Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 06:34 PM

46 posts, read 83,538 times

Advertisements

I had broken down on rt 95 out side of rocky mount while towing my rv.The tow truck driver who came to get us could not have been more help full.He towed us to a fire stone dealer who stayed open past hours so they could look at my truck.(LIKE SOMEBODY UP NORTH IS GOING TO DO THAT FOR YOU).Then the tow driver waited for us then took my rv and us to a nice hotel no extra charge.BY the way the tow bill was AAA gave him 85 dollers,and because they would not pay for the tow on the rv he charged me 35 dollers for it.The fire stone dealer put me ahead of the line the next day so i could get back home.(SURE SOME ONE UP HERE WOULD DO THAT FOR YOU LOL).So you cant tell me about southern hospitly.I think its great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 06:16 AM

17 posts, read 31,798 times
I moved from NJ to NC and was surprised to find that there's an amazing emulation of NJ here in NC. I never thought any State would want to be like NJ but NC sure mirrors the NJ mentality as close as possible. The taxes are lower but I'm sure when you count them all up, they are close,,,if not now,, just wait. Largely economically depressed compared with NJ too.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:14 PM

168 posts, read 492,463 times
??????? If you count them all up they are close????? Not even in the same ballpark, neither are house prices? And how is the mentality the same exactly?

Old 08-01-2010, 04:54 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,441,703 times
well the homes cost less, the auto insurance is less, but you pay an auto tax each year and the food is quite expensive--especially produce compared to NJ.
people in stores are nice to you because they have to be. southern hospitality does not exist--they are just doing what they were taught to do--which is be kind to your face--when in reality they cant stand you.
p.s. we moved from NJ 3 years ago....

Old 08-01-2010, 09:53 AM

451 posts, read 1,559,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
well the homes cost less, the auto insurance is less, but you pay an auto tax each year and the food is quite expensive--especially produce compared to NJ.
people in stores are nice to you because they have to be. southern hospitality does not exist--they are just doing what they were taught to do--which is be kind to your face--when in reality they cant stand you.
p.s. we moved from NJ 3 years ago....
How can you state such a ridiculous statement that people are nice to your face, but dislike you in reality. Maybe your negative attitude is the real problem. I have worked most of my adult life waiting on people, and have enjoyed meeting people from across the country as well as other countries. On a very few situations, I have met difficult people, and trust me, they know how I feel about their attitude very quickly. Not behind their back.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbirds View Post
How can you state such a ridiculous statement that people are nice to your face, but dislike you in reality. Maybe your negative attitude is the real problem. I have worked most of my adult life waiting on people, and have enjoyed meeting people from across the country as well as other countries. On a very few situations, I have met difficult people, and trust me, they know how I feel about their attitude very quickly. Not behind their back.
on the contrary. i am told almost daily how nice of a person i am and how people can't believe that i am from NJ---since all yankees are supposedly rude . what i get back is what i stated. that people--especially women down here were taught to be kind, but in reality you can tell quickly that some of them are just doing it out of habit and wouldn't tell you to your face what they really think.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:58 PM

168 posts, read 492,463 times
Auto Tax is only about $200 per year, correct???

And groceries are the same as NJ, my first visit to NC I went to Food Lion and The Fresh Market after hearing about high grocery prices and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. What part of NJ and what part of NC???

Old 08-01-2010, 05:59 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,730,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
what i get back is what i stated. that people--especially women down here were taught to be kind, but in reality you can tell quickly that some of them are just doing it out of habit and wouldn't tell you to your face what they really think.
So are you saying you would just prefer them to be rude in the first place? The whole POINT of manners (not just in the South) is to treat people kindly whether you actually like them or not. I can't imagine preferring to live in an environment where people who didn't like you blatantly demonstrated it to your face.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
So are you saying you would just prefer them to be rude in the first place? The whole POINT of manners (not just in the South) is to treat people kindly whether you actually like them or not. I can't imagine preferring to live in an environment where people who didn't like you blatantly demonstrated it to your face.
i am not saying they need to be blatantly rude. i am saying it's not what i am used to. i am used to knowing how someone feels about me. i am used to personalities where you just know where you stand. i guess we are just more up front about it.
if i dont like someone, i am not blatantly rude to them, i just try to stay away from them and go about my business.
maybe some people think that is rude, but to me it's better to just stay away from someone than to pretend like we are best freinds and then throw daggers.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:14 PM

i think we are deviating from the topic here. the OP wants to know if anyone from NJ has moved to NC and then moved back. it's not unheard of. home will always be home, and people move for different reasons, but maybe given the chance they would like to move back home.
it is absolutely different down here for many reasons. some people assimilate quickly, some people like the new change, and some people see only the bad and none of the good.
i try to see the good in my life down here and though i do miss "home" and family, i try to remember why we left it in the first place.
i will say though, that people from NY/NJ do much better in places like Cary, Wake Forest and Apex, because there is a larger concentration of northerners there.
many people who move to more rural areas dont have such an easy time of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina