Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 06:47 PM

103 posts, read 898,890 times

Advertisements

Missouri must have changed since 1999. That is definitely for the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 07:27 PM

889 posts, read 3,111,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I'm sorry but I have to agree with needhalc...there definately is no comparison to CA traffic in NC. I have spent the last 40 years driving CA roads and NC is not even in the same ball-park. At least from what I have experienced here so far. You're talking hours on CA freeways to go 20 miles. I may be wrong (I can't see how) but perhaps I've been missing all the NC traffic somehow!! Have been all through the Piedmont and mountains so far and no problems yet....not even in Charlotte during traffic time. I have hit some traffic, don't get me wrong....but nothing like in CA, thank God!!
Comming from Calif. too. i see the total opposite. It must have been the location of where i lived in Calif. that did not have major traffic issues compared to L.A.
I drive form Mooresville to Charlotte and because of the time i need to get to work its a nonissue but leaving work at 6pm which is better than 5 but its unlike anything i have ever experience before. The truckers are the worst and weave in and out of lanes.
So i think youve missed some of that dreaded Charlotte traffic so far )))

Old 06-29-2007, 07:40 PM

103 posts, read 898,890 times
Wilmington traffic is pretty congested too. Bumper to bumper especially in the summer time. My parents still live there, and I truly miss it. My aunt lived in Martinez, California, and she had a 2 hour commute to and from work everyday.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:56 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,016,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Daisy View Post
Where did the get the idea that N.C. has the worst traffic? It is nothing compared to DC or California traffic.
Well, you know, some of us have never lived in either of those places. So, sure, the traffic might not seem bad to you, but still be atrocious to others.

*sigh* This is the kind of transplant attitude that gives me the shudders

Old 06-30-2007, 08:22 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,431,305 times
Good summary, Mrs. P
Quote:
Wasn't so much "worst traffic" part of the study was based on how long one had to sit in bumper to bumper traffic (ie: congestion) because most likely the area does not have nor has kept up with what is needed to move their residents thru in a timely matter. NC was in the top ten.

They also had how much money per mile was spent by the State for roads.
NC again very low. But I believe if I recall correctly SC was the worst in the entire country for spending money on roads.

There were several different results from the study.
The state is having a hard time keeping up with the the population growth. Here's another article about the study. N.C. among worst in congestion
(http://www.charlotte.com/local/story/178179.html - broken link)

Quote:
A report released Thursday ranks North Carolina 47th out of 50 states in urban interstate traffic flow, with 72 percent of its city interstates clogged. N.C. beat California, Minnesota and New Jersey, according to the study from the libertarian think tank Reason Foundation, based in Los Angeles.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:33 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,247,320 times
I agree....what may be bad traffic or not so much traffic to me may not be as bad or good to others. And yes, I did live in an area of CA where the traffic was horrible. Again yes, I probably have not been through many areas of NC where the traffic is the worst, especially at those dreaded traffic hours. To be honest there are many areas of CA that the traffic is not bad at all. I just wasn't fortunate enough to live in those areas. Few, if any of us here can truely compare traffic in one state to another because as silverwing stated what is bad for one place/person may not be bad for another. I was wrong even trying to compare traffic in NC to CA. It's all relative!!

Last edited by cynwldkat; 06-30-2007 at 09:18 AM..

Old 06-30-2007, 11:53 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,368,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Well, you know, some of us have never lived in either of those places. So, sure, the traffic might not seem bad to you, but still be atrocious to others.

That's the kind of talk like when property taxes go up and some will say, "Yeah but you haven't paid property taxes until you've lived in <fill in the blank>". Sure it's not high to them but it might be high to you based on what you're used to. Same with traffic or congestion. You're the one who can say, "It never used to be like this".

Old 06-30-2007, 12:13 PM

3,259 posts, read 9,163,621 times
Quote:
However, to those of us who ARE moving in, we keep getting told how horrid the traffic is...yet some of us HAVE lived in places far worse. So to us, the traffic isn't horrid. It's just bad.

I got told I did NOT want to live on the Leland side of Wilmington because of the HORRID traffic on the bridge during rush hour. Well having dealt with far worse and not being able to find what I wanted/could afford on the east side of the river, we decided to live in Leland. Yes, it is bad, but it's not the impossible that some make it out to be TO US! Granted, to those of you who have never lived elsewhere, it is horrid and I can see that but it doesn't sit for hours on end.

So give us transplants a break, some of us are trying to fit in. Liz

Old 06-30-2007, 12:21 PM

653 posts, read 2,698,853 times
California traffic is horrible and it's true that North Carolina traffic isn't as bad. But, California is an outlier. Their traffic woes are so far beyond everyone else that they almost deserve their own category.

So, just because there is no comparison between North Carolina and California traffic doesn't mean North Carolina doesn't have highway congestion problems. We still have the right to complain!

Old 06-30-2007, 12:46 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,527,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post

True, however the article is a comparison of traffic among several states. So there's nothing wrong with one person saying it's not as bad as where they used to live- it's their frame of reference. I do see your point that a local's frame of reference will be before the boom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina