Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2010, 02:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,535 times

Advertisements

hey everyone, I have never been to NC and I plan to visit before I move but I'd like to get any helpful information in the meantime!
I'm 23 years old and working on my master's degree so that I can teach English [grades 7 - 12] I would love to move to North Carolina once I graduate and a friend of mine who is studying to be a nurse is planning to move down there with me!

I've heard a few things about Raleigh, Charlotte and Wilmington
I'm leaning towards Raleigh [or surrounding areas]
She's leaning towards Charlotte
Wilmington kinda sounds nice to the both of us but - hurricanes! ah!

We're planning to move January 2012 but of course it's smart to research as soon as possible

When offering us advice keep in mind:
we're both in our early twenties - 23/25..although by then we'll be 25/27 haha not that that's a huge difference
I'll be pursuing a career as a middle school/high school English teacher
She will be pursuing a career as a nurse
safety is a concern!
and so is entertainment!
fun, safety, not too expensive, single men [ ]and a place to find good jobs in our related fields! pleaseeeeee! thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 02:02 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,178,045 times
2012 is a long way off. Things can change and by then maybe Mars Hill or Frogsboro will be the trendy hot spots to be?

Old 08-21-2010, 02:09 PM

4,898 posts, read 7,427,499 times
Read, read, read the forums and find the jobs first! There's tons of info on here then ask specific questions. Best wishes.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:58 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,844,848 times
Charlotte has a bit more to offer in terms of entertainment, but it's not a huge difference. I don't think you could go wrong with either one. I'd pretty much let the jobs decide.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:55 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,793,473 times
Quote:
hey everyone, I have never been to NC and I plan to visit before I move
I'm sorry, but if you have never been here, what on God's Green Earth has made you decide to move here?? That's typically a decision someone makes after visiting somewhere and liking what they see--not just throwing a dart at the map.

What specific things have put NC in your sights, that you are ready to move to a state you've never been to? What is (as far as you know secondhand) in NC that's not somewhere else you have been? I just can't quite fathom your mindset, especially as NC has a high rate of unemployment at the moment.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:43 PM

983 posts, read 3,983,315 times
Oh...worried about hurricanes....in 1989 Hurricane Hugo did tremendous damage to Charlotte after tearing through SC.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:40 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,844,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoyal10900 View Post
Oh...worried about hurricanes....in 1989 Hurricane Hugo did tremendous damage to Charlotte after tearing through SC.
That was a bit of an anomaly. In most cases, Charlotte is pretty insulated from the direct impact of hurricanes.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:55 PM

4 posts, read 9,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I'm sorry, but if you have never been here, what on God's Green Earth has made you decide to move here?? That's typically a decision someone makes after visiting somewhere and liking what they see--not just throwing a dart at the map.

What specific things have put NC in your sights, that you are ready to move to a state you've never been to? What is (as far as you know secondhand) in NC that's not somewhere else you have been? I just can't quite fathom your mindset, especially as NC has a high rate of unemployment at the moment.
I've had a lot of friends who have moved there [some on a whim] and loved it so I took that into consideration

I'm not just looking at NC, I'm looking at other states on the east just asking specifically about NC on an NC related forum

I plan to visit before I move

obviously a job is the ultimate factor

it's hard for a teacher to find a job anywhere at this point, especially where i live

I just thought I could see if anyone might have anything positive/negative/helpful/insightful things to say about specific places in NC that would interest a female in her mid twenties looking for better weather than in central NY, some culture, entertainment, good schools to possibly teach at and other singles for friendships or relationships
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina