U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2010, 03:39 AM

4 posts, read 8,228 times

Advertisements

Hey all of you ready to dish out some great advice, here's the deal
In a couple of years I'll be looking to apply in NC [middle/high school English teacher] and so will a friend of mine that I'm planning on moving with [she's studying to be a nurse]

I know the MOST IMPORTANT thing is where I land a job
while that ultimately determines where I move to...would anyone be willing to help me figure out where I'd like to be?? [let's be unrealistic for a second and say I get job offers from every place I end up applying to shall we ]

If you're kind enough to help me out with some info/opinions, here is what to keep in mind

we're single girls in our mid twenties [ so we'd like to be around people in their 20's / 30's]

we'll be looking for jobs as a teacher and a nurse

we'd like to have access to beaches, a good bar scene
[doesn't have to be crazy but if we want to go out and enjoy beers with some good people and listen to some live bands and whatnot],
and just things to do [parks, sporting events, art, cool spots for locals to hang out and eat good food, have drinks and meet other locals]!

the only thing to do where I live is to go to applebees, the movie theater, a local brewery for tours, and one street with 8 bars and only one of which I actually enjoy [chill place to drink beer, play darts, and usually has a band or singer performing]

We're not very conservative
diversity is nice

I personally would prefer to not have crazy, crazy traffic
I now live in a town where the population is 18,000+ and the "big city" that is 15 mins from me has a population of 50,0000+

I'm flexible and open to new experiences and places

I am personally interested in Raleigh and surrounding areas
my friend is more into Charlotte from what she hears about it being a big city and there being so much to do
We also have a few friends that moved to Wilmington on a whim and absolutely love it [ but hurricanes, ah! ]
That's why I mainly named those three places

anyway, any info/opinions would be so greatly greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 07:50 PM

10,525 posts, read 20,661,434 times
The #1 thing on your list of what you're looking for is beaches, yet you want Raleigh and Charlotte, not Wilmington?

Wilmington is the ONLY "city" that's right on the beach in NC. If you want the beach, that's pretty much your option. An occasional tropical storm/hurricane has hit Wilmington, but hurricanes have made direct hits on Charlotte and Raleigh, too. All are so infrequent as to be absolutely irrelevant in where to start a life, presuming you can find employment in your field. If hurricanes were a big and frequent problem, nobody would be living in Wilmington.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:48 PM

oh no it's not my #1 thing its just one of the first things i listed lol
we dont mind driving a couple hrs to the beach if we have too

Old 08-22-2010, 09:26 AM

21,093 posts, read 25,743,908 times
Refer to previous post..

//www.city-data.com/forum/15568297-post2.html

NC also expects the town of Kenly to grow by leaps and bounds in the future...

Old 08-22-2010, 11:32 AM

174 posts, read 369,201 times
First of all, let me say that all three cities are great choices.

Based on sheer size, the job market will probably be better in Raleigh or Charlotte. The job market everywhere right now for teachers is dim, but that could change by the time you move. English will be a negative (due to saturation), but middle school will help greatly (most have elementary or high school), so you should have a decent opportunity to get a job.

It's hard to compare Wilmington to either Raleigh or Charlotte, simply due to the size differences. You said you have friends there, so you can get a good feel for the city from them.

I would think most single 20 somethings, not involved in college, would prefer Charlotte over Raleigh. It's more urban, has a much more dynamic Uptown scene with music, bars, pro sports, etc., and just overall has a much bigger city feel to it. Don't get me wrong, Raleigh is a GREAT city, but I would think it would be a bit boring for a 20 something that does not have any ties to one of the local universities. If you were 35, married with kids, then it would be a different comparison.

However, Raleigh is closer to the beach (about 2hrs 15 minutes to Wilmington, compared to about 3hrs 15 minutes from Charlotte to SC beaches). Also, when comparing the two largest school districts of the two cities, I'd prefer to work in Wake (Raleigh) over CMS (Charlotte). Although, Charlotte has some great districts surrounding it.

If you like road trips, here's a comparison:

Raleigh - 2 hrs to Wilmington, 3hrs to mountains, 4 hrs to Outer Banks, DC
Charlotte - 2 hrs to mountains, 3 hrs to Myrtle beach, Charleston, 4 hrs to Hilton Head, Savanna, Wilmington, Atlanta

Good Luck! NC is great place to call home!

Old 08-22-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbyChoice View Post
First of all, let me say that all three cities are great choices.

Based on sheer size, the job market will probably be better in Raleigh or Charlotte. The job market everywhere right now for teachers is dim, but that could change by the time you move. English will be a negative (due to saturation), but middle school will help greatly (most have elementary or high school), so you should have a decent opportunity to get a job.

It's hard to compare Wilmington to either Raleigh or Charlotte, simply due to the size differences. You said you have friends there, so you can get a good feel for the city from them.

I would think most single 20 somethings, not involved in college, would prefer Charlotte over Raleigh. It's more urban, has a much more dynamic Uptown scene with music, bars, pro sports, etc., and just overall has a much bigger city feel to it. Don't get me wrong, Raleigh is a GREAT city, but I would think it would be a bit boring for a 20 something that does not have any ties to one of the local universities. If you were 35, married with kids, then it would be a different comparison.

However, Raleigh is closer to the beach (about 2hrs 15 minutes to Wilmington, compared to about 3hrs 15 minutes from Charlotte to SC beaches). Also, when comparing the two largest school districts of the two cities, I'd prefer to work in Wake (Raleigh) over CMS (Charlotte). Although, Charlotte has some great districts surrounding it.

If you like road trips, here's a comparison:

Raleigh - 2 hrs to Wilmington, 3hrs to mountains, 4 hrs to Outer Banks, DC
Charlotte - 2 hrs to mountains, 3 hrs to Myrtle beach, Charleston, 4 hrs to Hilton Head, Savanna, Wilmington, Atlanta

Good Luck! NC is great place to call home!

wow thank you that was really really really helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina