Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 02:12 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times

Advertisements

no...the one i have heard is that if you go to college here and you major in education and then work for a public school as a teacher for 3 or more years, they will reimburse or pay for your colege education---not a bad deal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 02:23 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
no...the one i have heard is that if you go to college here and you major in education and then work for a public school as a teacher for 3 or more years, they will reimburse or pay for your colege education---not a bad deal!
Its called teaching fellows. A program that you have to apply for, go through interviews for, and then participate in actives/volunteer all through out college. THEN after 4 years of teaching they will pay your loans off. Only x number of students get it and each HS has a cap on the number of students that can receive it to spread it around so to say. Its an exremtly hard program to get into.

Otherwise, you are out of luck if you are a teacher. Although, a new federal thing went through where if you work for the gov for 10 years or something, all your left over loans are forgiven.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:58 PM

168 posts, read 494,510 times
Not Free, but very cheap for in-state tuition for the UNC system. But you can't just move here when you go to college and say "I live here, give me cheap tuition." You have to be a resident for 1+ years before you start college.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKIE27 View Post
Not Free, but very cheap for in-state tuition for the UNC system. But you can't just move here when you go to college and say "I live here, give me cheap tuition." You have to be a resident for 1+ years before you start college.
I went to an in state public school and paid about 10k a year. Even with small scholarships I ended up with 28k on student loans. Guess it depends what your definition of cheap is.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:46 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
The bottom line on all of this is that the OP's friend was very mistaken, and nobody should move to NC solely because they think they're going to get "free college" just by being here.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:18 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
The only "free" college is either teaching fellows (with the payback in teaching in NC schools), military (with the payback being military service), or scholarship (which is being smart or lucky)

Old 08-21-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
I went to an in state public school and paid about 10k a year. Even with small scholarships I ended up with 28k on student loans. Guess it depends what your definition of cheap is.

Including Room and Board I'm assuming, since most of the UNC system has the same pricing? That isn't bad at all, for me at least coming from NJ, where is state for Rutgers with room and board you are looking at 20K a year, if you're out of state forget about it.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:38 PM

Only lived on campus one year, freshman, when most unc schools make you. My tuition and fees were just under 7k each year, then another 1500 for books (at least that was my average). Another 1-2k for various things like parking fees and if you don't have insurance from your parents. So yea, it adds up.

If you were smart, you would get all your gen eds out of the way at a 2 year CC and then transfer. Less than half the cost, but you end up with the same thing. I wish I had thought of that, or I had done a 5 year, Bachelors/Masters program.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:11 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
If you qualify for grants and go to cc, it probably pays for almost everything. I think the max on grants is $5,600/yr. Also, I suggest you gain residency first to pay in-state tuition.

You can also check with the workforce or job corps to see what available funding they have. Are you looking for an Associates or Diploma program?

Old 08-22-2010, 12:50 PM

If you get $5600 in grants, it will be over what tuition is, at least from ECU's numbers. ECU is $4700/year in state including all fees, etc. No one is going to pay for your books/ Room and board, even with a full ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina