Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 07:40 PM

129 posts, read 186,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
You have a lot of folks on here strait up lying and or highly exaggerating things. Ramsey st isn't bad, people on here are only talking about a very small portion of ramsey st and that area just so happens to be where there really isn't much reason to be there in the first place. It's not like you are going to pass the Food Lion, the Hardees, the Kangeroo, The Bowling Alley, Methodist College, The Panera, The Walmart shopping center, Star Bucks, Five Guys, Jimmy's, Lowes, Big Lots, the YMCA, Cook Out, The Aldi's, Reid Ross, the VA Hospital and say well I just pass several gas stations and quick bites to eat, but I think I stop at this gas station here that is out of the way, isn't near anything towards shopping are eating, and has a bunch of people just hanging out in front.

Same damn thing with the Murc(Murchison Rd) and Bragg, what real reason would you be there? If you live there ok. but It's not like if you don't live in the small area, the Murc and Bragg aren't real neighborhoods there just roads with areas where there is crime, no where near the level shelter folks on here think it is though.

As far as Downtown go it isn't that Bad either, I live in Cary Now, but I'll take Fayetteville's Downtown over Cary's any day.

Don't get me wrong, Fayetteville has it's issues and I'm not trying to move back, but what I have learned in living multiple places, is that some folks who aren't feeling a place hate it so much because they have sheltered themselves so they never truly explore the city that they live in. Never seeing what it has the offer are at least see it's potential, all to keep their same perspective, they may not have ever seen crime actually, but after watching or reading the news in their homes they have imprisoned themselves in, they are sure it's every where.

Get out and explore, google search, I have learned sometimes locals(folks that grew up all their lives in xyz city) don't even truly know it, There have been plenty of times where I'm talking about a place and so and so who has been here before I was born never heard of this place at all. I hated Augusta when I lived there but I told my self well I live here so let me at least try and make the best of it, I ended up finding a lot of cool places, and like Fayetteville, I'm, glad I moved but still say that the place has great potential despite of it's issues.
Cary is a suburb, of course its downtown is small, but it's certainly nicer than Fayetteville's, and if you want a real DT experience you're closer to downtown Raleigh than most Raleighites! (not to mention DT Durham.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 12:57 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked_ID View Post
Cary is a suburb, of course its downtown is small, but it's certainly nicer than Fayetteville's, and if you want a real DT experience you're closer to downtown Raleigh than most Raleighites! (not to mention DT Durham.)
Cary is nicer then Fayetteville yes, but Fayetteville's downtown is much better then Cary's(not just because of it's size, apex downtown is smaller and it is better then Cary's same thing with Hillsborough). Yeah, I'm close to both Raleigh and Durham, still would be nice if Cary would add more to it's downtown(which they are plans and things to come) versus it's shopping centers. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Fayetteville's downtown is great, all I'm saying is, it has potential and is better then a lot of you are making it out to be.

Read a post about there is only so many times you can go to the children's museum, well branch out, hit up Festival Park , watch a movie at Cameo , go to airborne museum , hit up freedom memorial park afterward or cape fear historical complex, hit up the climbing place , grab some coffee at rude awakening or cumberland coffee roasters, get some local meats and other items as well as meals at the Butcher and the baker, hit up the wine cafe, get a book at center city gallery and books, or a comic/graphic novel at MoJoe and Jacks, grab a bite at new moon, get some craft beer at Huske , try dishes from Ghana and Nigeria at a taste of Africa, get some pizza at Pierro's Catch a event/festival

Fayetteville isn't the best place but like I said it definitely isn't no where near as bad as folks(online) claim it to be, it's my home town, it's not the most exciting place, it has it's rough edges, and even though I moved on, I still say it has a lot of potential, it just needs more people willing to put their energy towards making it better instead wasting it to bash it.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:50 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,500,322 times
Where is downtown Cary? DT Fay is Hay St and whatnot, what is it in Cary? I'd like to check it out.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:27 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Where is downtown Cary? DT Fay is Hay St and whatnot, what is it in Cary? I'd like to check it out.
Depending on where you live in Cary you could walk to Raleigh, it is in triangle, it takes me like 15 to get to Durham and like 10 to 12 minutes to get to downtown Raleigh you can take 40w and get of at exit 290 take the left on chapel hill rd, and once you turn on academy st you will be in downtown Cary, I usually just hit up DT Raleigh, Dt Durham or DT Chapel HIll since they are close and when I want to keep it local I'll hit up DT Apex(small but has some nice spots) since it's almost just as close as going to DT Cary.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:20 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Grammy-Nominated Rapper's New Album Features Fayetteville, NC | WUNC

Old 11-24-2014, 01:17 PM

2 posts, read 6,714 times
I've lived in Fayetteville for almost twenty years. There are beautiful country home sites as well as upper class home sites and gated communities in Fayetteville. However, I will say what some people consider "luxury" leaves a lot to be desired. I'm not saying that there aren't some beautiful homes here- there are. You just have to go to exclusive neighborhoods for that. There is some culture here- not much but some. There is one major mall and a few smaller malls. I hate malls, so I can't judge this one. The Crown Colliseum holds several concerts and sporting events yearly. There is a small downtown theater here and there are other places that have plays. Northwood Temple has beautiful plays several times a year and they are usually free. There is one negative thing about this area that I have run into time and time again and that is prejudice. Many people here are friendly and try to be neighborly; however, I seem to always run across an undertone of prejudice (sometimes it's outright). The fact that this is a military town greatly reduces that undertone, but some neighboring towns are highly prejudice. The city's symbol is the Markethouse. It's where slaves were sold. Downtown Fayetteville reminds me of Grennich Village in Manhattan and is quite quaint. Crime is like anywhere else. Neighborhood watches lowers crime. There is one hospital for civilians and one for veterans. Im not fond of either. There are medical facilities on Fort Bragg as well. UNC, Duke, ECU, Campbell University, NC State, and Pembroke are about an hour away so there are good colleges within a decent distance. Fort Bragg also offers classes from outside colleges on post as well as online. You won't have the high life you seek here in Fayetteville; however, it can be comfortably pleasant.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:53 PM

2 posts, read 6,714 times
drrckmtthws posted wonderful pictures about Fayetteville. There IS great potential in Fayetteville. The city is fervently trying to beautify Fayetteville. They are renovating unsafe and unsightly buildings as well as building new apartment complexes. Many are QUITE nice. The city is also trying to clean up neighborhoods that have been decaying. Fayetteville is a work in progress. I expect more positive developments to come.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,260 times
North Carolina is not a bad place to live. It is a destination to go to. The outer banks and beaches south of Wilmington are just a few hours away from the Ft Bragg area. But living in Fayetteville NC is a step back in civilization. The history of the town and its roots seem to haunt it. If you can afford to live out of town and you have children then I recommend the Pinehurst and Southern Pines area. Crime is very low. The police many of which are retired spec ops guys capture criminals within hours of crimes. The schools in the area are some of the best in NC. The elementary school and middle school in Pinehurst and West End received a 10 from great schools. The area is very scenic and the downtown area's are thriving. The culture and history of the area is rich although golf and equestrian oriented. Now that Camp McCall and Western Ft Bragg are growing much of the community is Senior ranking, mature, and very professional. For more information a good site to visit is [url=http://www.treadrockproperties.com/best-places-to-live-around-ft-bragg.html]Pinehurst Lake Pinehurst NC[/url]

Old 12-01-2014, 04:09 PM

2,111 posts, read 2,726,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
If you are hanging out on Bragg BLVD in the wee hours of the night then you might get in trouble. I drive around all the time and have never had any problems with violent crime.

Every town has crime, some just don't report it that much and keep it hush hush. The one thing that Fayetteville has that most towns don't are trains, lots of trains! It's one of the few places that I can video at night as well. I posted a video below of a typical night in Fayetteville. I won't give the exact location as I don't like revealing my benching spots but if you live there it's very easy to figure out. The video has times in it so one can see that I feel very comfortable staying out all night there. I personally think the town gets a bad rap because I've never had a bad experience there....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAi_...d2TPtUMvlqIgUA

Old 12-02-2014, 11:20 PM

26 posts, read 94,727 times
How do I delete this thread?

I posted this years ago, when I was a kid haha, and my life is completely different these days. I don't need this posting up anymore. Maybe its been helpful to others...but I posted this original thread over 4 years ago! haha funny thats its still up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina