U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 06:48 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,262,354 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to one of these towns Pros and Cons please.Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 07:23 PM

8 posts, read 44,315 times
Wink Lenoir & Granite Falls

We just moved to Lenoir from Wa. state & we LOVE it here! The people are friendly & helpful. It's beautiful here, close to all kinds of activities! We're semi-retiree aged, don't know if that matters, but it's just our pace!!!!

Old 06-29-2007, 07:59 AM

219 posts, read 926,672 times
We are moving to Taylorsville next week .It is just north of Hickory.It seems to be very nice. Wonderful people we have met and the views are great

Melissa

Old 06-29-2007, 01:52 PM

8 posts, read 33,004 times
A former furniture manufacturing area with some still managing to hang on but looking up with the announcement of Google moving into the area.

Just an hours drive up 321 and you'll be in the beautiful coll mountains in the Boone, Blowing Rock and Banner Elk area - so you Ski?

All the areas you mentioned have similar traits - Hickory of course is larger Lenoir businesses are migrating from downtown to along 321 near CCC&TI.

I had and real estate and construction company in the Boone area while I worked with an real estate and appraisal company in Granite Falls - I would be happy to refer you to them. They're very savvy about the area and hard working as well.

email or pm me if I can help.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pinehurst View Post
A former furniture manufacturing area with some still managing to hang on but looking up with the announcement of Google moving into the area.

Just an hours drive up 321 and you'll be in the beautiful coll mountains in the Boone, Blowing Rock and Banner Elk area - so you Ski?

All the areas you mentioned have similar traits - Hickory of course is larger Lenoir businesses are migrating from downtown to along 321 near CCC&TI.

I had and real estate and construction company in the Boone area while I worked with an real estate and appraisal company in Granite Falls - I would be happy to refer you to them. They're very savvy about the area and hard working as well.

email or pm me if I can help.

We fell in love with Boone and we have friends living in Boone but I would like to spend less for a home that is why we are looking into the areas that I mentioned. We have a real estate agent sending us listings in the towns that I have mentioned and she was recommended by two of our friends but if I need your help I will surely ask you.We loved a development in Granite falls but I know nothing about these towns ecept they are near the Blue Ridge MTS and I fell in love with them. We moved to FL three years ago and we hate it so we will have to sell our home and the market is not good down here.So that is another sticking point all I know is we are going to move even if we have to house payments for awhile.Fl homeowners INS if you can get it is sky high and Allstate as many other name ins co are leaving FL.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattipbt View Post
We just moved to Lenoir from Wa. state & we LOVE it here! The people are friendly & helpful. It's beautiful here, close to all kinds of activities! We're semi-retiree aged, don't know if that matters, but it's just our pace!!!!
We are close to retirement age but hubby works. If we make this move he can do the Job from home and once a month he can fly or drive down to the main office if need be in Fl. We did that when we lived in Ca and it worked out fine.I think that is why I love NC and that area so much it reminds me of home (CA) we had lived there for 25years and to see the mountains again was like heaven. Fl is so flat. You really sound so happy living in NC that is how I want to feel.I envy you.

Old 07-01-2007, 05:39 PM

2 posts, read 17,266 times
My husband and I are recent escapee's from Florida. We moved here to Valdese, NC in February. We lived in FL for over 20 years. We are originally from PA & OH. I love it here. All the towns you mentioned are nice but I fell in love with Valdese's downtown area. It's small but so lovely. People are friendly and for the most part have share the same values as we do...i.e. family values, etc... The only down side about the area here, including the areas you mentioned, is that the economy has been depressed due to the loss of a lot of the furniture manufacturing going over seas. My husband found a good job because he's in the medical field and his skills are in great demand here...thank God.
If you have any questions I'll be glad to help.
Jeanne

Old 07-05-2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthesonlite View Post
My husband and I are recent escapee's from Florida. We moved here to Valdese, NC in February. We lived in FL for over 20 years. We are originally from PA & OH. I love it here. All the towns you mentioned are nice but I fell in love with Valdese's downtown area. It's small but so lovely. People are friendly and for the most part have share the same values as we do...i.e. family values, etc... The only down side about the area here, including the areas you mentioned, is that the economy has been depressed due to the loss of a lot of the furniture manufacturing going over seas. My husband found a good job because he's in the medical field and his skills are in great demand here...thank God.
If you have any questions I'll be glad to help.

Jeanne

I wish I could say we were recent escapee's of fl also. You are so lucky.The homes are just not selling here and we haven't put ours up for sale yet.We should but we are waiting to see what my husbands latest scans are. If there is still no signs of his ancer returning we will put this house on the market and if it doesn't sell we will rent it out.The economy does not worry us because he has a job that he can work anywhere as long as it is close enough to an airport. We did that when we lived in CA and it worked well. The only reason we moved here was so he could be close to the main office.Big mistake since he got sucked in to the day to day problems of the Co /factory. When we move up to NC FL is only an 11 hour drive and he will also go down there for is checkups. We will keep our doctors or at least he will.
Lorrie

Old 07-05-2007, 10:48 PM

1,179 posts, read 3,475,125 times
Each county has different tax rates. The further you get from the mountains the warmer it gets. The big advantage of living down the mountain from Boone is we don't get the winter they do. The disadvantage is that it not as cool as Boone in the summer. Hey, if it gets hot we go to Boone. When the cars come down from Boone covered with snow and salt in the winter I know we made the right choice.
Another advantage to the area you are looking at is US321. It is a limited access highway with little traffic from Hickory to Gastonia making the trek to the airport a breeze.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:40 AM

324 posts, read 1,456,849 times
sister lives in taylorsville and have a friend that lives in lenoir...friends spends more time over here than she does at home...and I dont know if it because she has kids but whenever I go to my sisters we never do anything and i dont like going over there as much :|.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina