Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2010, 07:51 AM

37 posts, read 68,941 times

Advertisements

We have been searching for our ideal place to relocate for a while now and have yet to find it. I am hoping that some of the nice folks on this board can help me decide if any part of NC might be a place to consider; at least worthy of a visit

I have been reviewing the posts on this sight for days and now I am interested in some more information please.

To be extremely specific I will get into details, please be patient.

We had considered Arkansas, Tennessee, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina for possible relocation sights. Arkansas and Georgia were beautiful, however we don't like the "personal property tax" they adopted.

We are a family that totally enjoys everything outdoors and want to be in a small to medium size town in/near the mountains that can encompass most of what we want. Like everyone we are concerned with safety, schools, culture (within driving distance), family friendliness and available activities. I know this is a tall order but I'm wondering if there are any towns that one can recommend us checking out for consideration. Our kids have a week off in November and we want to select a place to investigate during that time period.

Asheville, Durham and Charlotte were recommended as places of interest according to an internet quiz we took but would love to hear from natives of the state on any recommendations. Above all, we need to be near the mountains, have fairly low humidity which should be easy since we are now situated near Orlando, safe and friendly.

I apologize in advance if I am repeating myself, but we are trying to find the best place to relocate with our family and they are the most important thing to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 06:20 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of Angels View Post
We have been searching for our ideal place to relocate for a while now and have yet to find it. I am hoping that some of the nice folks on this board can help me decide if any part of NC might be a place to consider; at least worthy of a visit

I have been reviewing the posts on this sight for days and now I am interested in some more information please.

To be extremely specific I will get into details, please be patient.

We had considered Arkansas, Tennessee, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina for possible relocation sights. Arkansas and Georgia were beautiful, however we don't like the "personal property tax" they adopted.

We are a family that totally enjoys everything outdoors and want to be in a small to medium size town in/near the mountains that can encompass most of what we want. Like everyone we are concerned with safety, schools, culture (within driving distance), family friendliness and available activities. I know this is a tall order but I'm wondering if there are any towns that one can recommend us checking out for consideration. Our kids have a week off in November and we want to select a place to investigate during that time period.

Asheville, Durham and Charlotte were recommended as places of interest according to an internet quiz we took but would love to hear from natives of the state on any recommendations. Above all, we need to be near the mountains, have fairly low humidity which should be easy since we are now situated near Orlando, safe and friendly.

I apologize in advance if I am repeating myself, but we are trying to find the best place to relocate with our family and they are the most important thing to us.

Have you won the lottery, or does your job just come with you?

Because employment will be your biggest hurdle to overcome wherever you decide to go.

If you need employment it will be harder to be near the mountains of NC unless you are perhaps in the medical field.

In addition, neither Charlotte or Durham fits the bill for what you say you want I'm afraid. Asheville sounds more like what you want, but again, employment there will be tough. Most jobs are in the service industry and they don't pay as well as other types of jobs.

I would suggest you look at Wilkesboro. It's in the foothills, offers a lot of outdoor recreation at Kerr Scott Lake and the nearby by Blue Ridge Parkway and is about the size you say you want (small to medium city).

http://www.saw.usace.army.mil/wkscott/index.htm

http://www.north-wilkesboro.com/

Old 10-04-2010, 12:41 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
If "near the mountains" is your biggest criterion, you can rule out Durham or anywhere east of Winston-Salem.

Other than that, I don't see that you're giving much specific info to guide a search. You haven't said anything about work or what kind of industry you're in. Unless you're retired, I don't think you would plan to move somewhere without considering the employment potential (and preferably finding a job first).

If you're set on NC and mounatin proximity, you can draw a line from Winston-Salem to Charlotte and start investigating the cities of whatever size you are looking for, west of there. Charlotte is a large metro, of course, but there are smaller cities like Hickory, Morganton, Boone, and of course Asheville in that vicinity.

You might want to go one level down to the "Western NC" forum instead of the general NC one.

Old 10-09-2010, 04:46 PM

168 posts, read 494,453 times
If you definitely need to be near the mountains, then definitely repost this is Western NC. Either find a job and pick a spot based on that (which might be your best bet since you don't have anywhere you absolutely needed to be since you were narrowed down to five states) or pick a state and town and look for jobs near there. DO NOT MOVE WITHOUT A JOB. The job market is tough and finding a job will take a bit of luck and being in the right place at the right time. That is my best advice to you. Oh, and Durham is near Raleigh which is nowhere near the mountains

Old 10-09-2010, 05:14 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Ya, whatthey ALL said. Look at locations along the Blue Ridge Parkway and west. If you want "close" to mountains there is Morganton sort of the foothills. Boone is there in the mountains. Between Boone and Wilkesboro are some nice towns alon 421. Brevard (west of Asheville)was on some BEST OF list awhile back. Pretty sure employment is mainly self-employed in that area.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:40 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,291,045 times
Hickory is family-friendly, as long as you don't need a job. I read on another thread that you are self-employed. Will your business depend at all on getting customers/clients from the community you choose?

What kind of "culture" would you want to drive to? You could probably find it in Charlotte if it isn't available in Hickory.

Somewhere near Boone might also be a good choice, but it is colder in the winter. Have you always lived in Florida, or have you lived somewhere with cold weather in the winter?

Old 10-12-2010, 08:45 AM

2,948 posts, read 7,019,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of Angels View Post
Arkansas and Georgia were beautiful, however we don't like the "personal property tax" they adopted.
If the "personal property tax" is an issue - be aware that NC also charges PPT.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:04 AM

86 posts, read 155,147 times
I relocated to Charlotte from Michigan. I love it here except for the fact I was laid off a year ago. getting a job here has been horrendous. But the people are the nicest you will find anywhere and Housing is fairely inexpensive it's only 2 hr drive from the mountains . The negatives are personal taxes are SKY HIGH, the drivers are the worst and the school system CMS is not that good at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina