Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 08:39 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times

Advertisements

I'm basing my comparison on Raleigh NC to Greenville Sc. Raleigh isn't a southern city anymore. Its overflowing with northerners and the atmosphere has changed dramatically. You use to drive around and have people wave you in and wave at you a "hi" in the streets. That doesn't happen anymore. Door holding and other general politeness decreases daily too.

Now I'm not blaming all of this on northerners/transplants but the area has become more competitive to live and more expensive in general because of everyone wanting to move to it and that makes people more stressed and drops the politeness quicker.

When I moved in Greenville, I felt like I was back in Raleigh 10-15 years ago. Everyone is much more polite and considerate. Very much a southern city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 03:43 PM

272 posts, read 380,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
NC has a majority of southerners.

Charlotte and Raleigh, our biggest two cities, now how more northerners than southerners.

Southerners here do have southern accents. But you will hear all kinds of accents if you are in the cities.
I disagree. I am from Raleigh, born and raised. I also go to visit family in Charlotte frequently. I DISAGREE with you. There are NOT more Northerners than Southerners in Raleigh nor Charlotte. Do you have anything to back up this claim?

Old 08-09-2014, 10:46 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahlee boy View Post
I disagree. I am from Raleigh, born and raised. I also go to visit family in Charlotte frequently. I DISAGREE with you. There are NOT more Northerners than Southerners in Raleigh nor Charlotte. Do you have anything to back up this claim?

American Migration [Interactive Map] - Forbes

Old 08-10-2014, 10:13 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,494,397 times
Guess it depends on what part you're in...surely CLT and RDU have more northerners than places like Raeford or Tabor City. Here in Fayetteville it is pretty much a melting pot thanks to Ft. Bragg. I hear mostly deep southern accents though. Different from the Arkansas accent, but still noticeably southern.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:08 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayteeboo View Post
There is a very, very heavy Hispanic population, where does that fall? Seriously I'm not trying to be sarcastic it's just a fact. Many are not registered so the census data percentage is much lower than the true number. As far as others I know very few Southerners here, most everyone I know in NC is from the North, the West, or from other countries especially India.
I realize this is old, but it's also bunk.

Census data attempts to count everyone, "legal" or not, so it doesn't matter if immigrants are "registered".
There are certainly more Hispanics in NC than in years past (like everywhere), but it's not "very, very heavy" except in specific areas.

If "most everyone you know in NC is from the North" then you don't get out much and probably hang around your own kind. MOST of the counties of NC are by far native/Southern-majority. As stated, there are most transplants in the larger cities (though some are transplants from the South, too) and there are some neighborhoods and localities (Cary, e.g.) where there might be a majority of Northerners, but every city, whether Raleigh, Durham, Charlotte, Fayetteville, etc. still has plenty of its old-line families that have been there for generations.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:49 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Back to the question of how many North Carolina residents are native to the state, it appears to be 58% according to a study by the Carolina Population Center. It shows which counties have the highest percentage of transplants (the Outer banks, military areas, and the Charlotte/Triangle areas, by and large) down to the lowest (more rural counties without much industry giving anybody a reason to move in).

Old 08-30-2015, 03:51 PM

21 posts, read 24,108 times
If so many northerners would stop moving to nc we might be able to keep our "southern feel" Lol..I hope we don't meet the same fate as florida by being overrun by so many Yankees that we no longer are looked at as a southern state!! Being southern is not geography its culture for instance many places in southern indiana. Ohio. And Illinois has a very southern culture and southern accents even though they are not in the geographical south...southern florida as well as most of central florida has almost totally lost its southern culture due to a century of northern migration.

Old 08-30-2015, 04:14 PM

4,588 posts, read 6,417,422 times
I gladly welcome all the transplants, especially from the North, Pacific, internationally, and Mid Atlantic. Welcome!

Old 08-30-2015, 07:20 PM

21 posts, read 24,108 times
Id be willing to bet you are a transplant from elsewhere yourself??..southern culture just like alot of other cultures around the world is very unique and different from anywhere else..but the culture of the southern united states is being overrun by people from elsewhere to the point of losing its identity....when you are a melting pot like florida or california you have no local culture and nothing that makes where you live special..every thing from food to youre way of life becomes generic with nothing youre area is known for...I don't want to see that happen to the tar heel state just saying..I remember you Carolina grand old lady of the south I remember you as home...eat more livermush!!!

Old 08-30-2015, 10:55 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Is this really a question? NC is a solid southern state - there is nothing "northern" about it. I think some people confused when trying to understand what southern or northern means...northern doesn't mean fast-paced, cosmopolitan, dense cities, and other positive urban qualities. Both regions have those kinds of cities.

I'm not sure how anyone could come up with anything about NC that's northern. Our liberal enclaves are southern - not northern. Our international populations are southern - not northern. I could go on and on but I won't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina