Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 08:43 PM

6,150 posts, read 9,969,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
One of the big things for me is that 10 years ago, you could drive around and have people actually use blinkers, wave thanks if you let them in, and a generally nice atmosphere when driving.

I'm not saying all of NC drivers are perfect, but with the huge influx of all of the NY/NJer's the roads have become miserable to be on. You guys always cut people off, don't use blinkers, and have some serious road rage problems.

Gone are the days of people waving a thanks for letting you in.
Don't you love when they have the Yankees logo across the entire back of the SUV?! lol

I get it, but driving threads just deteriorate into silliness... It really comes down to simply how easy it became to move down here. Good or bad, they didn't just let it happen, they welcomed the development. Now they're kind of stuck needing to finish off what they started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 10:15 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,721,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKIE27 View Post

I don't want to argue with you,I just want to address a few things. I honestly haven't noticed a difference in gas at all. As far as sales tax, it does sort-of-kind of benefit you, it goes to the schools, and if the 13 cents I pay on my grocery bill is going to help NC schools for my kids and their kids, then I'm happy to pay it.[...] and when housing/property taxes are SO much less in NC (there really isn't a debate over that) it is a big deal.
You've got this very much backwards. Property tax, not sales tax, funds the schools. So the admitted lower property tax in NC means less money for schools than in NJ. Higher sales tax just goes to fund state govt (which, despite such a huge influx in population, is still very much in deficit and laying off people and programs)

Quote:
What are you speaking of them bringing in "massive quantities in such short time"? Their families?!
Traffic (just because it's "less traffic than up North" doesn't mean it's not much MUCH worse here than it used to be, getting worse every year), less friendliness (you admit that yourself), more complaining, eventually higher costs as "Northern incomes" hit our housing (etc) market and drive up the prices. In short, everything people say they are moving to get away from: Traffic, rudeness, high prices--they are bringing here, at least compared to how it was 15-20 years ago. Not that they care, since it's still better than what they were used to (lucky us).

Quote:
i bet 10 years ago the only foods you really had were BBQ,
Not only is this an unbelievably arrogant (although typical of many transplants--"you'd be nowhere without US rescuing you from your redneck ways!! You should thank us!!" ) attitude, it is not even true. Even 30, 40 years ago we had plenty of "fine dining" places in this area, far more than BBQ. Perhaps you should do a little more research before rudely insulting everyone in a particular area that you chose to move to. Thankfully, most transplants don't have your attitude, but enough do that the stereotype prevails.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:34 PM

6,150 posts, read 9,969,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Traffic (just because it's "less traffic than up North" doesn't mean it's not much MUCH worse here than it used to be, getting worse every year), less friendliness (you admit that yourself), more complaining, eventually higher costs as "Northern incomes" hit our housing (etc) market and drive up the prices. In short, everything people say they are moving to get away from: Traffic, rudeness, high prices--they are bringing here, at least compared to how it was 15-20 years ago. Not that they care, since it's still better than what they were used to (lucky us).
Believe me... I understand the traffic thing, drives me nuts myself. Poor city planning - you can't blame the transplants for that. I find the people near me to be extremely friendly, but I guess YMMV. Higher costs? Not as far as I'm seeing.

In the end - for me personally, traffic wasn't a driving factor (and I was in an insane traffic area up North). In some ways "rudeness" was a factor... but I suspect we are talking about different types of rudeness. I find that sarcasm is the hardest thing that translates over. "High prices" was a major factor, but I don't see how what is happening in that regard is going to hurt you as a native. Are you worried about taxes?

Old 08-23-2010, 04:32 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,436,641 times
""Not only is this an unbelievably arrogant (although typical of many transplants--"you'd be nowhere without US rescuing you from your redneck ways!! You should thank us!!" ) attitude, it is not even true. Even 30, 40 years ago we had plenty of "fine dining" places in this area, far more than BBQ. Perhaps you should do a little more research before rudely insulting everyone in a particular area that you chose to move to. Thankfully, most transplants don't have your attitude, but enough do that the stereotype prevails.""

i repeat once AGAIN::::
the woman comes from ASHVILLE!!!!! it's a tourist town where people have come in droves for more than a century at this point. and i said BEFORE that i moved to a small town here where i hear ALL THE TIME that the only thing that was here was the local BBQ place 10 years ago---this is not a joke or me being arrogant!!!! i said before that the northerners who have moved to Raliegh or Cary or Charlotte do NOT seem to have the same issues that i deal with daily....

i have not saved anyone from anything. what i am telling you here is what i have actually heard and been told to me!

a woman the other day was speaking to me in a public place, and i was so uncomfortable i was cringing because she was telling me a story and kept repeating over and over that the person in question was a "black woman", but the color of the person's skin had absolutely no bearing on ANYTHING in the story at all---but she felt the need to keep saying it. i lost count of how many times she repeated it.

i went to the supermarket and a man about 40 yrs of age, asked me to read his grocery list to him because he "doesnt read a lick".

"the only thing around here was..." the local BBQ place..."things sure have changed"

"all these Mexicans moving in...blah blah blah"

i know people who live nearby who are NOT Mexican but from other latino countries who are not only mistaken for Mexican but also looked upon with disdain! this is what THEY tell me.

these are the things that i deal with Daily. i am NOT ignorant...
i said before NC is a beautiful place, that is why we moved here, but there are things here that drive me up a wall.

read my past posts BEFORE making such comments to me. wether you like it or not, these are the facts about the area

Old 08-23-2010, 10:42 AM

17 posts, read 31,786 times
Quote:
You just sat here and proved my point. Instead of apologizing for your rude comments about how all we know how to do is pick tobacco, you start going on about how supposedly people demand to hunt on your land. I HIGHLY doubt this is true and if it was, I doubt the horrible southerners said it in that way. They were probably joking around and you with your NY ways took it that way.

I think the problem is with you and how you are stereotyping us, and then you project that disdain and we see it and in turn don't like you. But of course you are going to scream I'm wrong and its all us southerners fault.

Know who's fault it is? It's ol grandaddy telling stories of the carpetbaggers and the mistreatment of the south by the winners of the civil war!! Well neither side won that war,, as in all wars the fat cats on both sides won and the rest of us paid for it! Also,, calling me a liar really showcases your hospitable nature. Hmmmmmm. I get along just fine with too many southerners to listen to you tell me I'm rude when I point out the shortcomings of some. The north nor the south have the exclusive franchise on rudeness but you called me a liar without even knowing me,, I guess you're a franchise holder.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Sorry for the extremely late response, I have been really, really, really busy

I don't want to argue with you,I just want to address a few things. I honestly haven't noticed a difference in gas at all. As far as sales tax, it does sort-of-kind of benefit you, it goes to the schools, and if the 13 cents I pay on my grocery bill is going to help NC schools for my kids and their kids, then I'm happy to pay it. I have been in NC a short time, but I don't see myself leaving, ever. As far as the pay, it was a 50 cent an hour pay increase from NJ, where he actually took a pay DECREASE every year, and when he gave his two weeks notice they said, "Smart Move, I'm going to do the same thing soon.", and when housing/property taxes are SO much less in NC (there really isn't a debate over that) it is a big deal. A lot of our reason for moving is so I won't have unimaginable student loans, instate tuition for NJ is wayyyyy more than in-state tuition for NC. There are ungrateful companies everywhere, and the fact that you found one in NC and not in VA is just chance.

And to address all NJers as being liberal is completely false. I (as well as my entire family) am extremely conservative. Do I think Chris Christie's plans for NJ will help, a lot, YES, I am a HUGE Christie supporter. But I think that NJ is in a GIANT whole, and it will take work from New Jerseyans to get out of and if they *cough* (teachers) *cough* will act like a bunch of pre-teens and defy every word that comes out of his mouth, then it will take a long while before NJ gets close to being fixed.

Good response!

I don't agree with some of it but I do think you thought about it. More than can be said for some.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
said,

You people aren't even worth talking to.

Honey,, your malevolent attitude towards northerners cannot be reckoned with. I truly wish you wouldn't talk to us if you can't even be bothered to think first! ( Not directed to southerners in general,, just the ones who mindlessly and foolishly fail to take each person as they come regardless of from where they come.)

Old 08-23-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
??????? If you count them all up they are close????? Not even in the same ballpark, neither are house prices? And how is the mentality the same exactly?

Wow,, I sure stirred up some controversy!

The autocratic mentality of the NC government matches NJ very closely. If you doubt it just look at the use of technology. The Govt makes full use of it to keep the population in line while things like social services have some blue haired old gal with a stub pencil taking care of business. Just like NJ! Between the use of cellular technology and On-Star, we all have lojacks tied to our necks but when a legitimate petition for Social Security benefits (paid for by the population) or SSI is made the Govt moves like a glacier! Once again,, just like NJ!

Old 08-23-2010, 11:12 AM

[quote=LynchburgLover;15566299]
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post

Check statistics -- for the most part, pro-union states are northern; right-to-work states are in the south. Did you hear recently about Boeing? There was a plant near Charleston that was union and about to be closed. They voted to de-unionize (sorry if I'm being ignorant; I'm not sure that is a proper term). Boeing just closed a major part of their operation in Washington State and is moving several hundred jobs to SC (a right-to-work state). Did you see the sequel to Norma Rae? Of course not. That's where all the wages and benefits went sky-high and the jobs were shipped over seas.

Generally speaking, all of the above is true. Of course, not ALL of any group does anything. I'll give you that there are plenty of dippy southerners yakking on cells.

But it always makes me wonder if high tax Democrat controlled states with all that union control are such a shang-ri-la, why are so many "Garden Staters" fleeing in droves? And who stated the rumor that NC/SC/VA/ETC, are the promised land?

But I'll stick by my belief that those who relocate and adapt to local customs are welcomed.
Only one point...
Right to work is a term used by politicians to disguise the right of employers to fire anyone for any reason and without notice.

I'd love to have our politicians languish under those same rules!

Old 08-23-2010, 12:07 PM

168 posts, read 492,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
You've got this very much backwards. Property tax, not sales tax, funds the schools. So the admitted lower property tax in NC means less money for schools than in NJ. Higher sales tax just goes to fund state govt (which, despite such a huge influx in population, is still very much in deficit and laying off people and programs)

Not only is this an unbelievably arrogant (although typical of many transplants--"you'd be nowhere without US rescuing you from your redneck ways!! You should thank us!!" ) attitude, it is not even true. Even 30, 40 years ago we had plenty of "fine dining" places in this area, far more than BBQ. Perhaps you should do a little more research before rudely insulting everyone in a particular area that you chose to move to. Thankfully, most transplants don't have your attitude, but enough do that the stereotype prevails.

I have been told by people here that sales tax also goes to the schools, just what I have heard. Also, tickets go to the schools, which is a lot better than NJ, where the ticket money goes to the Police Officer's Christmas parties
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina