are so unwilling to welcome their own countrymen.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:39 PM

True. But the South has been invaded twice by the north.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:08 PM

[quote=findinghope;15558460]you do realize that NY, NJ CT, MA have been "invaded" as you say for the past 200 years, don't you??
that is where foreigners relocate to...since this is all one country and we are free to move around, we can "invade" anywhere we like, as you can go up north, we can come down south.
if this is a supposed "melting pot" for which this country was founded, i am surprised that the supposed most "patriotic" people of the south are so unwilling to welcome their own countrymen.[/quote]

Also, I think we DO welcome our own countrymen -- the ones who adapt and respect our customs and beliefs. It's the ones who come in and try to change the South that we don't care for. You know the ones who *** on a cell phone in the grocery store, drop doors in your face, and complain about ignorant rednecks.

We don't want unions, high taxes, gun control, pushy, rude people, overdevelopment etc. All the things that make the North miserable (I'll never, ever, ever consider moving north, btw) We worry that y'all are going to move in and start electing the same dumb Democrats that got the North in the pickle it's in. (Look at NC/VA turning Obama blue last election -- look at the mess of Perdue/Hagan.)

And, before you get on your high horse, I'm not telling you how to vote; I'm just saying don't expect to be liked if you vote like a Northerner.

And, btw, Chris Christie seems to cleaning up the mess in NJ. I heard his approval rating is something like 60%. Hmmmmm.

Last edited by LynchburgLover; 08-20-2010 at 06:25 PM..

Old 08-21-2010, 06:20 AM

17 posts, read 31,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Wow--who knew the ONLY two possible places to live in the whole USA were NC and NJ!?

Thanks for the well thought out response!

Old 08-21-2010, 06:28 AM

17 posts, read 31,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post

No hesitation in accepting the cash brought down from NJ eh? Once the money runs thin, so goes the hospitality. As a northerner, (hated northerner as you point out) I've shown more hospitality than I've been shown. When I have local folks over for a cookout, they eye up my property and insist they be allowed to hunt and fish my place because 50 years ago their grandfather knew the guy that sold it to me. When I ask if I can share what they have, they act gutshot! No thanks,, I'll keep my "Northern Hospitality" and be watchful of the guests with selfish ideas.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:27 AM

[quote=LynchburgLover;15559597]
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
you do realize that NY, NJ CT, MA have been "invaded" as you say for the past 200 years, don't you??
if this is a supposed "melting pot" for which this country was founded, i am surprised that the supposed most "patriotic" people of the south are so unwilling to welcome their own countrymen.[/quote]

Also, I think we DO welcome our own countrymen -- the ones who adapt and respect our customs and beliefs. It's the ones who come in and try to change the South that we don't care for. You know the ones who *** on a cell phone in the grocery store, drop doors in your face, and complain about ignorant rednecks.

We don't want unions, high taxes, gun control, pushy, rude people, overdevelopment etc. All the things that make the North miserable (I'll never, ever, ever consider moving north, btw) We worry that y'all are going to move in and start electing the same dumb Democrats that got the North in the pickle it's in. (Look at NC/VA turning Obama blue last election -- look at the mess of Perdue/Hagan.)

And, before you get on your high horse, I'm not telling you how to vote; I'm just saying don't expect to be liked if you vote like a Northerner.

And, btw, Chris Christie seems to cleaning up the mess in NJ. I heard his approval rating is something like 60%. Hmmmmm.

wow, LYNCHBURG LOVER, i dont even know where to start here...too many statements that cannot be true, dare i say ignorant?

so only northerners "***" on cell phones in the grocery store?
only northerners vote democrat
only northerners have unions
i cant be liked if i vote "like a northerner"

southern hospitality at it's finest

Old 08-21-2010, 08:49 AM

they call it the UNITED STATES of America, but i am honestly starting to think its the 2 nations of northern America and southern America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina