U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 11:59 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,781,420 times

Advertisements

I don't know if anyone can answer this, maybe Vicki or CharAg, but masters bedroom down appears to be very popular on newer homes in NC, I prefer mine up and in review of listings, this narrows it a lot

Why is this so popular - anyone know?

I can guess when you age you do not want to go up stairs, but I am looking is there really any reason

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2006, 12:03 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,139,097 times
Not just newer homes either. My 1940 home has the master bedroom on the first floor, with two smaller "kids size" bedrooms upstairs. Granted, the fact that the second floor has lower ceilings may have something to do with it, but anyways, it's worth noting.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:07 PM

890 posts, read 4,147,945 times
I have had both and I prefer the master down much more. In fact, I would only buy a master down when we were looking for homes last time. Maybe it is an age thing. My kids are teens and their rooms are upstairs. It is much easier to just walk into my bedroom then to climb all those stairs. I can go for days and never even go upstairs which is probably a good thing from the looks of their rooms!

I think having it downstairs also allows for the other bedrooms upstairs to be bigger since the master bedroom isn't taking up all the space. It also makes room for a frog (finished room over the garage).

Last edited by scjj; 08-15-2006 at 12:16 PM..

Old 08-15-2006, 12:30 PM

693 posts, read 2,664,329 times
I'm with Wes on this. When i was doing the house hunt I excluded the ones with master down, I really wanted it upstairs. I actually saw some of the master down houses but it looked even more awkward when I saw them in person. Some of them had the MB very close to the kitchen!

Old 08-15-2006, 12:48 PM

321 posts, read 1,494,475 times
I prefer master up. We get so little exercise these days in the course of our day to day activities, and stair climbing is excellent exercise.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:54 PM

293 posts, read 913,160 times
The house I'm having built has a master up & a master down. We're going to use the upstairs master & use the downstairs one for guests. When the kids get older (& we'll of course be older) then we will move to the downstairs master & let the kids have their own space.

Old 08-15-2006, 03:29 PM

12,475 posts, read 30,676,437 times
Seems that there was a ton of folks that decided that having teenagers meant sending them up to their room, while the parents stayed down! So, builders started building 'em. Then...had a bunch of parents with smaller children who didn't want to have the much distance between them, so back to the upstairs master! I guess its 50/50 as to which one you want but its very easy for me to do a search and indicate if I want a master down or not! Vicki

Old 08-15-2006, 04:45 PM

217 posts, read 769,003 times
Also, it is becoming popular because alot of Baby Boomers are getting older and while they still want a house with extra bedrooms they don't want to have to walk up the stairs. Having one downstairs means if something happened and they could not walk up the stairs they would not have to move.

Old 08-15-2006, 05:05 PM

14,862 posts, read 40,310,732 times
We have the master down. That is the most popular here in the Dallas area and has been for years. I prefer it down. Especially w/ a pool and hot tub we can have a door from the master suite that goes out to the patio.
I also like that w/ the master down the rooms upstairs are larger and the kids can have their space and we don't have to worry about it. Although some of the rooms upstairs are "ours" and off limits to them.

I prefer my master not have the door right at a living area or the kitchen. YUCK!!!

Old 08-15-2006, 05:24 PM

5,265 posts, read 15,834,881 times
My house in South Raleigh had the master down. It was the only house we ever lived in like that. It has it's advantages like never having to go upstairs and being close to the kitchen (I think that's a good thing lol) but also, in a MAJOR design flaw; my son's bedroom was RIGHT above ours so every step he took it sounded like there was a bowling ally in that room!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>