Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 08:22 AM

16 posts, read 59,723 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone

My name is Amanda and I currently live in Northern NJ with my hubby of almost 7 years. Right now we both rent and work full time, and we are looking to move from NJ to either NC or FL, but we can’t decide.

NJ is nice- but there is no way we would be able to own something here within the next few years. The real estate and property taxes are just so darn high. Ive lived here for 7 years, hubby has lived here for 25, so needless to say we are quite used to it, but I can NEVER get used to the cold! I’m from the Caribbean, so that explains it, lol!

If we do move, my husband would need to find a new job- I can hopefully keep mine. I earn a pretty good salary, but hubby doesn’t. He works in IT so it baffles me that he doesn’t, but I am hoping wherever we move to, he will be able to find a great job with room for advancement.

We’ve done some research but not enough to make a final decision. What we plan on doing is moving into an apartment for a while to give us some time to pick a good home to purchase. Here in NJ, we rent a 2 bd 1 bath apartment for 1060/month. We only have to pay for electric, gas, cable, internet and phone. Heat and hot water is provided by the landlord. Our total expenses come up to around $1,260 a month.

I’ve called several apartment complexes in NC and FL, and it seems they are both the same with regard to certain things. Rent is pretty affordable, but tenant will be responsible for electric, water, cable, internet and phone. Neither places said anything about gas as everything they said is powered by electricity. Since I’ve never paid for water and electricity will power the stove and heat, I need to get an idea of what this will cost each month. Does anyone know the Auston Woods apartment complex in Charlotte? I called them as well- it seems very nice there!

As for the property taxes, I’m not sure what it is like in FL. If we do move to FL, we want to go to Deltona. If we move to NC, I am not sure where the best area is
But we are concerned about a few things

1. Utility prices
2. Auto Insurance
3. Property Taxes
4. Food prices
5. Clothing prices
6. Employment opportunities for hubby
7. Great schools
8. Cost of taking care of a baby (which GOD willing, we will be having pretty soon)

Last week a co-worker of mine visited Charlotte NC and went house hunting. The houses are really beautiful in NC- there was this gorgeous one for 150K – 4 bdrm, 3 bath, finished attic, gorgeous kitchen and she said property taxes were around 1,600/yr. I have also looked at homes in Deltona FL. I saw this 4 bedroom 2 bath with a pool for less than 110K. But again, I don’t know what property taxes are like in Deltona, FL and how it has been the past few years (in order to possibly predict if it will increase soon). My aunt has a good friend who just moved from NJ to Deltona, so I can definitely reach out to her, but everyone has differing opinions on the same thing.

I am looking for some insight from anyone who lives in FL- preferably the Deltona area, and anyone who lives in NC- Charlotte, Asheville area. If you’ve also lived in NJ and can help me with my comparison, that would be a PLUS!!

I know that the unemployment compensation in Fl is quite low- like 275/wk. but FL has no city or state tax, and no unemployment insurance tax. The compensation in NC is about 450/wk, but NC state tax is quite high (actually higher than it is in NJ). So sometimes I think we should move to FL because we will end up with more money in my pocket at the end of the week, but what will we need to use that money for- higher food prices, high property taxes, higher home owners and auto insurance?

What we are essentially looking to do is move from NJ to either NC or FL (whichever one will be most beneficial to us in the long run), rent an apartment for a while so we can explore the area and hopefully be able to save up some more money to finally purchase our first home. I want my hubby to be able to get a really good job and we want to be able to start our family and live comfortably.

It sucks not being able to have something of our own in NJ; I come from a family that knows nothing about renting, and neighbors can be quite annoying.
Thanks in advance for your input!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 10:17 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,653,670 times
I wish I could offer more of a response, but I don't see much I can respond to, since most of the issues seem to be financial rather than some other tangible issue. I know that employment opportunities are still a problem across the country and that it's not supposed to get much better anytime soon. I'm willing to bet that financially either option, or just staying put, will be a wash.

Anyway, from what I know from reading these forums many times a week, the costs for NC tend to break out as follows:

- utilities, less, but water/sewer more. The question is how much more electricity will you use for your A/C, versus possibly how much less gas or oil you might use for heat.
- auto insurance less, but gas more, and you pump it yourself.
- property taxes. A wash in my opinion. There are many intangible benefits that you probably get with higher taxes that you might lose by paying less.
- food prices, more, and taxed more.
- clothing prices, don't know, but again, they're taxed as well.
- schools, usually not an issue. Most people I know prefer the schools here regardless of where they came from. Many are charging the parents extra for students to participate in sports programs.
- daycare, much more and from what I hear, harder to find without a long waiting list.

You also need to consider other costs, such as healthcare (read some of the topics about how much more expensive dental care is) and how readily available it is (if you're used to after-work or weekend appointments, or not having to make them six months or more in advance, you can forget about those).

Old 10-20-2010, 11:07 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
All I can say is, NC must be better since so many from Florida keep relocating here and people in NC don't appear to be flocking to Florida

Maybe this older thread on apartments in Charlotte will be helpful: //www.city-data.com/forum/charl...tment-any.html

Last edited by lovesMountains; 10-20-2010 at 11:16 AM..

Old 10-20-2010, 11:26 AM

2,948 posts, read 7,018,321 times
First, and foremost, move to where you both can have employment. Do not limit yourself to a region or state just because you hear everyone is headed there .. beautiful houses mean little when you don't have the income to support it. If you want out of NJ, look for where in the country the hubby can land a job. That might take you to OH, OK, TX, NE, MN, FL, etc. There are inexpensive cost of living all over the country, you just have to keep an open mind for what is available.

To answer some of your questions... the expenses will be a wash between NJ and NC. For example: your electric will be high in the summer, but gas high in the winter. The property taxes are lower, but the sales tax, income tax, personal property tax, highway use tax, etc may make your tax obligations about the same. In fact, if you only rent now and have no property tax to speak of in NJ, then your tax obligations will be higher here just renting because you will have personal property taxes on vehicles.

Rent: I have about 1250sf 3bd house that I pay $1000 (but the LL will increase to $1200-1300 in the event I move out)
Utilities: Electric $80-250, Gas $30-270, water N/A (well/septic), tv/internet will be about the same as in NJ
Auto Ins: just received a quote for 2 vehicles (value 2005 $9400 & 2007 $17000 respectively) + renters for $1157/yr --> but, we have clean records with no claims in 3+ years and the 2007 is set up for 10K miles or less for a year. This quote is the same as what we pay for similar coverage in OH. All other quotes I've received were more expensive than OH.
Food: seems higher in overall cost than in OH, food is taxed.
Employment: high unemployment rate, LOTS of competition in the IT field.

I can't offer any insight on schools or child care, but coworkers have reassured me that child care is expensive. Clothing prices are probably about the same.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:49 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
Do not limit yourself to a region or state just because you hear everyone is headed there.
Some of the best advice posted here in ages. Sadly, some of the least-followed advice, as well. But just because someone else likes a place, doesn't mean YOU will. Are every single one of their tastes and preferences exactly the same as yours? (This is a general comment, not necessarily to OP--just something to think about for those who say "Oh, my friend's friend's husband's aunt says you're crazy if you don't move to _____, so here we come!")

Old 10-20-2010, 02:57 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,469,799 times
To chime in on your question about Asheville. Your husband will have a very very difficult time finding a job here, especially making what hes making in NJ. The competition in the IT field in all of NC is unreal right now and many are working for way less then they deserve just because employers know they can because people have to work.

Rent + utilities in Asheville is equal to what it is for you in NJ. What you didn't have to pay in water and heat, you do here, so even though rent is less, 750-800 for a nice 2 bedroom, you pay more in expenses. Everyone else answered about the taxes.

If you both have good jobs, you'd be extremely smart to stay where you are at in this economy until you both can find equal jobs somewhere else and as someone else said.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:18 AM

3 posts, read 24,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trini2685 View Post
Hello everyone

My name is Amanda and I currently live in Northern NJ with my hubby of almost 7 years. Right now we both rent and work full time, and we are looking to move from NJ to either NC or FL, but we can’t decide.

NJ is nice- but there is no way we would be able to own something here within the next few years. The real estate and property taxes are just so darn high. Ive lived here for 7 years, hubby has lived here for 25, so needless to say we are quite used to it, but I can NEVER get used to the cold! I’m from the Caribbean, so that explains it, lol!

If we do move, my husband would need to find a new job- I can hopefully keep mine. I earn a pretty good salary, but hubby doesn’t. He works in IT so it baffles me that he doesn’t, but I am hoping wherever we move to, he will be able to find a great job with room for advancement.

We’ve done some research but not enough to make a final decision. What we plan on doing is moving into an apartment for a while to give us some time to pick a good home to purchase. Here in NJ, we rent a 2 bd 1 bath apartment for 1060/month. We only have to pay for electric, gas, cable, internet and phone. Heat and hot water is provided by the landlord. Our total expenses come up to around $1,260 a month.

I’ve called several apartment complexes in NC and FL, and it seems they are both the same with regard to certain things. Rent is pretty affordable, but tenant will be responsible for electric, water, cable, internet and phone. Neither places said anything about gas as everything they said is powered by electricity. Since I’ve never paid for water and electricity will power the stove and heat, I need to get an idea of what this will cost each month. Does anyone know the Auston Woods apartment complex in Charlotte? I called them as well- it seems very nice there!

As for the property taxes, I’m not sure what it is like in FL. If we do move to FL, we want to go to Deltona. If we move to NC, I am not sure where the best area is
But we are concerned about a few things

1. Utility prices
2. Auto Insurance
3. Property Taxes
4. Food prices
5. Clothing prices
6. Employment opportunities for hubby
7. Great schools
8. Cost of taking care of a baby (which GOD willing, we will be having pretty soon)

Last week a co-worker of mine visited Charlotte NC and went house hunting. The houses are really beautiful in NC- there was this gorgeous one for 150K – 4 bdrm, 3 bath, finished attic, gorgeous kitchen and she said property taxes were around 1,600/yr. I have also looked at homes in Deltona FL. I saw this 4 bedroom 2 bath with a pool for less than 110K. But again, I don’t know what property taxes are like in Deltona, FL and how it has been the past few years (in order to possibly predict if it will increase soon). My aunt has a good friend who just moved from NJ to Deltona, so I can definitely reach out to her, but everyone has differing opinions on the same thing.

I am looking for some insight from anyone who lives in FL- preferably the Deltona area, and anyone who lives in NC- Charlotte, Asheville area. If you’ve also lived in NJ and can help me with my comparison, that would be a PLUS!!

I know that the unemployment compensation in Fl is quite low- like 275/wk. but FL has no city or state tax, and no unemployment insurance tax. The compensation in NC is about 450/wk, but NC state tax is quite high (actually higher than it is in NJ). So sometimes I think we should move to FL because we will end up with more money in my pocket at the end of the week, but what will we need to use that money for- higher food prices, high property taxes, higher home owners and auto insurance?

What we are essentially looking to do is move from NJ to either NC or FL (whichever one will be most beneficial to us in the long run), rent an apartment for a while so we can explore the area and hopefully be able to save up some more money to finally purchase our first home. I want my hubby to be able to get a really good job and we want to be able to start our family and live comfortably.

It sucks not being able to have something of our own in NJ; I come from a family that knows nothing about renting, and neighbors can be quite annoying.
Thanks in advance for your input!!!
Hi!
I currently live in Orlando and am looking to move to NC. I have never lived in N.J, but was born in Hampton, VA area and grew up in rural North Florida. I just wanted to chime in and say that Deltona is a hole. I have lived here 10 years in casselberry, and there are some nice places (winter springs, longwood, casselberry, oviedo, wekiva and parts of winter park and altamonte springs). Everywhere else south of 50, north of the st. John's, west of I-4 or east of alafaya is very questionable. Pine hills, aka crime hills is the worst, deltona is the second worst. There is ALOT of crime, no shopping, just endless houses, and there is no city storm sewer, so it floods alot.
Deltona, plus all the surrounding area was originally for retirees, so there are LOTS of elderly. I could go on and on, but you get the idea, look in a nice area if you move here. Almost everyone is from somewhere else here, and if you are Caribbean or Spanish you will love it, they have amazing Hispanic and Caribbean restaurants here, and it is really nice being near all the theme parks. You have to speak Spanish (natively) though or they are usually really rude in those family Spanish restaurants and markets. All the Hispanics seem racist towards each other's islands and countries here too, don't know if they do that in other areas. It seems sort of odd to me how, for instance, a Costa Rican talks down about someone from Nicaragua, and vice versa.
We want to move for a more rural lifestyle, and we really don't like old people, even though we're getting closer everyday, LOL.
For the taxes, they are going up, with no end in site, the volusia school system in deltona is not good, many parents don't like florida schools at all, and there are many, many home school groups, and there are people here that will take care of an infant for almost nothing, but with no license. To get good childcare, it's 200 plus a week for an infant. The people who live in that area almost all work in Orlando or Daytona, you have to drive a good 45 minutes (on a good day) to get to any work. I-4 is the best way to get in and out, and I-4 can become a parking lot in rush hour for a little fender bender, which happens all the time.

Happy house hunting, and hope I have been a little helpful.

Last edited by angiebmcg; 10-24-2010 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 10-24-2010, 11:57 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,245,698 times
Hi Amanda! You have gotten some wonderful responses here, and I sincerely hope that you listen to some of the posters advice.First of all, Please Do NOT move anywhere unless the two of you have employment. I know how hard it is in NJ, our kids are still there. I was born and raised in Northern NJ, we raised our kids down the Jersey Shore (not the joke of the TV Reality show) After 911 my dh & I wanted a quality of life where we didn't have to "live to work" and we opted to move to Eastern, NC without knowing anyone. We have been here 7 yrs. and really do love it, but here are the differences, in my opinion. The only things that are least expensive are the initial cost of purchasing a home and property taxes. Food is 2x as expensive. You have Supermarkets such as Shop Rite and Pathmark where you can get just about any type of food you want because they buy in large quantities. You have plenty of Speciality stores (I am not sure about Charlotte). I shop in The Fresh Market (which is like Whole Foods) & buy in bulk at Sam's Club. We live in a College town and have 218 restaurants in a 8 mi. radius, 3/4 of them fast food. As another poster said our food is taxed & so are clothes. There is a $250 one time road tax to Reg. ea. vehicle & a Personal yearly tax on all vehicles. We have 1700' sq. ft. home, elec. averages $150 a month., gas $14.00 mo., we never paid for water in NJ (we had a well and the best tasting ice cold water ever), it is still hard to pay around $120.00 every 2 mos. for water and sewer. I can't say about day care, but in NJ dd paid $1,200 a mo. for 1 child 5 yrs. ago.

I would say before deciding to move get your employment in line, this is top priority. Check out Delaware, there may be a lot more job opportunities there for your husband. Check out different areas and ask on this board, I find that people will genuinely help you. I hear this all the time, "I want to get out of NJ". Research is your key, it is a life changing decision. I wish you luck in you decision. If you have any more ques., just ask. kelsie

Old 10-28-2010, 09:48 PM

17 posts, read 54,217 times
I agree with Angie's assessment of Deltona. I moved to Central FL 7 1/2 years ago from PA. The schools are really poor compared to other states. We now have a young son and are looking at our options for moving out of FL so he can have a better education. No, we don't have city/state income taxes but there is sales tax on everything, as much as 7.5% in some counties. Unless you can afford a $400k + house you will likely either be in a less than desirable area or you will be in a neighborhood that has a lot of vacation rentals in it. You simply cannot escape the tourism/theme park feel. I would choose NC, hands down over FL.

I'm not sure what you mean about unemployment compensation. If your husband voluntarily quits his job to move he won't be eligible. Unemployment compensation is for people who are unemployed through no fault of their own. Every state in the country has an unemployment program. The amount you receive is not a fixed amount for every person. It depends on what your earnings were in the base period (five quarters prior to your date of unemployment). Before quitting to stay at home with my son I was a Human Resource Generalist and dealt with unemployment all the time so I'm pretty familiar with how it works.

Where ever it is you go, I highly recommend that you rent for a while to get to know the area and make sure you truly like it before buying a home. Good luck!!

Old 10-29-2010, 07:36 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,381,145 times
I don't know much about FL but I can give you some information on NC vs NJ
We moved from Somerset co. NJ to Moore Co NC and here are some of the price differences.

NJ house 3,000sf 40 years old NC house 2,400 sf 4 Years old

1. Utility prices, NJ gas and Electric 4-500 NC Elect. 200
2. Auto Insurance NJ 1,800 NC 1,200
3. Property Taxes NJ 11,000 NC 2,400
4. Food prices, same but taxed
5. Clothing prices, same but taxed
6. Employment opportunities for hubby ?
7. Great schools,Can't beat NJ
8. Cost of taking care of a baby (which GOD willing, we will be having pretty soon) ?

Hope this helps
PDD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina