Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 07:54 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,071,426 times

Advertisements

Just traveled down the coast of Maine from Bar Harbour to Wells recently.....mind you, I have also driven down the entire east coast and part of the west coast...with all due respect to actual residents of Maine, as a tourist, it is, by far, the most stunning scenery of all the coasts I've traveled ....

And Acadia? That park always leaves me speechless.....

IMHO, the south east coast is nice for vacationing on....the coast of Maine encapsulate what comes to mind when I visualize crashing waves smashing against jagged rocks that line the coast, leaving behind a frothing water that trickles back into the sea as the lighthouse beacon winks her warning to the passing fishing troller.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 11:50 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,804,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejneilson View Post
Hi all,

So for reasons that are too complicated to get into right now, my girlfriend and I plan to move from Portland, ME to NC in October. We'll be bunking it with her family in Winston-Salem, and most likely moving to the carrboro/chapel hill area.

My question is this. I've lived in New England my entire life; what are the major differences - both positive and negative - that I should expect out of living in the south?
1. Accent
2. Diet
3. No Moose

Old 08-23-2010, 11:53 PM

21 posts, read 61,751 times
Hello, I've never been to ME but have met or known a few people from there who also lived a part of their lives here in NC. So some 2nd hand thinking here: 1. ME has a long heritage that did not get crippled during the Civil War (I know, I know, there was the great fire a hundred years ago that wrecked your town); whereas, some old NC families still don't think much of general Sherman or Yankees in general. 2. Just because NC might vote Democrat locally doesn't mean they are lock-step with every plank in the Nat'l platform. 3. A move from Portland to Chapel Hill might be good as both are college towns. So what I'm saying is that GLBT, bi-racial couples, tattoos, piercings and "weird" hair styles don't seem so out of place in that context as almost everyone there is from somewhere else and people there just kind of mind their own business. Elsewhere, (in any of the small eastern towns from Florence, SC to Selma, NC) your discretion, tact, and patience is appreciated. 4. Everyone I've met from ME has always been cheerful, demonstrated a can-do willingness to roll up the sleeves and be active both in work, volunteering, and playing in the great outdoors; even when "the great outdoors isn't really as great as back home." Werdup!

Old 08-28-2010, 07:50 PM

164 posts, read 356,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMacon48 View Post
ME has a long heritage that did not get crippled during the Civil War (I know, I know, there was the great fire a hundred years ago that wrecked your town); whereas, some old NC families still don't think much of general Sherman or Yankees in general.
And those people that are still fighting their lost war are flipping insane Time to let it go, people. Time to let it go
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina