Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2010, 08:53 PM

22 posts, read 52,534 times

Advertisements

Hello. Moved here to Fuquay and am reading that you can operate a Moped on the streets with an engine of under 50ccs and not have a lisence. Can anyone help me with how to find out if this is true? Like a place where I can read it officially? I just purchased one on Ebay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 09:28 PM

18 posts, read 36,664 times
When I bought one a decade ago, I was told by the seller that I could operate one under 50cc if I kept it under 20mph. If I went over that, I could be cited for not having tags and insurance. However, this came from a guy trying to sell me a moped... so take it for what it's worth.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:38 PM

13,912 posts, read 39,115,847 times
In MD its 49 cc. In WV there is no such law but a lot of people seem to get away with it.... Contact the State police they will tell you the truth!

Old 09-15-2010, 10:00 PM

Hmm, Im having a hard time finding a straight answer online lol

Old 09-15-2010, 10:02 PM

286 posts, read 747,727 times
From DMV website:

You must be age 16 or older to operate a moped on North Carolina highways or public vehicular areas. A driver license is not required, and the moped does not have to be registered, inspected or covered by liability insurance. A motorcycle safety helmet is required by law when operating a moped on North Carolina highways. A moped cannot have a motor of more than 50 cubic centimeters, an external shifting device or have the capability of exceeding 30 miles per hour on a level surface.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:42 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,292,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy61 View Post
From DMV website:

You must be age 16 or older to operate a moped on North Carolina highways or public vehicular areas. A driver license is not required, and the moped does not have to be registered, inspected or covered by liability insurance. A motorcycle safety helmet is required by law when operating a moped on North Carolina highways. A moped cannot have a motor of more than 50 cubic centimeters, an external shifting device or have the capability of exceeding 30 miles per hour on a level surface.
As A moped owner the above is correct. I want to add if over 50cc then you will need to treat it like a motorcycle. I drove it before I had a car but its fun. and its great on gas 100 miles a gallon.

Also there is an online only helmet shop base out of Charlotte so the helmets are ship fast I recommend Jafrum Motorcycle Helmets & Motorcycle Helmet - Shoei, HJC, Scorpion Helmets for Sale

Take it to beach when you get a chance

good luck

Old 09-16-2010, 05:38 AM

Hey thanks for the tip. I really appriciate it. I purched a Moped that has a 49cc engine and its capabile of up to 50mph max. So the question is, is it possible to put a resistor on it to only go up to 30mph so I could keep it legal? I dont want to worry about riding it around and it has a speedomoter that says 50mph.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:35 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,292,087 times
If its less than 50cc the top speed is 35mph. You can not ride on interstates from personal expeirence I would recommend sticking to streets with 35 mph. Drive it around the neighborhood for your first week of ownership and your use to braking, turns and your comfortable with it.
When possible choose 4 lane roads so cars can just switch lanes; or roads with bike lanes.Try to avoid 45 mph roads but the handbook suggests maintaining the right side but I only do it if I see a car approaching other wize you want to ride in middle because the edge of road has rocks and more pot holes things you must avoid on a scooter. Plus its easier for drivers to see you.
I bought a bright reflective wind breaker to wear for more added visibility.
When sitting in traffic Ride in the middle til you get to other side of intersection then hang on to right side. These are just suggestions from my experience drivers can be rude and self fish sharing the road. There is a Festival for moped riders in the Mountains around Knoxville.
I never been but from the web it looks fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina