Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 12:13 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
I would suggest vicki that you look back at my posts. I'm really not this miserable, depressed, blaiming NC for my problems person that you apparently think I am. I am happy to offer up advice and information to people about NC.
I came on this forum like everyone else to get information and yes, opinions. I think i'iminformed has put forth both. And they have been helpful. If everything on here was all sugarcoated, I would really wonder what was going on. And there is a big difference between sharing your knowledge and expressing your opinions as opposed to being rude and nasty. There are a few of those kinds of people on this forum and the Florida forum I read. He, (i'iminformed, and I hope I am correct with the he part) hasn't been nasty or rude that I can recall in the posts I have read.

So, repeating myself which I tend to do alot, I appreciate everyones' advice and opinions on this forum. It has been extemely helpful to my husband and I in our research. My husband and I are a little older and wiser than most on here but we have learned alot. Thanks Again to everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2006, 05:33 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
If anyone was wondering where exactly I had seen people with the "candyland" state of mind..... here you go.

//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...et-out-ny.html

Old 08-16-2006, 05:56 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
If anyone was wondering where exactly I had seen people with the "candyland" state of mind..... here you go.

You know I was young 26 with 2 small kids when I moved to AZ from NY and I had the ultimate Candyland state of mind and it worked out being even better than I thought. Now that I am older and at another stage of my life I still have sort of a candyland state of mind but I'm more mature and I know utopia does not exist. I'm ready for a change and to meet new people and I think it's healthy to experience different things in life. I didn't go home the first time and I doubt I will this time.

Old 08-16-2006, 06:06 PM

164 posts, read 353,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post

Sort of sounds like when you talk about Rochester ...

Seriously, I read that post and it sounds like he's excited and optimistic about this new experience. Good for him. Whether he crashes and burns, or this decision turns out to be the best ever, will be something that only he can answer.

Your point that a flood of people moving to NC will only cause the problems everyone left behind is well taken. It's been made and I think we understand. It has given me food for thought, and I'm sure it has for others as well. But there are factors for each of us to consider on this end of the deal as well. It's such an individual decision, with each person having unique circumstances that brought him to the decision to move. That the decision is concluded with optimism, excitement, and a little giddiness doesn't mean it wasn't reached deliberately and carefully. I'm an attorney who researches everything to the nth degree. Been working on this move for a year, carefully researching things and considering my move very carefully. But once I arrive, I'm sure I'll sound just like that poster! Certainly, the honeymoon will end, but the decision will (hopefully) still be sound.

Old 08-16-2006, 06:20 PM

21 posts, read 70,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by connie View Post

Seriously, I read that post and it sounds like he's excited and optimistic about this new experience. Good for him. Whether he crashes and burns, or this decision turns out to be the best ever, will be something that only he can answer.

Your point that a flood of people moving to NC will only cause the problems everyone left behind is well taken. It's been made and I think we understand. It has given me food for thought, and I'm sure it has for others as well. But there are factors for each of us to consider on this end of the deal as well. It's such an individual decision, with each person having unique circumstances that brought him to the decision to move. That the decision is concluded with optimism, excitement, and a little giddiness doesn't mean it wasn't reached deliberately and carefully. I'm an attorney who researches everything to the nth degree. Been working on this move for a year, carefully researching things and considering my move very carefully. But once I arrive, I'm sure I'll sound just like that poster! Certainly, the honeymoon will end, but the decision will (hopefully) still be sound.
Thanks, Connie you said exactly what I wanted to but much nicer than I would have. Upstate NY is nothing like Long Island NY in any way,shape or form. The taxes on the island are outrageous. Iminformed is lucky to be able to go back .NC is probably very close to what upstate is like to live. If I can get 3 times as much house in NC for 1/2 the price and lower and pay 8x less in taxes than I'm there, and in 10 or 15 years it's just like LI as far as taxes and such, it probably would have happened anyway. So if our experience is good,bad or indifferent NC here we come.

Old 08-16-2006, 06:21 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,907,153 times
I agree with Connie, being excited comes with it all to a point. No one knows what the future will hold for anyone...I feel like we have beat this horse to death already, but everyone does what is best for their familiy -

If you are miserable where you are, then is can only be better for you or it takes a move to see you didn't have it so bad...if it takes 2 mos or 2 years, you have to be comfortable with your timing and decision - others have no choice due to the circumstances of their lives at this time.

As good as NC looks and with all the giddiness and happiness - there are always what if'sss involved. (as per the other post, as exicited as everyone is, people are nervous, which is a healthy normal reaction) - you can do so much research and research but again as it has been said, until you live, work and play, you really do not know.

No one will no sure for a few years (You have to give anything time) to see if it was worth it and if it wasn't who knows by then, if your area was unafforable then, it may not be so if you choose to come back or you may find some where else to go...we live in a very transient socieity today for many reasons and no matter where you are, or where you go, it's about the choices we all make, (some good, other bads and that too is part of life, the learning process no matter how old we are, never ends. nothing is forever and at least we live where we are free to make these decisions and discuss them.

Old 08-16-2006, 07:59 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
I'm sorry i'minformed but I find alot of your posts to be so negative that I just have this feeling that you are so unhappy. Maybe my perceptions are incorrect and I hope for your sake, they are. I only wish the best for you, where ever you live. After all...as I disclose over and over again...I'm just a simple little Real Estate Agent and NOT a psychiatrist!!! Now lets talk about how much THEY make!!! Vicki

Old 08-16-2006, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie View Post

No.... I like Rochester for me and my family.... but haven't and never would tell everyone that they should all move there because it's perfect. Do I do a bit of ROC boosting? Yeah; but there's a difference. There is optimism and excitment... and then there's; THAT. Exactly what I was saying. People being OVERLY optimistic, telling everyone that they should come and would be unwise not to. Of course a person is going to be excited if they are moving to a new area; I would be very worried if they were not; but when you are THAT enthusiastic about it; you could very well end up dissapointed. What's the point of moving somewhere to get away from a certain area; if you are going to tell everyone else to follow?

Last edited by just_sayin'; 08-16-2006 at 08:39 PM..

Old 08-16-2006, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I'm sorry i'minformed but I find alot of your posts to be so negative that I just have this feeling that you are so unhappy. Maybe my perceptions are incorrect and I hope for your sake, they are. I only wish the best for you, where ever you live. After all...as I disclose over and over again...I'm just a simple little Real Estate Agent and NOT a psychiatrist!!! Now lets talk about how much THEY make!!! Vicki
Please; go to my userpage and read more of my comments. I think your impression is only taken from a small segment

Old 08-16-2006, 11:07 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,788,762 times
I enjoyed reading this thread-it has a lot of great advise, opinions, feelings, etc. But what I REALLY enjoyed about it is the whole-lotta NY gabbin' goin' on!!!

Serious-cracked me up how you all keep saying "I know it's been said..." and you say it again anyway! Reminds me of my dad! And my mom! And myself!
Ah yes-we NYers sure have the wonderful gift of gab!!!

I wish you all the best with your moves!
Don't worry, be happy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina