Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 02:29 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,663,447 times

Advertisements

Hold up. Didn't Jesse Helms hate black people? A lot of the sentiment I get about Jesse Helms from folks is "Good Riddance!" Most people I now despise the man.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:37 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,333,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Hold up. Didn't Jesse Helms hate black people? A lot of the sentiment I get about Jesse Helms from folks is "Good Riddance!" Most people I now despise the man.
No, he was not racist - he just stood against affirmative action. He believed the best of all candidates for any job should get the job regardless of skin color. He was a big supporter of people like Colin Powell and Condaleeza Rice for instance.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:59 PM
vq1

134 posts, read 680,922 times
Senator Helms came from a humble background. His campaign manager for some of his campaigns was a black man. He supported (financially) the Baker Hospital in Durham for research against Cerebal Palsy and he and his wife have adopted children with disabilities. Mr. Helms has done much more good than I will ever be able to accomplish. Mary Tyler Moore and Bono, amongst many others, regard him as a friend. They realize that while Mr. Helms may hate the sin, he does not hate the person.

Most people do not know the real man, Jesse Helms and many have incorrectly attributed false sayings to him. In my opinion, we were fortunate to have had such a man to represent us as a NC Senator from 1972 until his retirement. Many credit him as having been the force that brought Ronald Reagan to the White House.

May I suggest that you watch when UNC-TV re-runs their biography on the Senator. I believe I saw that it is scheduled to air again either late January or early February, 2008.

If you are familiar with the late Mr. Hugh Morton, of Grandfather Mountain, you might want to know of his story of how he was trying to raise money to save the lighthouse at Cape Hatteras. When he apporached the Senator about this, Mr. Helms went to his political group, the Congressional Club. Their members provided all of the money to save the ligthhouse by moving it. Private individuals anteed up the money rather than having your tax money being spent by a government agency to do it. This was in keeping with the philosophy of Mr. Helms.

Here is a link to UNC-TV's promotional material for the show: http://www.unctv.org/biocon/jhelms/timeline.html

As this thread had to do with "Is NC Liberal", may I end with this first person observation of such?

I attended the University of North Carolina in the 1970's. UNC and Chapel Hill were and still are widely regarded as being of a liberal philosophy, i.e.: Open to opposing ideas.

My car had a "Jesse" bumper sticker on it and I was in my parked car on a street adjacent to the campus, reading while waiting for my next class. A group of students were walking from campus, saw my sticker, started screaming something as to "hating" Jesse Helms and jumped onto my bumper and sticker. When I got out of my car, they ran off.

In my opinion, a lot of the people claiming to be liberal are actually intolerant leftist that hate. Specifically as to these people and the Senator, they operated a "Death Watch" on the web back in the late 1990's and early 2000 hoping and waiting for the Senator to die. Maybe these are the type of people that you have come to "know."

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post

Old 12-20-2007, 04:47 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,103,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
No, he was not racist - he just stood against affirmative action. He believed the best of all candidates for any job should get the job regardless of skin color. He was a big supporter of people like Colin Powell and Condaleeza Rice for instance.
True, and I agree that the liberal media, especially the radicals within, slandered this man for decades. He did overcome and his record stands for all to see...if they take the time.

I have black neighbors who admired Jesse and they have lived in NC all their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina