Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2010, 09:41 AM

9 posts, read 12,897 times

Advertisements

So in the next couple of year my Boyfriend and I are considering a move to South (or North) Carolina. Basically we are looking to move somewhere that is a little slower then up here, not so expensive, and where we can be part of a community (you know like actually know your neighbors, community festivals and events).

Although we both like living up here it's far to expensive and competitive up here. And the areas that are a little more laid back and inexpensive are much to cold and don't offer much in the way of a cultural experience.

Heading south seems like the best bet and I feel in love with the region while visiting and traveling with my man when he was stationed in NC. I do know that we would want to stay close to the coast.

However on paper it seems like a smart move there are certain features that I am particularly hoping to find where ever we go and was hoping to get some experienced opinions. Basically we are a couple late 20s/early 30s, enjoy going out, dinner, music, art, etc. Both will have recently graduated with either a BA in Nursing (him) or an MS in Communications (me), we enjoy meeting new people (and know it can be difficult the older you get), and hope to start a family soon.

Any thoughts on how a move to NC could suit our lifestyle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 10:06 AM

2,948 posts, read 7,000,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantstoleave View Post
So in the next couple of year my Boyfriend and I are considering a move to South (or North) Carolina. Basically we are looking to move somewhere that is a little slower then up here, not so expensive, and where we can be part of a community (you know like actually know your neighbors, community festivals and events).

Although we both like living up here it's far to expensive and competitive up here. And the areas that are a little more laid back and inexpensive are much to cold and don't offer much in the way of a cultural experience.

Heading south seems like the best bet and I feel in love with the region while visiting and traveling with my man when he was stationed in NC. I do know that we would want to stay close to the coast.

However on paper it seems like a smart move there are certain features that I am particularly hoping to find where ever we go and was hoping to get some experienced opinions. Basically we are a couple late 20s/early 30s, enjoy going out, dinner, music, art, etc. Both will have recently graduated with either a BA in Nursing (him) or an MS in Communications (me), we enjoy meeting new people (and know it can be difficult the older you get), and hope to start a family soon.

Any thoughts on how a move to NC could suit our lifestyle?
1. There are many, many, MANY communities in the Midwest that also meet this criteria.

2. Which paper? On paper, NC has a very high unemployment rate and the competition for jobs is very fierce.

Best bet - figure out where you can both get a job in areas that meet what you're looking for, then go after the jobs. It may be NC, it may not be NC.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:18 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,256,565 times
If you get jobs here, it would suit your lifestyle fine.

Does "close to the coast" mean a coastal state rather than a landlocked one? Or do you mean you want to be within a certain distance of the beach?

Old 11-04-2010, 11:45 AM

9 posts, read 12,897 times
Thanks for the tips. "close to the coast" means coastal state. I grew up 5 minutes from the ocean and although I don't necessarily need to be steps to the beach, I want to be able to drive there with in a couple of hours.

The mid west could be an option, but I'm such an east coast girl. Although I use to live in Chicago and LOVE that city and I know Wisconsin is a great place, however, just as cold as it is here...trying to get away from that. But I just fell in love with the southern, coastal region (Carolinas, VA, even MD) so, that is were my initial search is taking me.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:30 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,057,058 times
It's not slow here. We don't have subways. Otherwise, it's not a slow-moving way of life. It's not Mayberry.

It's not inexpensive here. Some things may be less expensive than others. But it's still not Mayberry.

chance2jump is absolutely correct, too. Jobs aren't easy to come by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina