Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 04:51 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Why not UNC Charlotte? It has a really good program as well and is the fastest growing school in the system.
I thought that accolade went to ECU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 07:33 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,298,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I thought that accolade went to ECU.
Overall growth definitely belongs to UNCC, perhaps poli sci department accolade belongs to ECU.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:22 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,854,040 times
Poly Sci may not be the best undergrad degree if you are applying to law schools. Philosophy may well be a better choice, for the emphasis on critical thinking and logic.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:52 AM

1,784 posts, read 2,381,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Poly Sci may not be the best undergrad degree if you are applying to law schools. Philosophy may well be a better choice, for the emphasis on critical thinking and logic.
This is good advice. I'm a practicing attorney and I think philosophy and logic will help you on the LSAT but isn't really as important when practicing law. If I could go back to undergrad I would major in science or engineering. You may decide later that you don't want to go to law school but you'll have a very marketable undergrad degree if you choose science or engineering. But if you do want to go to law school a science/engineering background would be helpful, especially when applying to law schools because those are difficult majors.

To answer the original question, I would choose UNC-Chapel Hill because it's the flagship school in the UNC system. Also, I would choose it for a B.A. in political science because they have their own separate school of government, which also works with attorneys on issues such as local government law and education law. Good luck.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:41 AM

1,921 posts, read 2,016,660 times
I have heard that Chapel Hill's law school admits relatively few Tarheel grads, so if that's where you want to go to law school, then you may want to go somewhere else for undergrad.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:54 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,812,025 times
Quote:
Overall growth definitely belongs to UNCC, perhaps poli sci department accolade belongs to ECU.
Fastest growth may or may not have anything to do with how good the program is. Quantity =/= quality. Actually, larger programs probably have more auditorium-sized classrooms, TAs, etc with less individual attention.

Quote:
I've heard that any field involving lots of reading, digesting, and writing (English, History, etc) can be good prep for pre-law but more and more having a specialization in some area (such as science, as mentioned above) along with a JD will make one decidedly more valuable to firms that work in that sort of industry.

Perhaps the OP is looking towards law as a stepping stone to Politics

Old 08-09-2010, 02:23 AM

491 posts, read 1,261,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
This is good advice. I'm a practicing attorney and I think philosophy and logic will help you on the LSAT but isn't really as important when practicing law. If I could go back to undergrad I would major in science or engineering. You may decide later that you don't want to go to law school but you'll have a very marketable undergrad degree if you choose science or engineering. But if you do want to go to law school a science/engineering background would be helpful, especially when applying to law schools because those are difficult majors.

To answer the original question, I would choose UNC-Chapel Hill because it's the flagship school in the UNC system. Also, I would choose it for a B.A. in political science because they have their own separate school of government, which also works with attorneys on issues such as local government law and education law. Good luck.
I used to be a practicing attorney and I think English is hands down the best major for law school. Business is the second best, because so many cases will involve business issues and it's a good degree to have for running your own office.

But, if you can't effectively communicate in writing, you will make a lousy lawyer.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:30 AM

232 posts, read 474,785 times
I'm a criminal justice major with a minor in political science at ECU. Classes have been excellent so far. Actually had two professors in my first class. One democrat and one republican. created a nice balance.

Department of Political Science, East Carolina University

Old 12-25-2010, 05:20 PM

168 posts, read 494,256 times
UNC-CH or ECU definitely. Would rule out Pembroke completely, the weakest link in the UNC system in my opinion.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:55 AM

467 posts, read 712,785 times
Not that this is needed but it would be a good idea to first rank the colleges in NC from top to bottom so you know where you're at in terms of requirements for each school.
Duke and UNC would be at the top, then Wake Forest, then Elon, then NC State, then UNC Charlotte, Greensboro, Asheville, ECU, and then the rest. You're probably looking for public seeing as that is what you listed in your first post. Go to UNC Chapel Hill if possible. Best bet..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina