Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 10:11 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,990,987 times

Advertisements

So Catawba County is not really part of the Charlotte area, correct? Is the county huge as far as picking towns to live in? Where would one shop if they lived in the area as far as malls and grocery stores (another words, which towns in the county have the shopping and is the county that expansive that it would be far to travel from other towns)? What would be the best town for a family, possibly on a acre of land or more (under $400K)? Yes, there is a job involved, but I only know the county at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 09:06 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,937,950 times
Catawba County is located to the northwest of Charlotte by approximately 20-30 miles. The major town in this county is Hickory. Most of the remainder of the county is a nice rural area.

Here's a link to the Wikipedia page for the county. Maybe that will help.

Catawba County, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-14-2010, 11:08 AM

Finally someone answered! No one lives in Catawba County around here???

Thanks for the link; I appreciate it!

Old 08-14-2010, 12:39 PM

163 posts, read 357,156 times
tamitrail

I live in the next county near Catawaba. Yes Hickory would be the most urban here. There are two hospitals that I know of in Hickory and both are good. Bear in mind, however, that the doctors, nurses, all the rest of the medical team need to live near the hospital. Hickory also has a wonderful farmers market and a nice downtown area. There are quite a few malls , stores and all. Go on REALTOR.COM to find prices of homes.

Bethlehem is also very nice area. While it is somewhat rural is has a "classiness" about it and can be a little expensive. I don't think there is much crime in this area.

As far as shopping goes, what you cannot find in Hickory, you should be able to find in Charolotte, which is about 30 min away. Statesville is another 30-40 min away.

However, there is a lot of rural and you will have to drive to either of the above mentioned. The property may also be cheaper. Outside the areas I mentioned, don't expect much.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:47 PM

Thanks for the info, lady!

Old 08-14-2010, 12:59 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,308,540 times
As you go east on Hwy 70 or I-40 you get to Conover, then Claremont. Newton is a small town south of Conover. If you stay close to I-40 (or a road that will get you to I-40 quickly) you can easily get to the shopping areas.

$400,000 will buy a lot in Catawba County. You won't have any problem finding what you are looking for.

What else do you want to know?

Old 08-14-2010, 01:04 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,308,540 times
Bethlehem is actually in Alexander County. It can take a while to get to parts of Catawba County because of the river between.

Charlotte is about an hour from Hickory.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:32 PM

163 posts, read 357,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Bethlehem is actually in Alexander County. It can take a while to get to parts of Catawba County because of the river between.

Charlotte is about an hour from Hickory.

Pardon me you are right!

Old 08-15-2010, 08:11 AM

Just wanted to know what the best towns would be for a family and what are the closests towns that have shopping. Right now I have to travel just about 30 minutes to shop and I'm wondering if it will be the same there or if I can maintain my quality of life but have shopping closer.

Edit: Ok, sorry, you already answered that about rte 40. Thanks!

Old 08-16-2010, 10:17 AM

72 posts, read 188,610 times
Catawba County is kind of on the edge for being considered part of the Charlotte region. It is typically not included in the Charlotte metro, but it is considered in the Combined Statistical Area (CSA) for Charlotte because a lot of people do commute between the 2 areas (myself included)

I moved from Mecklenburg County to Catawba and love it. I would consider myself part of the Charlotte area (actually closer to Charlotte than Hickory but that is only true for a small part of Catawba County).

Catawba County is large and there is definitely both rural and urban areas. Granted, I live on the very edge of Catawba County. Technically, I am in Sherrills Ford but right on the Catawba/ Lincoln County line

Catawba County taxes are great (I pay about the same for a $300K house as I did for a $125K townhouse in Mecklneburg).

Besides having access to Lake Norman, you have access to a lot of amenities in Mooresville, which is only about 10/15 mins away. And there are increasingly more restaurants and amenities along Hwy 16, which runs along the western "quieter" side of Lake Norman.

I am about 40 mins from Charlotte with the new Hwy 16 Bypass and about 45 mins to Hickory for access to larger cities.

Don't have kids but have heard good things about the Catawba County school system.

There are also a lot of smaller towns (Newton, Claremont, Conover) in addition to the city of Hickory (~50K). I think it is a good mix.

You could probably get a very nice house with over an acre of land for your price range anywhere in Catawba County with the exception of maybe Lake Norman (Sherills Ford) or in Hickory.

Hopes this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina