Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2010, 03:13 PM

7 posts, read 13,883 times

Advertisements

Me and my family are considering moving to Statesville. Does anyone have any opinions on this town...is it safe, is the housing market good?? Please help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 06:43 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Have you looked on the Winston-Salem board? Wife and I have driven through Statesvilles a few times and it seems like a nice place. The balloon festival is held there--I think this month?

//www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=24703522

//www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=24703539

Old 10-17-2010, 05:07 AM

10 posts, read 21,468 times
I live in a town adjacent to Statesville and go there almost every day. Statesville has its good areas and bad areas like any other city. It is very convenient to all highways and has a small mall and other stores in it. The town itself is very old and has a gorgeous area of homes that date back quite a few years. You can ask me any other questions if you like. We relocated down here 4 years ago.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:48 AM

Thank you for the info. i have never been to nc but i have family that lives there and ive heard its a great place...statesville is the only town i've found that i've actually wanted to go see....if you know of any others i'd love to look into them.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:31 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
What attracts you to Statesville? Is that where your relatives are? It's probably a fine place to live, but I've never heard of it being the only place someone from outside the state is interested in seeing.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:55 PM

i saw pictures of their historic downtown and thought it was awsome..i want a town that has stuff to do but also has that historical aspect also

Old 10-18-2010, 11:39 PM

2 posts, read 8,536 times
I've lived in Statesville for about 15 years and it kind of grows on you. As another poster mentioned like all towns, there's the good and the bad areas.
If history is your main draw, you might want to take a look at Salisbury which is close to Statesville. One nice thing about Statesville is it's a short drive to Winston-Salem or Charlotte. 2 major airports (Charlotte and Greensboro) are an hour or less away. 15 miles to the south, Mooresville has experienced explosive growth and has drawn many retail stores and restaurants (an area that Statesville has lagged in). 2 good hospitals in Statesville and taxes are reasonable too. It's a quick drive to get to the mountains and the beach is close enough for a weekend trip too.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,951 times
Voted All-American City last year. Nice homey town, convenient, not too expensive, has lots to offer with Parks/Recreation, new library, world-reconized, state of the art district school system,.... friendly folks - from a northerner relocated here in 1997 "permanently transplanted" - country parts higher end of Iredell County, more city-like from Statesville down toward Mooresville, lower end of county connects to Mecklenberg County where you will find Charlotte. Hickory 30 mins to the west, Winston-Salem 30 minutes to the east, mountains/Tennessee Cherokee 2 1/2 hrs. or less, lots of good universities, GREAT community college: Mitchell Community College, Lake Norman (man-made and huge-extends down to Mecklenberg County, LOTs of restaurants, other retailers not too far away, good and bad like all places, expensive homes near lake and around county, double-wide/single wide mobile homes for cheap all around but mostly outside city limits to the north and south of Statesville, some other expensive areas, small airport, 2 international airports with 1 1/2 hours+, YMCA, recreation center, walking trails, parks, small mall, traffic not as bad as Mooresville to the south, many church-goers, good free charter schools, private schools, graduate school, lots for a small, quaint town, which also, as you know, has a very nice historic district with beautiful mansions close to Mitchell Community College, Pumpkin Fest downtown this weekend. We close downtown for different all-day festivals, antique car show, pumpkin fest, nearby Balloon Rally, etc. Come visit ~ Hey, ya just might wanna stay. Enjoy! - from a teacher here

Old 06-28-2011, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,149 times
Default Another Northerner looking to relocate in Statesville area

My wife an I plan to relocate to the Charlotte area in the next year, just starting to investigate possible communities. Satesville is on our list. Why? Seems to be less expensive that closer in to Charlotte, and from what I have read so far, has no major negatives. We have friends in the area, and relatives in South Carolina. We will be retiring, so schools aren't a major concern on our list, but cost of living is.
Would like to know if there are any particular things to watch for in looking at a house? Things like lead paint, mold issues, radon, termites, etc? Seems like it is a buyers market at present.
Are there areas that are better than others, or areas to stay away from?
Thanks,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina