Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 09:09 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,450,502 times

Advertisements

I've lived in CA for 13 years (always liberal) and AZ for five (mostly conservative). Moving to AZ made me feel as though I'd moved to the bible belt. I am from a state that always votes blue, originally. May be conservative fiscally, but liberal when it come to extending a helping hand, thus liberal overall.

I hear so many good things about NC and how popular it is, but if it's a conservative state, I won't fit in.

Any input is welcome Maybe you can save me the airfare and expense based on your responses. Thank you.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:27 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
just because a state votes blue which means a state that voted mostly democrat doesnt make them a liberal

you might want to study voting patterns of the south for the last 20 plus years

Old 06-24-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
just because a state votes blue which means a state that voted mostly democrat doesnt make them a liberal

you might want to study voting patterns of the south for the last 20 plus years
Thanks, but it's easier and quicker just to ask here, and this is why these forums exist. I actually read another thread and concluded it is NOT liberal. Oh well, one can always hope. Hey, maybe all those Californians moving there jacking up your house prices will turn your state blue I know I had a hand in the soaring prices where I live, after leaving California and pricing people out of their native market here.

Thanks for your input. I'll stay on the West Coast. I know in less than five minutes I would NOT fit in there. Directed at you too, JBB

Old 06-24-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBB View Post
Glad to help.
Thanks. I just could not live in a place where northerners get called Yankees. Must be some long-standing resentment there that would no doubt muddy the waters and, after all, I was born and raised a Northerner.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:59 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Thanks, but it's easier and quicker just to ask here, and this is why these forums exist. I actually read another thread and concluded it is NOT liberal. Oh well, one can always hope. Hey, maybe all those Californians moving there jacking up your house prices will turn your state blue I know I had a hand in the soaring prices where I live, after leaving California and pricing people out of their native market here.

Thanks for your input. I'll stay on the West Coast. I know in less than five minutes I would NOT fit in there. Directed at you too, JBB
Just curious about your pride in having helped in "pricing people out of their native market"??

Old 06-24-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Just curious about your pride in having helped in "pricing people out of their native market"??
Tongue in cheek I just didn't feel warm and fuzzy in that southern hospitality way after I asked a simple question. Not all of us Yankees are bad, but we do kid around.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Tongue in cheek I just didn't feel warm and fuzzy in that southern hospitality way after I asked a simple question. Not all of us Yankees are bad, but we do kid around.
Glad it was a joke - otherwise you'd give folks another reason to dislike a yankee

Old 06-24-2007, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Glad it was a joke - otherwise you'd give folks another reason to dislike a yankee
Hmm, it doesn't seem like you need too many more. The only other state I've run across with such a disdain for outsiders is Oregon, but I think that is changing (and it helps if one is not a Californian).

I guess it's hard being overrun by outsiders, but I still don't get this Yankee resentment thing. Does this go back a long way? Sore because you lost the civil war?

Old 06-24-2007, 10:11 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
I welcome newcomers and taking advantage of this posistive migration to this state. I moved to a location that was once the state fastest growing cities so that the home Im living in would appreciate greatly in value and will cash out on it soon.

I enjoy reading about individuals and families making life difficult decisions in relocating to this state to start over and hearing stories about how great their quality of life is now. I love hearing how they enjoy our terrain of this state when I often have taken it for granted. I remember when someone once mention the rolling hills and I thought oh the area before mountains and they was referring to the piedmont. As a kid I hated it lol it was a hill I had to climb or get off my bicycle due to the slope was to steep for the limited gears I had on that bike yeah that is it lol really it was my calfs in my legs saying no more.

This year I finally made it to the outer banks out of all my life not visiting there then I realize what everyone has been seeing in this state about how it such american treasure.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Hmm, it doesn't seem like you need too many more. The only other state I've run across with such a disdain for outsiders is Oregon, but I think that is changing (and it helps if one is not a Californian).

I guess it's hard being overrun by outsiders, but I still don't get this Yankee resentment thing. Does this go back a long way? Sore because you lost the civil war?
Nah, most people here don't mind folks from other places coming here - when they come with a good attitude. A "yankee", or in some severe cases, a damn yankee, is a person who shows up here expecting the whole city to cater to their wants and desires, disrespects the locals by making fun of the way they talk or how they worship, and proclaims ad nausium how the way they did things back in wherever they came from was SOOOOO much better. Yep, we don't much cotton to those kinds of folks - those kinds of folks are yankees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina