Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 06:42 AM

241 posts, read 753,128 times

Advertisements

So Charlotte needs more major universities and a hipper vibe to come close to Raleigh?I love living in a city with no "major" universities. The quality of life, in my opinion, is superior in Charlotte. Lets' see, hipper vibe? I am confused on what this means. Let me know so we can debate on this argument as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Charlotte is not much bigger than Raleigh-Durham either, and since you brought it up, it can't touch the culture of the triangle with its hipper vibe and more major universities. I am not sure why Charlotte feels it is so grand or the need to denigrate other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 07:23 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,422,807 times
The two cities (not the metro areas) are not the same size. I'm not making a judgment about either one, just stating the facts.

From here at City Data: Estimated population July 2006
Charlotte - 630,478 (242.3 square miles) Raleigh - 356,321 (114.6 square miles)

I went to UNC Charlotte (go niners!) and I have friends that went to Carolina, Duke and State. I spent a lot of time in the Triangle. Personally, I prefered the nightlife in Charlotte. YMMV.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:25 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,664,089 times
NCgirl you just proved our point.

Even in the stats you quoted it shows 242.3 square miles, are an understatement. Try over 280 sq miles!!!

Raleigh is surrounded by towns, to which it cannot annex. If Raleigh was the same size as Charlotte physically, it would be of comparable size. Charlotte has bloated city population stats, due to gross annexation, just like Louisville KY.

You also said something else that you need to think about. You said I. Meaning what you prefer. That doesn't mean it's fact. If you like the conservative executive nightlife, kudos to you. Try Charlotte. If you like the more young and alternative organic nightlife, try Raleigh. Neither one is that much better than the other. I'm happy North Carolina has such varying cultures and atmosphere.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:50 PM

3,292 posts, read 8,525,557 times
The city of Raleigh actually has a slightly higher population density than Charlotte. Also, would you consider Charlotte a bigger city than DC? The population is more, but DC is 60 sq. miles. Numbers can often be decieving IMO.

I have nothing against Charlotte and will actually be making my 2nd visit to the city on Sunday and staying until Wednesday. I look forward to staying in downtown/uptown(?) and experience all that Charlotte has to offer.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
The city of Raleigh actually has a slightly higher population density than Charlotte. Also, would you consider Charlotte a bigger city than DC? The population is more, but DC is 60 sq. miles. Numbers can often be decieving IMO.

I have nothing against Charlotte and will actually be making my 2nd visit to the city on Sunday and staying until Wednesday. I look forward to staying in downtown/uptown(?) and experience all that Charlotte has to offer.
Exactly.

Anyone that thinks Charlotte is larger than Atlanta based on city population is a moron. To me Charlotte has an impressive skyline, the rest of the city is anywhere USA, just like most southern cities. That's not to insult Charlotte however. If you think Charlotte is a major US city, you need your head checked. Charlotte is a nice, large city in NC, that can offer a little bit of big city amenities, with small town charm.

Greensboro is the only city out of those three that happen to be a bit smaller.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:49 PM

241 posts, read 753,128 times
Charlotte, North Carolina is the 20th largest city in the country. You dont call that a major city? Charlotte is the second-largest banking center in the United States, and two of the nation's top banks, Wachovia and Bank of America, are headquartered here. I want to see the resumes of other "major" cities. The latest population is 630,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Exactly.

Anyone that thinks Charlotte is larger than Atlanta based on city population is a moron. To me Charlotte has an impressive skyline, the rest of the city is anywhere USA, just like most southern cities. That's not to insult Charlotte however. If you think Charlotte is a major US city, you need your head checked. Charlotte is a nice, large city in NC, that can offer a little bit of big city amenities, with small town charm.

Greensboro is the only city out of those three that happen to be a bit smaller.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:11 PM

74 posts, read 99,751 times
I moved to Charlotte from BORING Raleighwood...15 years ago and have never looked back...have friends there and have been back many times...and still the same old satgnant downtown...they have like 2 high rise buildings...and that is it.

Uptown Charlotte has probably 20 more buildings or more than Raleigh...and Charlotte has a Major International Airport...GREAT shopping...MUCH better nightlife (unless you like 18 year olds on Hillsborough St)...and many 1st class restaurants that stay open past 10pm.

Raleigh is and has always been jealous of Charlotte...because Charlotte boomed and Raleigh as stayed stagnant.

Downtown Raleigh has -1- OLD ancient hotel (Sheraton)...Uptown Charlotte has about 15...and a new Ritz Carlton is under construction and we are also getting a new very hip chic "W' Hotel...

If you like Raleigh great...if you like Charlotte great...different people like different things...some like boring...some like excitement...I prefer the exciting Queen City of Charlotte NC...

Old 10-10-2007, 03:34 PM

3,292 posts, read 8,525,557 times
Look charlotte is bigger than Raleigh, but how the Hell can you claim that Raleigh is stagnet? That has got to be one of the dumbest things I've heard in a while. We're growing like crazy and downtown is growing like crazy too. I happen to think there is a lot to do in downtown Raleigh (and I moved here from DC) and in a few years the Raleigh skyline and downtown in general will look a lot different. There are several highrise buildings in the construction/planning stages and Condos are shooting up fast. I hear that in 3 years the number condos in downtown Raleigh will double.

This area is actually not much smaller than Charlotte, it's just that Raleigh is much smaller land wise, but Raleigh and Durham actually touch boarders and Cary and Apex and a couple other smaller towns add on another 300k people. I'm so excited to move to a city that is growing and becoming more exciting every day. I'm sure I would have liked Charlotte too, but choose Raleigh for the great career/school oppurtunities and the fact that I'm only about 4 hours from my family as opposed to 6.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen City Lover View Post
I moved to Charlotte from BORING Raleighwood...15 years ago and have never looked back...have friends there and have been back many times...and still the same old satgnant downtown...they have like 2 high rise buildings...and that is it.

Uptown Charlotte has probably 20 more buildings or more than Raleigh...and Charlotte has a Major International Airport...GREAT shopping...MUCH better nightlife (unless you like 18 year olds on Hillsborough St)...and many 1st class restaurants that stay open past 10pm.

Raleigh is and has always been jealous of Charlotte...because Charlotte boomed and Raleigh as stayed stagnant.

Downtown Raleigh has -1- OLD ancient hotel (Sheraton)...Uptown Charlotte has about 15...and a new Ritz Carlton is under construction and we are also getting a new very hip chic "W' Hotel...

If you like Raleigh great...if you like Charlotte great...different people like different things...some like boring...some like excitement...I prefer the exciting Queen City of Charlotte NC...
What's up with all of the bashing. You're not the best representative of Charlotte with that attitude. I've been to Charlotte uptown as well and I was quite a bit disapointed with the surroundings (corporate bars and such). My disapointment was also because of the fact I listened to Charlotteans claiming Charlotte was this big major city blah blah blah. When I arrived, I expected a major city. The place looked like Raleigh with taller and nicer skycrapers. Unfortunetly there was hardly any street level activity and retail, or older buildings. It looked too sterile, if you ask me.

If I took Charlotte for what is was ( a large instead of major city), I don't think I would have been so disapointed. The hype must stop. It's seriously misleading. I've lived in ATL ,Baltimore, and DC, Charlotte isn't even in the same solar system as these places. When I left, I did my homework, stats, geoghaphy, history, economy etc. When it was all said and done the city stats Charlotte claims are bloated, Raleigh has 1/2 million more square feet of retail Downtown than Charlotte, the so called CSA pop of 2.1 million consists of FIFTEEN COUNTIES!.... Charlotte gets an A+ in marketing. Raleigh gets a C-.

Charlotte is a lone central city. That works in its favor very well. I love Charlotte, but you guys are pushing it with all of the boosterism.

P.S. Skyscrapers aren't the only thing that make a downtown, ask Washington D.C.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:26 PM

On top of that. You know just as well as I, neither of these cities are remotely the same as they were fifteen years ago! They're two of the fastest growing cities in the nation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina