Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 11:57 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,061 times

Advertisements

According to the Office of National Drug Control Policy NC is #5 in outdoor marijuana production and #6 in total marijuana production with about $670 million worth of annual product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 06:51 AM

42 posts, read 92,780 times
I'm from NC and my favorite supper is: fried chicken with corn on the cob, sweet potatoes, butter beans, fried okra(all out of the garden) and a big ol' cathead biscuit!!!

Other well known NC dishes are: bbq with red slaw fries and hushpuppies, pintos with collards and cornbread, pretty much any southern dish.

My favorite deserts are: any kind of pie(sweet potato is my favorite), banana pudding, pound cake, and all kinds of cobblers.

As far as fruits, well springtime in NC means going to Ingram Strawberry Farm for a few gallons of fresh, sweet, juicy berries. When I think of summertime I can't help but think of a nice, juicy peach from the sandhills.

I'm gonna stop before I start drooling.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:15 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
Skimming through the thread I didn't seen anyone mention Scuppernong or Muscadines. The state fruit and the base for most Carolina wine makers like Duplin and Hinnant.

Scuppernong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Muscadine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Duplin Winery - the world's premier Muscadine winery located in Rose Hill, North Carolina - Duplin Winery
The Finest Muscaine and Fruit Wine from North Carolina's Hinnant Family Vineyards - A North Carolina Tradition

Old 12-10-2011, 03:42 PM

42 posts, read 92,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
Skimming through the thread I didn't seen anyone mention Scuppernong or Muscadines. The state fruit and the base for most Carolina wine makers like Duplin and Hinnant.
GOOD GRACIOUS ALIVE!!! I eat so many muscadines during the summer that if you cut me I'd bleed grape juice!!! LOVE 'EM!!!

Old 12-10-2011, 06:50 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
we lived in Charlotte and I was 6 years old. An elderly neighbor man had muscadines and I would go snatch one every now and then. My mama tried to get me to stop and i was normally an obedient child but i just wouldn't stop. I loved them so much.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:00 AM

14 posts, read 32,216 times
Why don't the nc food mkt prices reflect the homegrown aspect?

Old 04-04-2015, 08:45 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amealnet View Post
I'm not a marketing guru, but I would guess that "locally produced" or "freshly harvested" trumps transportation costs from a marketing standpoint.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:07 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
I'm not a marketing guru, but I would guess that "locally produced" or "freshly harvested" trumps transportation costs from a marketing standpoint.
I understand what the poster meant. In my previous locations local produce was always significantly cheaper than produce shipped in from a distance. Here, that is usually not the case, even at farm markets. the result is that frozen is usually a better deal, for most produce. I was initially surprised by the much smaller fresh produce departments, but quickly figured it out & went with the flow.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:51 PM

353 posts, read 604,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amealnet View Post
Most of the crops grown here are produced either by corporate farms owned by mega food processors, or by large farms that contract with food processors for their entire crop. These aren't mom and pop farms that sell their stuff at the local farmers' market, these are large, global enterprises.
The food processors sell and ship the resulting products to whoever will pay them the most for them, all around the world. For example, Smithfield is probably the biggest pork producer in NC. Their #1 customer is China. Tyson Farms, probably the biggest poultry producer in NC, has over 115,000 employees around the world.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:19 AM

69 posts, read 87,193 times
Shrimp burgers.

I guess other people call them po' boys. But in Swasnboro, they're shrimp burgers.

#1 in my heart. And REAL hush puppies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina