Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 08:09 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,853,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
They'll find out sooner or later. You could be involved in a fender-bender or just be seen in the same general area for months or years. Plus you'll need to get your current out-of-state tag renewed sometime or need to get a new out-of-state inspection sticker. In addition, your auto insurance is not going to be happy if you keep lying about your place of residence. A lot of little things will give you away eventually. Not worth all of the hassle of keeping out-of-state tags and driver's license, in my opinion.
I see his/her point. How do they know? Fender bender, so you were visiting. I actually was hit by someone who had out-of-state plates. She was living here. I was at a stop light, she was doing 40mph+ and it me. Insurance paid. Report taken. Nothing done. They still have to insure you. As for renewal "tags", you keep renewing it and paying the fee. Its a infraction. No point deduction on your insurance nor a crime if caught.
Now, on the other hand why would you go through this? Is the registration cheaper in your state or is it due to smog laws? Has to be a reason Cough it up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2006, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Mostly counties located in and around moderate to large cities have pollution testing. Aftermarket window tint testing is done yearly at inspection time. Plus, if the cops see a vehicle that doesn't quite look right, they might inquire.
They do need probable cause. Is tint illegal in NC? If so, then they got it
Is smog based on population? If so, what is it? Do they do the tread mill or the sniffer?

Old 08-16-2006, 08:35 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
They do need probable cause. Is tint illegal in NC? If so, then they got it
Is smog based on population? If so, what is it? Do they do the tread mill or the sniffer?
Probable cause? Good one! Tell it to the cop he has no right to stop you at a DWI checkpoint or some other type of "safety" pull-over. He just might stop you to let you know one of your tires "appears" to be underinflated as a "courtesy". If he want to know who you are, he will find out. They do live among us and attend the same churches, shop at the same supermarkets and have kids in class with ours. You get the idea.

One's aftermarket tint job may or may not be illegal depending on the level of the specific tint's darkness. There are specific state imposed limits on how dark you can go. They use a photometer to test.

The Feds encourage the states to have emission testing by withholding funding if they don't. In NC the high density population centers are targeted first. The isolated rural areas last. OBD II or tailpipe testing instead of a dyno at the moment.

Counties with and without emission testing.
http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_services/emissioninspection/affectedCounties.html (broken link)

Last edited by mm34b; 08-16-2006 at 08:45 PM..

Old 08-16-2006, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
You have 30 days I think?
In the case of new residents, you must register your motor vehicle at the expiration of the time granted by reciprocity agreement between North Carolina and your prior state of residence (usually 30 days) or when gainful employment is accepted, whichever occurs first. In my area, the cops check tag numbers and inspection stickers when nothing is going on in the wee hours with a spotlight. Slowly up and down the streets. Out-of-state plates usually get special attention.

Last edited by mm34b; 08-16-2006 at 09:05 PM..

Old 08-16-2006, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Probable cause? Good one! Tell it to the cop he has no right to stop you at a DWI checkpoint or some other type of "safety" pull-over. He just might stop you to let you know one of your tires "appears" to be underinflated as a "courtesy". If he want to know who you are, he will find out. They do live among us and attend the same churches, shop at the same supermarkets and have kids in class with ours. You get the idea.

One's aftermarket tint job may or may not be illegal depending on the level of the specific tint's darkness. There are specific state imposed limits on how dark you can go. They use a photometer to test.

The Feds encourage the states to have emission testing by withholding funding if they don't. In NC the high density population centers are targeted first. The isolated rural areas last. OBD II or tailpipe testing instead of a dyno at the moment.

Counties with and without emission testing.
http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_services/emissioninspection/affectedCounties.html (broken link)
We can go into legal lagistics if you want ? I am VERY familiar with this. But to answer your question, this is why they have a turn off. Ever notice that? Yes sir, there legally has to be a turn off so you don't have to go though the check point. If not, its called......"entrapment"! I am sure Connie (Lawyer) or someone else will chime in for a legal education

I agree, they know who we are and reverse. Being raised with parents who worked for Sheriff's dept, Aunt & Uncles who are lawyers. I can pretty much pick one out in a line-up. Pretty easy actually. Remember being a kid and having a few over weekly for dinner. So for me the whole "big brother" is watching you and beware thing really isn't true from my personal experience. Since way back when when they allowed officers to be sued in civil court for actions as an officer, they really watch what they do and don't.

OBD II is the name of the smog equipemt on your car not the test All cars and light trucks built and sold in the United States after January 1, 1996 were required to be OBD II equipped http://www.obdii.com/connector.html
OBD I and OBD II get tested. So tail pipe only? The dyno checks for NoX in the exhaust. By only doing the tail pipe (no NoX check), better chance of passing. Number 1 reason a car fail smog is NoX.

Last edited by TornadoAlley; 08-16-2006 at 09:32 PM..

Old 08-16-2006, 09:36 PM

I know what you're talking about, but the courts adjudicate the legality of police action after the fact, not during the stop. Do you really want to take a cop to court for not having probable cause when no ticket was issued or arrest was made? It's not in your best interest to incur the possible future wrath of local law enforcement.

In NC, they use the OBD II data port for emission tests if your county of residence requires testing. If the vehicle does not have OBD II because of age, they use the exhaust probe. No treadmill dyno here.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:53 PM

Quote:
In the case of new residents, you must register your motor vehicle at the expiration of the time granted by reciprocity agreement between North Carolina and your prior state of residence (usually 30 days) or when gainful employment is accepted, whichever occurs first. In my area, the cops check tag numbers and inspection stickers when nothing is going on in the wee hours with a spotlight. Slowly up and down the streets. Out-of-state plates usually get special attention.
I would rather see them doing some "busts" instead of this infraction stuff.

Old 08-16-2006, 10:01 PM

Quote:
I know what you're talking about, but the courts adjudicate the legality of police action after the fact, not during the stop. Do you really want to take a cop to court for not having probable cause when no ticket was issued or arrest was made? It's not in your best interest to incur the possible future wrath of local law enforcement.

In NC, they use the OBD II data port for emission tests if your county of residence requires testing. If the vehicle does not have OBD II because of age, they use the exhaust probe. No treadmill dyno here.

See, for me maybe its different. I would be the one filing a police report is something was done wrong. If you were to call our local Sheriff dept, they know who I am and who my family is. I have the Chiefs AND LT email address and I email them when I see a deputy do something wrong, or I see a change I would like to see take place. No big deal for me. If they pull me over because of that and give me a hard time, I would be in the office the next day. I am also the same person who calls when a job was well done too! I have done this many of times when I see an officer do a "good stop" I call it in. Tell dispatch the officer on "X" street and unit number did a good job.

Interesting that the OBD II port on the left side of the steering wheel (federal law) is all that is used. This ONLY shows is sensors are bad. You can have good sensors and still fail smog. A bad cat converter will not throw a code every time, thus the OBD II would pass it. Very interesting. Now, a OBD I also have a "CEL" check engine light which will show codes too (because it has a computer), but they choose to use the "sniffer" pipe instead? Are you 100%? Do you have a link for me to read?

Here in our state, they check for the "CEL" and the sniffer regardless of area is done. If your in a tread mill area, that is added for NoX check. But again, the light alone is worthless in my opinion.

Update: OMG! Your right. Personally, the sniffer is better. Ask any mechanic. Interesting!
I know this 100% if you have a $99 scan tool you can shut the "CEL" or they are calling it a "MIL" off for up to 300 miles..Sigh. Bad move TN. It will show that all "sensors" are fine (the cat will still pass regardless). The good thing about the sniffer, you couldn't beat the sniffer.

Effective July 1, 2002, 1996 and newer model vehicles will undergo an On-Board Diagnostics test, and a gas cap leak check instead of the traditional tailpipe and tampering test.
On-Board Diagnostics II is the second generation of on-board self-diagnostic equipment on vehicles. This system is designed to provide the driver with an early warning of potentially high emissions, and stores important information about detected malfunctions so that a repair technician can accurately find and fix the problem.

It involves two simple steps:

With the key on and engine off, the MIL light is checked to verify that it works.
A scan tool is connected to the vehicles on-board computer system which checks the systems status.

Last edited by TornadoAlley; 08-16-2006 at 10:19 PM..

Old 08-17-2006, 05:05 AM

63 posts, read 211,023 times
Quote:
Vehicle property tax rates vary by county. I do not pay the same tax as residents of other counties even if everyone drove the same identical car.

Motor vehicle inspection is once a year. Some counties require an additional emission test as part of the inspection while others do not. NC has 100 counties.

Thanks! That's a whole lot of counties!! But NC is a huge state compared to NJ I can't imagine not being able to get through the whole state in 2 hrs! LOL

Old 08-17-2006, 04:18 PM

143 posts, read 485,412 times
Regardless, it can't be as bad as MA "excise tax." They have some sort of goofy scale where my 10-year-old Volvo was worth twice as much as my 5-year-old Saab (at the time).

1% is a lot less than the 2.5% they were assessing in MA. And just think: the old excise tax rate in MA was 6.6% and there are people seriously talking about returning to this up there. I am SO GLAD that I am gone from it all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina