U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Considering relocation, seeking assistance on relocation process, decision making process, defining factors on deciding to relocate, cost of living, job relocation

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 02:44 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,784,380 times

Advertisements

I am still in my research phase and other life things somethings get in the way, but those who have moved or know they already are -

1- How long did it take for you to make a decision (I know I read in one post by markh - he and his wife talked about it for 2 yrs)

2-What made it for you (was it costs, job relo,) what was the one (if there was one) defining factor that helped you with the decision

thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2006, 02:50 PM

9,985 posts, read 17,956,888 times
Well we thought about it for a couple months, checked it out figured we could do great here then moved. it isnt NC isnt working out for us and we are moving again, this time my husband went to the new state and has lived and worked there for two months before hand, so we are moving on. it is never a sure bet, but we gave it a go.

Old 08-13-2006, 04:28 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,476,831 times
Well we have been disenchanted with our current state and wanted to get out for about 10 years. Dh is in a very specialized field so picking up and moving when ever we wanted was not an option. This move was all in the hands of another as it fell into our laps so to speak. We started considering it strongly in April when his company mentioned they would be opening his position up there and we are moving on saturday. So I would say the actuality of it came about rather fast and furious! But all the signs point to this being the right choice so we are just enjoying the ride!

Old 08-14-2006, 06:07 AM

889 posts, read 2,994,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis02
I am still in my research phase and other life things somethings get in the way, but those who have moved or know they already are -

1- How long did it take for you to make a decision (I know I read in one post by markh - he and his wife talked about it for 2 yrs)

2-What made it for you (was it costs, job relo,) what was the one (if there was one) defining factor that helped you with the decision

thanks
Because of some of the jerks on this forum who feel that this lovely state should not be invaded by "oh my" people from the west, east and Florida it's a little hard to answer the question publicly because in the end some how they will once again post something negative about an honest opinion.
If you really want my opinion let me know and i will be happy to "P.M" you.

Old 08-14-2006, 06:34 AM

741 posts, read 3,398,852 times
almost 2 yrs. now, As you know, We were all set to go, and I found this forum talking about the "schools" in some area's. I was completely scared and had a mental picture in my head of what I thought was happening all over. I overreacted, gave it more time, more researching, and with a giant nudge from my husband have finally agreed. He figure's if we never take a chance we would never know what could have been. Life is short, kids are growing up so fast. My Southern family also thinks I should get back to my roots and experience how that side of the family has lived for many generations. As they say, It is in my blood whether I know it or not.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:01 PM

136 posts, read 728,346 times
It was very quick. The rest of the family was ddoing it. Jersey was costing too much. So from Feb the discussions began. IN march the Realtor came to the home in Jersey and told us what we wanted saying we could get what we wanted and we listed. By the end of March a house was bought. Moved in June. Jersey costs WAY too much, and it was a good chance out.

Old 08-15-2006, 01:34 PM

293 posts, read 914,233 times
Friends of ours told us they were moving in Nov. We decided to check it out online first & liked what we saw. We made a few trips down & put money down on a homesite (which was refundable if we changed our minds within 2 months). In the meantime I lost my job of 16 years & then Dh lost his job 6 wks. later. He did get another job quickly, but with no benefits so we're paying for COBRA. We said we would put the house up for sale & see what happens... (still not sure about moving at that time)...& what happens?? we sell the house in 4 wks! It's like someone is telling us to go!! So here we are, in contract & going for it.
Whew...sorry to ramble...I'm going to need a drink at Birkdale too when we get there!!!

Old 08-15-2006, 03:09 PM

889 posts, read 2,994,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrcts04
Friends of ours told us they were moving in Nov. We decided to check it out online first & liked what we saw. We made a few trips down & put money down on a homesite (which was refundable if we changed our minds within 2 months). In the meantime I lost my job of 16 years & then Dh lost his job 6 wks. later. He did get another job quickly, but with no benefits so we're paying for COBRA. We said we would put the house up for sale & see what happens... (still not sure about moving at that time)...& what happens?? we sell the house in 4 wks! It's like someone is telling us to go!! So here we are, in contract & going for it.
Whew...sorry to ramble...I'm going to need a drink at Birkdale too when we get there!!!
Yeah hoo another Birkdale person. When you comming and where you settling in?

Old 08-15-2006, 03:52 PM

293 posts, read 914,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc
Yeah hoo another Birkdale person. When you comming and where you settling in?
We're settling in Indian Trail in Union county, don't know exactly when, but I'm definately making the trip to Birkdale! (as long as you guys promise to come to my neck of the woods & have a drink at The Promenade. It's on Providence Rd. They have a band playing every Fri.& Sat. night in the middle of the shopping center & you can relax with a glass of wine!).

Old 08-15-2006, 05:53 PM

477 posts, read 1,519,978 times
What is "Birkdale"? I have heard others mention this too.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>