Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 06:55 AM

240 posts, read 557,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesuerte View Post
Another person trying to move to NC -shakes head-
Like you iabhornc, I am also looking into Denver after I graduate college next year! My boyfriend and I are so tired of NC, right now we live right outside Asheville and it is nothing special I can tell you that much. If you honestly believe NC is the place for you then by all means go ahead. The job market stinks for those of us who already live here...so you might want to land one first. Besides, even though NC is known for being affordable, there is still much saving to be done when considering a move from LA.
My advice? Come and see this place for yourself...don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You'll either love it or hate it.

I couldn't imagine why anybody would want to live in Asheville and the SF wannabe it really is. I don't know if you were talking entirely to me, but I will respond the best way possible just the same. I don't know if I can agree with NC being affordable (unless you compare it to places like: California, DC, Mass., and especially NYC.) Another thing I am puzzled is to why someone would come to NC and take a s***ty paying job where people's work ethic is really appalling and the jobs pay s***. I have lived here in NC most of my life actually. If one wants my own opinion, I respond with: ''don't ever come down here.'' For that very reason, I have started to look online. Thanks to the internet, it's become easier However, it's still not *that* easy People here in NC have absolutely no manners whatsoever. They constantly talk about ''common courtesy'' but don't observe it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 12:07 PM

15 posts, read 25,380 times
I couldn't agree with you more...which part of nc are you originally from? I lived in Durham which is one of the larger cities in NC for 18 years of my life.I moved to Asheville about a year ago, and you hit the nail on the head with the comment on work ethic here...it's abysmal. The pay is awful, and the people I work with are just so uneducated and stick to what they know. But despite the awful pay, real estate prices keep on soaring! I guess I don't get why people are moving to NC as if it is the promised land...I wish people would do more research before moving down here and then becoming dissatisfied with their less-than-perfect lives.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
I couldn't agree with you more...which part of nc are you originally from? I lived in Durham which is one of the larger cities in NC for 18 years of my life.I moved to Asheville about a year ago, and you hit the nail on the head with the comment on work ethic here...it's abysmal. The pay is awful, and the people I work with are just so uneducated and stick to what they know. But despite the awful pay, real estate prices keep on soaring! I guess I don't get why people are moving to NC as if it is the promised land...I wish people would do more research before moving down here and then becoming dissatisfied with their less-than-perfect lives.

I am not originally from NC (if you meant me.) Another thing that gets to me (and work ethic plays a major role here too) is the people in 99.9% of all businesses I walk into. Just to say they know nothing is an understatement. Instead of them being honest with you, they have to play dumb, and I find it very offensive. Whenever you call a business to find out their hours of operation, they react weirdly as if nobody has ever asked them that. It just makes me not want to do businesses with them, and I am going to start exposing them on here:

1. University Ford - Durham and especially Chapel Hill
2. County Ford - Graham, NC
3. Domino's Pizza - Chapel Hill, NC
4. Every single Toyota dealership in the state (especially Mark Jacobson in Durham, Rice in Greensboring, and especially Town and Country in Charlotte)

5. Pro logic (or whatever it's called.) A tire place in Chapel Hill located on Fordham Blvd.

6. Every single Burger King in Durham (especially Roxboro Rd. and most definitely Guess Rd.)

7. Papa John's - NATIONWIDE (never work for these deadbeats either)
8. Dollar General - Chapel Hill and NATIONWIDE (never work for these deadbeats either)

and more to come. If you should know of more to avoid, please let me know.

99.9% of the employees in those places should be thrown out on their butts. If they keep that up, they will lose customers to the point they will be out of business.

You are right. The people here know nothing and then have to lie. People can see right through it. If I am going to go into a business and give you my money, I expect a little common courtesy. They are supposed to inform me, and not me inform them. They have even said ''uuhhhh!'' when I asked them a question. All that for a measly brochure (i.e. ''are you gonna buy a car soon.'' ) All of Durham and Chapel Hell is crazy about all those businesses. Makes me want to run away. The people in all those places are also very rude.

Good point on the very last thing you said. A lot of people are actually transferred down here b/c of their work, end up staying, and then things change for the worst. Also, many from up North are crazy about this state b/c of housing and the !@#$ty colleges in existence down here. I can imagine that it's not that easy to say ''no'' in work situations to wherever your job takes you, but I guess it's worth a shot - I have yet to be in that situation. In addition to jobs here paying nothing, everything is: pretty pricey, you have all these ridiculous taxes on everything, and the people are just simple-minded, mental, and rude. It's like they were all on drugs or something. Every time I leave NC and start doing business elsewhere and/or spending considerable time there, the less I want to be in this cesspool called NC. A lot of people move down here for family reasons. It all makes plenty of sense b/c for jobs NC does not have what I would consider to be a good job market. I have even turned down jobs just so that I would not have to go into certain cities (i.e. Raleigh and especially Durham/Chapel Hill.)

Old 07-27-2010, 03:34 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,419,666 times
Quote:
Gotta ask...Why Charlotte....Atlanta,/Dallas/Denver/....those are areas that are on the upswing I say this with good intentions..first of all...It really amazes me that people are still looking to relocate to NC...As a native of CLT. NC just dont see the hoopla about NC...Me personally....relocating out west...Better opportunities/More of a cultural arts scene...Bottom line is this NC can be very conservative, very staunch and not that progressive....plus...NC will tax the hell out ya..... If you are into the family thing and driving your kid(s) to soccer/basketball practice..this is the state for you. Lame nightlife, lame cultural and arts scene...I encourage to come and spend at least 3-4 days here....and make your determination...Good Luck to ya.
Amen to this. I'm not a native but I lived here a year and I'm dying of boredom. Seriously if you like to have a life, consider another place to live. The one positive is that people are very nice here, at least from what I've experienced. Some people are a little full of crap here though. In short, a good place for settling down and having a quiet life, not a good place for ambition and discovering who you are.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:02 PM

15 posts, read 25,380 times
Trust me, you're not the only one dying of boredom...lol. Some people are nice here, most are fake (based on my own personal experiences, that is). I agree with abhornc, this state taxes the hell out of everything...i'm counting down the days till graduation so I can finally leave =)

Old 07-29-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Trust me, you're not the only one dying of boredom...lol. Some people are nice here, most are fake (based on my own personal experiences, that is). I agree with abhornc, this state taxes the hell out of everything...i'm counting down the days till graduation so I can finally leave =)

Excellent way of putting it (i.e. *some* are actually nice here [but that is only the minority] .) Most are fake? More like all of them are (at least from my personal experience.) I get sick to death of seeing these people try to copy what you see on TV and magazines. It's not real. Even though one could easily laugh at that, the sight of such actions is so unappealing it hurts

You are lucky! At least you get to leave upon graduation. I am stuck in this !@#$hole state for an indefinite period of time . I have been doing research on other places but with the economy and as bad as it is as I write this, it's just not possible at the moment. It's either this or live on the street(s.) Of course that would be my one and only chance to FINALLY leave, but I feel that I am cut out much better than running away. People in this state can take their taxes and shove them up their precious, little, rectums Sales tax here is about as high as it is in California. California may be expensive and dull in its own way but it beats this lifeless cesspool in so many different ways (and I don't mean San Fran/Diego - couldn't imagine why anybody would want either one of those places.) At least in CA you can get liquor at COSTCO. It's good to know others feel the same.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:09 PM

It's a few months old, but I guess I will add more lousy businesses to the list...

9.Granddaddy's Antiques - Burlington, NC
10.Marquee Cinemas (Wakefield 12) - Raleigh, NC
11.Nice Price Books - Carrboro/Durham/Raleigh, NC
12.Pizza Hut - Chapel Hill, NC
13.Greensboro Coliseum - Greensboro, NC
14.Carmike Cinemas chain theaters (i.e. Wynnsong, Blue Ridge, etc.) - NATIONWIDE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina