Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 05:13 PM

926 posts, read 828,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin' View Post
The problem with Fayetteville is it doesn't grow enough to change. While Raleigh and Charlotte have seen major growth, Fayetteville has remained about the same including during BRAC(Most of these people moved to Harnett County.) Also it is the least attractive metro in NC(Stated by their own mayor) and has the worst crime rate in NC(including Durham). Threw in that it's NC's hottest metro weather wise with less shade than most of NC(Mostly flat with scrub oaks and pines) and it's downright ugly. With no nightlife to speak of and a tighter, lower paying job market, Fayetteville doesn't have much too offer beyond the military. It's biggest private employer is a generic tire factory. So a few people out of the thousands that have trained in Fort Bragg like it, it doesn't change the facts.

Raleigh-Cary metro area leads North Carolina in growth, according to U.S. Census Bureau | News & Observer

Fayetteville, NC Crime and Crime Rate - USA.comâ„¢
Goodyear ain't generic though LOL
Are you talking about Goodyear, it employs 3,000? Only tires I put on my Audi lol!
Goodyear is currently being expanded, they are putting in 80 million dollars worth of expansion to the plant, upgrading, new technologies, new office positions etc they call themselves the "Backbone of Fayetteville economy" and the among the highest paid private sector employers in the state. I got a friend who works there, easily pulls almost 6-figures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 07:04 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,500,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer705 View Post
My grandfather grew up nearby in Canarsie, it's super ugly, i've only been there once though a long time ago. Flatbush is pretty good, you're right, not the most desirable, but definitely a decent area, I remember Flatbush Avenue being very good at least, though I didn't spend much time around Flatbush.

Yeah, Raleigh is a nice city, it's super clean, could you imagine if all of America looked like Raleigh? lol, but I guess it's good to have some diversity. The only thing I don't like about Raleigh is the boring downtown, it has a good amount of things to do, but the trees make it seem a lot smaller than it actually is and gives me a headache lol. Charlotte by far has the best downtown in the state in my opinion. Durham also has a very nice downtown. Not a Durham fan, but the downtown is very good for it's size.
Yeah it wasn't bad my time in Flatbush, I didn't have enough money to really enjoy the city but I definitely enjoyed just going out and about.

I'll actually disagree with you on the best downtown though. True Charlottes is bigger, but that's a boring downtown. Nothing interesting to look at, a bunch of generic, faceless steel, glass and poured concrete..no historical charm anywhere. Raleigh does have historical charm downtown, a few museums, parks, good restaurants and cool shops, etc. My favorite downtown in the state is actually Chapel Hill, though. Franklin Street is epic. No skyscrapers or anything like that but it's extremely walkable and historic, and in fact reminds me a bit of some parts of Brooklyn. What with the dozens of buses at any given time, bicyclists, tons of pedestrians, bars restaurants shops music venues, dt Chapel Hill is great!

Old 06-04-2017, 08:10 PM

351 posts, read 1,069,009 times
Quote:
Are you talking about Goodyear, it employs 3,000? Only tires I put on my Audi lol!
Goodyear is currently being expanded, they are putting in 80 million dollars worth of expansion to the plant, upgrading, new technologies, new office positions etc they call themselves the "Backbone of Fayetteville economy" and the among the highest paid private sector employers in the state. I got a friend who works there, easily pulls almost 6-figures.
I was told by a reliable source they produce a lot of discounted Kelly tires at the Fayetteville plant.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I'm with you on all your points except night life. Not sure what your definition is, but there are dozens of clubs, bars and strip clubs. Fayetteville has the 2nd most number of strip clubs in the state, behind only Charlotte...and even so, Charlotte only has 1 more (yet Charlotte has 4 times the population).
I was speaking of a more diverse, centralized nightlife(Downtown) with more clubs that offer live music and possibly a performing arts center or small amphitheatre. A young lady that I recently dated from Fayetteville always complained about having to go to Raleigh or Charlotte for concerts or a club she wasn't afraid to attend.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:01 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Quote:
I was told by a reliable source they produce a lot of discounted Kelly tires at the Fayetteville plant.
It used to be the Kelly-Springfield plant, so probably right on that.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
It used to be Kelly Springfield in like the 90s. Goodyear bought out the plant. It's now called "Goodyear Tire and Rubber Manufacturing Plant"
The plant heavily relies on American car manufacturers.
Kelly isn't generic either, it's a subsidiary of Goodyear.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Yeah it wasn't bad my time in Flatbush, I didn't have enough money to really enjoy the city but I definitely enjoyed just going out and about.

I'll actually disagree with you on the best downtown though. True Charlottes is bigger, but that's a boring downtown. Nothing interesting to look at, a bunch of generic, faceless steel, glass and poured concrete..no historical charm anywhere. Raleigh does have historical charm downtown, a few museums, parks, good restaurants and cool shops, etc. My favorite downtown in the state is actually Chapel Hill, though. Franklin Street is epic. No skyscrapers or anything like that but it's extremely walkable and historic, and in fact reminds me a bit of some parts of Brooklyn. What with the dozens of buses at any given time, bicyclists, tons of pedestrians, bars restaurants shops music venues, dt Chapel Hill is great!
I've never been to chapel hill, next time I'm in the Raleigh area I'll definitely check out downtown Chapel Hill! You're right, Raleigh has a great historic downtown, I haven't spent much time in it, and only drove through it, but it is very nice and well kept.

Old 06-05-2017, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Not even close among the highest paid private sector employers in NC with a norm salary of $66,000 per year.

The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Salaries in Fayetteville, NC, Average Salary & Jobs Pay

Top 100 NC Companies for jobs(zero in Fayetteville area)

https://www.flexjobs.com/company-guide/north-carolina

High tech(RTP) and the banking (Charlotte) pay a lot nowadays. I'm pretty sure that's why College's and Universities are bursting out of the seams this days. Cisco, Net App and Microsoft have thousands of jobs in RTP.

Best paying companies - Business Insider

Last edited by carolinadreamin'; 06-05-2017 at 03:18 AM..

Old 06-05-2017, 05:34 AM

10 posts, read 13,213 times
Quote:
6th largest city even w/o FB.
assuming Fay has 220,000 residents
Assuming 20,000 soldiers and their families
=200,000.

It isn't surprising Fayetteville is the state's 6th largest when in comparison to city's like High Point, Cary, and Asheville - all 3 feel significantly smaller than Fayetteville w/ a less commercial scene and economy doesn't differ very much.

I moved to Fayetteville for employment a few months ago and it's pretty good. I guess that may just be because I've always worked downtown, it's very relaxing.

I do disagree that their is "nothing to do" in Fayetteville though.
You have to ask yourself, what are you comparing it to that has 200,000 or so residents?

On the weekends I do the same things I would be doing in Greensboro.
Movie theater, malls, parks, nightclub etc.

Though I am interested, what do you wish Fayetteville would have? I'd like a Range Rover/Jaguar dealership and a Cheesecake factory lol. Kinda have to settle with Audi & Food Lion cakes
The thing about the numbers for soldiers and their families, both in Fayetteville and Cumberland/Hoke/Harnett counties is that the people who make up those numbers aren't the same every 2 or 3 years. There's a significant turnover due to soldiers and their families getting PCS'd to different bases regularly. The community, including the surrounding towns and counties, is constantly changing - even outside of the military, most teenagers, when they go off to university, don't come back to Fayetteville to live/work, which contributes to the population decline. Or they join the military but get assigned to a different duty station.

There is something for everyone if you're willing to find it, and I don't think it's usually about there being "nothing to do," but some people just want to complain every chance they get.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:57 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
I'll actually disagree with you on the best downtown though. True Charlottes is bigger, but that's a boring downtown. Nothing interesting to look at, a bunch of generic, faceless steel, glass and poured concrete..no historical charm anywhere.
Just because Charlotte's downtown isn't as historical doesn't mean it's boring. You can catch NBA, NFL, and minor league baseball games; you can visit Discovery Place, the art museums, the Gantt Center, Museum of the New South, ImaginOn (if you have kids), NASCAR HOF; there are parks; there's plenty of nightlife, special events, etc. If you're bored in Uptown Charlotte, that's really a reflection of you, not of Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina