U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2010, 02:13 PM

4 posts, read 8,033 times

Advertisements

We are a young couple in the Army, getting assigned to Ft Bragg in near future. I am going back to school in Raleigh when we get there so we are looking to live somewhere in the middle of the 2 towns (40 min max commute to base). Probably going to buy. (210k max, 3BD/2BATH+, 1700sf+, and at least some yard).

I've read all the other posts on this subject but they don't apply to our situation. We are under 30, have NO kids and are more city-type people. Looking for a SAFE decent area. Small farm towns are not for us and we really would prefer having some shopping/conveniences nearby. Would love a lake or hiking trails nearby for running the dog. I'm from NYC and used to walking places, cookie cutter subdivisions really scare me -would love to find a neighborhood where we can walk to cafes/shops if possible.

Pinehurst and Southern Pines sounded great but it really seems more geared towards retirees, not sure how well we would fit in there. Also we hate golf. Many ppl mention Sanford, but that seems SO FAR from base for 5am PT.

Where do the young officer couples live??
I know I am asking for a LOT, so huge thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 04:21 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,179,026 times
Sanford NC is the only city I can think of any decent size that meets the criteria. It's 40 min to Ft Bragg, 45 min to Raleigh. Live a few milesfurther down 87 to cut few more minutes off that time.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:51 PM

Thanks for the suggestion.. been looking into that area and it seems pretty nice.

Any specific areas we should look into or to avoid (safety, etc)?

Old 10-13-2010, 10:31 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,520,804 times
I'll agree the Sanford will be the best compromise. You probably find it boring and too rural but this is NC.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:53 PM

I've lived in Wilmington briefly (not downtown) and LOVED the older brick homes and walking under the magnolia trees... But I do have nightmares endless flat grassy treeless subdivisions.. Hopefully Sanford has trees!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina