Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 05:49 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,055,344 times

Advertisements

I like Fayetteville. Granted I haven't seen ALL of it yet. The downtown is very nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 05:36 PM

102 posts, read 170,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
That is a bit narrowminded. Look though some of my old posts about the area and you will find I have listed many activities that don't involve drinking. I do like going to the movies with my family so I won't comment on that.

No, I don't think I am being narrow-minded, I am just stating what I have seen and experienced. As far as having "many activities" to do, again I disagree and I while I also like to go to the movies, I don't like going everytime I feel like going out.

Case in point: A common barometer for gauging what the residents (as a whole) like to do or what activities are prevalent in any town can be measured by what the residents spend their discretionary income on, thus causing the local economy to respond with supply and demand. The short-lived Arts Council of Fayetteville recently closed down due to lack of sponsorship, or donor support. You can't blame the recession or economic downturn on this lack of interest, since the local Olive Garden has people lined up out the door on any given Friday night. People obviously support the chain-restaurants in town, and their social priority speaks through their wallet.

Best Life Magazine named Fayetteville, NC the "3rd worst place to live" in the USA in 2008. I doubt that Best Life had a personal vedetta against Fayetteville or gave them this dubious honor based on an emotional bias. I think they simply compiled data.

For anyone thinking of moving to the area, or must move to the area I say simply do your homework. Compile your own data, get the recent crime statistics (which are factual) and if possible, do a dry-run and visit the area.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:55 PM

102 posts, read 170,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
See that's the thing, Fayetteville does have good attributes. However those attribute are only about 20% of the entire city. Fayetteville is awful. I used to work down there. I tried my best to stay positive, but Fayetteville is unfortunately an immensely depressing city (or town)...

Good post and true observation MetroM. I agree. While if you look hard enough you can find some nice things about Fayetteville, but they are few and far between. For every 2 decent attributes, you have 8 awful ones. It's unfortunate because I know there are some life-long residents who love their hometown and are very nice people. Again however, Fayetteville tends to be a "transient" town by which I mean the majority of residents are temporary, they move in and move out on a regular basis.

I also found it to be a depressing town. I personally felt there was a sense of malaise afflicting the general population and an overall attitude and acceptance that if "life is crummy" or if our "town is crummy", well so be it...such is life.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:08 PM

610 posts, read 3,009,288 times
Fayetteville is GARBAGE, period. I hate it here and I can't wait to leave.

It's not like I will be missing anything. There are no jobs around here except minimum wage fast food positions and all of those high paying jobs at Ft. Bragg are difficult to get; you have to know someone to get one of those civil service type jobs.

What really ticks me off is when people act like Fayetteville is the greatest place to live in America. This city is FAR, FAR, FAR away from holding that title.

The only people who seem to like this place are bible thumpers, people who have no ambition or direction in their life, druggies, gangbangers, and people who have never been anywhere in their life.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:55 PM

32,767 posts, read 35,986,074 times
"Best Life Magazine named Fayetteville, NC the "3rd worst place to live" in the USA in 2008."

Give me a break. The worst. The worst? To me, this sounds like someone in NY or LA mining Google late at night for a 7 AM deadline. Move to another depressed area like Youngstown, OH (I don't want to hear it, I pulled out of a hat) then tell me how awful Fayetteville is.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:07 PM

4 posts, read 14,138 times
Any place you look up on CIty Data, people have awful things to say about. I personally think that nobody wants any newcomers arriving to shake things up! And they STILL LIVE in the town they're trashing, for the most part.
Don't be scared, new people are a good thing!
Also, only people who like to complain bother to post.
If I wrote about my own town, which is way upscale, you'd be horrified to find out what I'd say!

Old 02-18-2011, 09:13 AM

512 posts, read 1,630,022 times
I know this is a late reply. Here is my take on Fayetteville. Now when I speak, I'm a former veteran myself. Military towns tend to be a little on the...... oh how can I say it..... slow side. Fayetteville is not as bad as people make it to be. There are plenty of places intown and out side (Hope Mills, Stedman, Vander, Grey's Creek) that are safe affordable and still can get to downtown or Fort Bragg in 20-30 mins. It's just that if your from a bigger city like myself Fayetteville can be a let down to a degree.

Fayetteville is like a lot of military and southern cities with the exception of bigger southern cities. It doesn't really wow you, but with these type of places it's getting to know locals.

With the locals you find out about things that aren't published. Usually there is a barbeque or some social event that is going on with other locals that tend to help in the fun factor. As much as people really talk about things to do or amenities often times we only partake in these places/things every so often. The rest of the time is spent at friends and family members homes. So while Fayetteville isn't exactly the most interesting town it's a decent place to live. People to me are friendly and once excepted treat you like family, then again I believe that is pretty much true with any place you go though.

To the op it will take some adjustment, but when you get involved in social events or churches places like Fayetteville will become more enjoyable. Believe me people, I've seen my share of not so interesting places from Biloxi, MS to Dover, DE and more. While each place wasn't my idea of paradise, you have to learn to adjust and find things that will involve you in the community. Hope the move will strengthen your relationship and help you to be able to adjust to living in different places.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 9,880 times
Default Welcome to shallow perceptions incorporated...or remarks about Fayetteville by bored occupants

First off, if you hate our city, move. If you find us to be too boring, move.
I see a lot of negativity toward our city, yet, when folks move here they DON'T LEAVE. lol
I'll just relate this little story to you. If you move to a new location, perhaps you should attempt to understand that your new location is NOT your old location. Can you say DUH?
So on with the story. We acquired a new neighbour. I found out she was a new neighbour because she left a flyer in my mailbox complaining about how the UPS driver (as if I her neighbour is in charge of UPS) had driven far too fast in her graveled driveway and had misplaced or rearranged the gravel. She complained in this flyer that she was disgusted enough already that she had a gravel driveway and not a paved drive like she was used to back in her home state of Connecticutt. Her flyer further whined about the two hours she spent picking up the gravel by hand and attempting to find it's recent location in her driveway. By this point of the flyer (which had a colour photograph showing the 20-some pieces of gravel) I was thinking that this new neighbour may have some difficulty relocating to our rural neighbourhood.
Next flyers arrived in multiple mailboxes sometime after Thanksgiving. Her new complaint? Multi-coloured Christmas lights and the very common displays of mangers. Seems she was upset over the fact that everyone wasn't using clear light strands. Well on our four acres we have always carried on our late father's tradition of stringing multiple strands of lights in the old cedar/dogwood/holly trees on the four corners of the property. We usually do all blue on one corner, red on another corner, green and then gold ...etc. Well we had a Santa sleigh and reindeer illuminated in multi-coloured lights on the old stable roof and a manger scene in the center of the property. Paperclipped on my personal copy of the flyer was a polaroid photograph showing our property with the lights all a-glow. It seems I was a most notorious multi-coloured light offender.
Folks this is a rural area, everyone decorates as they please. There are NO homeowners' associations setting rules about how people decorate for the holiday. Personal opinion? I don't think anyone NOT paying my electric bill should ever determine what I choose to decorate with during the holidays. The following Sunday at church, I discovered that about 12 other folks had found flyers in their mailboxes. We all just sort of shook our heads and did the polite Southerners' usual response to outlandish behaviour by newcomers ...we chuckled, sighed and then said "bless her heart".
In my work I'm often out of town/state and arrive home at all hours. I was coming in from my last assignment before Christmas around 3am. I was full of holiday happy, singing with the car radio and enjoying seeing the Christmas lights as I drove. While deep in thought about what Christmas preparations I needed to do before the big day two weeks later I realized I was only half a mile from my driveway. I could see the Christmas lights glowing. I smiled and was happy they had come on with the timers I had set. I was feeling great pride and then I saw the blue lights go off. Next, the red lights went out...all of them eventually going out and I realized that it couldn't be happening like this on it's own. I decided to turn my headlights off as I drove down our long driveway. Easy to do if you've rode a bike by moonlight down that same path when a child. As I neared my house I noticed there was a drop cloth or tarp on our manger scene. HELLO, THIS IS AMERICA, I CAN DISPLAY WHAT I PLEASE. I turned on my headlights and caught glimpse of a figure scurrying away from the manger. A small woman in a hooded coat, flashlight in hand, running for the woods at the back of the property. I stopped the vehicle and got out shouting, "HEY WHAT ARE YOU DOING?". The woman looked back once and she climbed over the fence that marked the end of my property and the beginning of hers. I stood there, sort of not fully taking in the lengths this woman had taken..and whispered to myself, "Okay....we're dealing with someone with severe control issues here". LOL
So began Christmas Decor War. The flyers kept arriving in our mailboxes. Most of them with an accompanying polaroid photo and the flyer listing our offenses. She even went so far as to do a top ten rating of the worst offenders of NON-CLEAR CHRISTMAS LIGHTS. Proud to say I was usually number 1 or 2 for the next ten days. Neighbours and I discussed the rankings..wondering how they could change daily if the lights didn't change their positions or colours. LOL Finally my niece and I decided to give her something in her mailbox. So we went shopping found some multi-coloured Christmas lights in the nice large C-9 sized bulb. Bright gem-like colours of red, green, blue....ahhh the magnificence of their glow. So the night before Christmas Eve we hiked to our Christmas lights revolutionary's front driveway with all the overly manicured and trimmed shrubs. We were giggling as we stood there looking at the meticulous arranging of the glowing clear lights. I kept doing quotes from Monty Python's Holy Grail..ya know...bring me a shrubbery....we're the knights that say.... NEEEEEEHHHH. LOL So we went to work and connected about 800 multi-coloured Christmas lights to the clear ones our turbulent little neighbour had on her shrubs and small bushes in their front yard. It was amazing how more warm it looked. We quickly strung the lights. Then I unfolded a tripod and attached my camera. I took a few snaps of her yard with all the majesty of our little addition of multi-coloured C-9 bulbs. Just as the dawn was rising I got the last photos. We quickly took the light strands off, leaving her shrubs as pristine as they were before our arrival. We giggled our way back to my house and indulged ourselves with pound cake and hot chocolate. So I developed the pix. I had 25 flyers made with the photo....full colour. We listed her as the top offender of multi-coloured lights with myself a close second. LOL I then had a calendar made with a nice 8.5 X 11.5 copy of the pic at the top...so you could enjoy it's spendor all through the twelve months of the year. On Christmas Day we distributed the flyers throughout the neighbourhood. I left her both a flyer and the calendar in her mailbox. I had signed each month of the calendar with a "welcome to the neighbourhood". The next Sunday at church everyone was wondering who had done it. I sat quietly as they all giggled over it. I said a few more prayers than usual wondering what this deed would bring me punishment-wise in the afterlife.
Why did I tell you this story? Well...when you move somewhere new. Accept that what was the norm or practice of your old location might not be what you should do here. Realize that a southern accent doesn't indicate what level of intelligence is behind this odd (to you) twang. Be aware that you might not know everything, or that your new southern neighbour might know a tiny bit more about an area that their ancestors probably settled back in the 1600s (as mine did). OH and remember that your accent might even make US giggle a bit ... although as Southerners we will giggle behind our hands in a polite manner. So yes we get excited when it snows here, we don't get as much snow as other locations in this big country. We know it's hot, we've probably worked large farms in this kind of heat, and if we say, do your errands early in the morning, take our advice. Remember that respect of private property isn't a backwoods attitude but more just a polite attitude. In other words, you're the newbie here, don't judge so fast, and adjust a bit. Because as I said in the beginning of this post, y'all (yes it's a word, known as a contraction from old English origin, and is listed in my Oxford dictionary) sure don't ever seem to MOVE ANYWHERE ELSE ONCE YOU ARRIVE HERE IN NORTH CAROLINA.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:32 AM

572 posts, read 1,604,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macwench2006 View Post
I see a lot of negativity toward our city, yet, when folks move here they DON'T LEAVE. lol
I'll just relate this little story to you. If you move to a new location, perhaps you should attempt to understand that your new location is NOT your old location. Can you say DUH?
So on with the story. We acquired a new neighbour. I found out she was a new neighbour because she left a flyer in my mailbox complaining about how the UPS driver (as if I her neighbour is in charge of UPS) had driven far too fast in her graveled driveway and had misplaced or rearranged the gravel. She complained in this flyer that she was disgusted enough already that she had a gravel driveway and not a paved drive like she was used to back in her home state of Connecticutt. Her flyer further whined about the two hours she spent picking up the gravel by hand and attempting to find it's recent location in her driveway. By this point of the flyer (which had a colour photograph showing the 20-some pieces of gravel) I was thinking that this new neighbour may have some difficulty relocating to our rural neighbourhood.
Next flyers arrived in multiple mailboxes sometime after Thanksgiving. Her new complaint? Multi-coloured Christmas lights and the very common displays of mangers. Seems she was upset over the fact that everyone wasn't using clear light strands. Well on our four acres we have always carried on our late father's tradition of stringing multiple strands of lights in the old cedar/dogwood/holly trees on the four corners of the property. We usually do all blue on one corner, red on another corner, green and then gold ...etc. Well we had a Santa sleigh and reindeer illuminated in multi-coloured lights on the old stable roof and a manger scene in the center of the property. Paperclipped on my personal copy of the flyer was a polaroid photograph showing our property with the lights all a-glow. It seems I was a most notorious multi-coloured light offender.
Folks this is a rural area, everyone decorates as they please. There are NO homeowners' associations setting rules about how people decorate for the holiday. Personal opinion? I don't think anyone NOT paying my electric bill should ever determine what I choose to decorate with during the holidays. The following Sunday at church, I discovered that about 12 other folks had found flyers in their mailboxes. We all just sort of shook our heads and did the polite Southerners' usual response to outlandish behaviour by newcomers ...we chuckled, sighed and then said "bless her heart".
In my work I'm often out of town/state and arrive home at all hours. I was coming in from my last assignment before Christmas around 3am. I was full of holiday happy, singing with the car radio and enjoying seeing the Christmas lights as I drove. While deep in thought about what Christmas preparations I needed to do before the big day two weeks later I realized I was only half a mile from my driveway. I could see the Christmas lights glowing. I smiled and was happy they had come on with the timers I had set. I was feeling great pride and then I saw the blue lights go off. Next, the red lights went out...all of them eventually going out and I realized that it couldn't be happening like this on it's own. I decided to turn my headlights off as I drove down our long driveway. Easy to do if you've rode a bike by moonlight down that same path when a child. As I neared my house I noticed there was a drop cloth or tarp on our manger scene. HELLO, THIS IS AMERICA, I CAN DISPLAY WHAT I PLEASE. I turned on my headlights and caught glimpse of a figure scurrying away from the manger. A small woman in a hooded coat, flashlight in hand, running for the woods at the back of the property. I stopped the vehicle and got out shouting, "HEY WHAT ARE YOU DOING?". The woman looked back once and she climbed over the fence that marked the end of my property and the beginning of hers. I stood there, sort of not fully taking in the lengths this woman had taken..and whispered to myself, "Okay....we're dealing with someone with severe control issues here". LOL
So began Christmas Decor War. The flyers kept arriving in our mailboxes. Most of them with an accompanying polaroid photo and the flyer listing our offenses. She even went so far as to do a top ten rating of the worst offenders of NON-CLEAR CHRISTMAS LIGHTS. Proud to say I was usually number 1 or 2 for the next ten days. Neighbours and I discussed the rankings..wondering how they could change daily if the lights didn't change their positions or colours. LOL Finally my niece and I decided to give her something in her mailbox. So we went shopping found some multi-coloured Christmas lights in the nice large C-9 sized bulb. Bright gem-like colours of red, green, blue....ahhh the magnificence of their glow. So the night before Christmas Eve we hiked to our Christmas lights revolutionary's front driveway with all the overly manicured and trimmed shrubs. We were giggling as we stood there looking at the meticulous arranging of the glowing clear lights. I kept doing quotes from Monty Python's Holy Grail..ya know...bring me a shrubbery....we're the knights that say.... NEEEEEEHHHH. LOL So we went to work and connected about 800 multi-coloured Christmas lights to the clear ones our turbulent little neighbour had on her shrubs and small bushes in their front yard. It was amazing how more warm it looked. We quickly strung the lights. Then I unfolded a tripod and attached my camera. I took a few snaps of her yard with all the majesty of our little addition of multi-coloured C-9 bulbs. Just as the dawn was rising I got the last photos. We quickly took the light strands off, leaving her shrubs as pristine as they were before our arrival. We giggled our way back to my house and indulged ourselves with pound cake and hot chocolate. So I developed the pix. I had 25 flyers made with the photo....full colour. We listed her as the top offender of multi-coloured lights with myself a close second. LOL I then had a calendar made with a nice 8.5 X 11.5 copy of the pic at the top...so you could enjoy it's spendor all through the twelve months of the year. On Christmas Day we distributed the flyers throughout the neighbourhood. I left her both a flyer and the calendar in her mailbox. I had signed each month of the calendar with a "welcome to the neighbourhood". The next Sunday at church everyone was wondering who had done it. I sat quietly as they all giggled over it. I said a few more prayers than usual wondering what this deed would bring me punishment-wise in the afterlife.
Why did I tell you this story? Well...when you move somewhere new. Accept that what was the norm or practice of your old location might not be what you should do here. Realize that a southern accent doesn't indicate what level of intelligence is behind this odd (to you) twang. Be aware that you might not know everything, or that your new southern neighbour might know a tiny bit more about an area that their ancestors probably settled back in the 1600s (as mine did). OH and remember that your accent might even make US giggle a bit ... although as Southerners we will giggle behind our hands in a polite manner. So yes we get excited when it snows here, we don't get as much snow as other locations in this big country. We know it's hot, we've probably worked large farms in this kind of heat, and if we say, do your errands early in the morning, take our advice. Remember that respect of private property isn't a backwoods attitude but more just a polite attitude. In other words, you're the newbie here, don't judge so fast, and adjust a bit. Because as I said in the beginning of this post, y'all (yes it's a word, known as a contraction from old English origin, and is listed in my Oxford dictionary) sure don't ever seem to MOVE ANYWHERE ELSE ONCE YOU ARRIVE HERE IN NORTH CAROLINA.
Sounds like a story for the Jerry Springer show. This is why I moved out of Fayetteville.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:27 AM

21 posts, read 48,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macwench2006 View Post
I LOVED your story, and your advice is "right on" . I'm from California and moved here 2 years ago, we live near Stedman, so we are not in the city, and I absolutely love it.
I have learned what it is like to sit on the front porch (in CA we sit in the backyard, never on the front porch),
I learned to wave as people drive by, whether you know them or not,(in Ca, we never wave, in fear of getting shot)
I would recommend Fayetteville to anyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina