U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2010, 02:23 AM

4 posts, read 9,715 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I am a single African American mother with a teenage son and a baby on the way. I am thinking of relocating to North Carolina, and am in need of location ideas. I am trying to keep my son away from heavy gang problems in school. He is also an athlete, so I would like high schools with good academics as well as sport program. Somewhere that has community activities. As for myself, I am unemployed and looking to go to school for photography. I would like to work in the medical field as a Research Study Coordinator, MA, or Phlebotomist. I don't have to be in the big city but not too far out. I need to be able to rent at a reasonable price. I may need government assistance for a minute, how is that? I am in Georgia and the medical coverage sucks for adults. You cant even go to the dentist and get filings, they just pull your teeth out! I am not concerned about night life too much, but i would like to be involved in activities with other singles. I am also concerned about racism and having a ethnic mix. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 07:33 PM

21,093 posts, read 25,632,260 times
Gangs can be a problem anywhere. What concerns regarding ethnic mix? Racism seems to have some foot holds but we have not seen much in public.

Find employment, then narrow your search by neighborhood / community. Government assistance is not much better...

Old 11-28-2010, 11:02 AM

4 posts, read 5,920 times
We live in the Raleigh/Durham area. Originally from Calif, we moved here 5 years ago to simplify our lifestyle and to home education our 3 children. We love it here and our children are thriving as individuals not heavily influenced by their peers.
In your case, I would recommend the town of Cary. It has a great athlete structure and a big city feel without living in an actual big city...at least compared to cities like New York city, L.A. and San Jose.
As far as employment, that will be a challenge "everywhere". Not knowing your financial situation as to your ability to pay for deceit rentals, you may have to look outside of Cary if government assistance will be your only source of income. You may want to, as a single parent, look to the community for support.
Hope that helps.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:06 AM

45,246 posts, read 92,454,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali77 View Post
Hi!
I am a single African American mother with a teenage son and a baby on the way. I am thinking of relocating to North Carolina, and am in need of location ideas. I am trying to keep my son away from heavy gang problems in school. He is also an athlete, so I would like high schools with good academics as well as sport program. Somewhere that has community activities. As for myself, I am unemployed and looking to go to school for photography. I would like to work in the medical field as a Research Study Coordinator, MA, or Phlebotomist. I don't have to be in the big city but not too far out. I need to be able to rent at a reasonable price. I may need government assistance for a minute, how is that? I am in Georgia and the medical coverage sucks for adults. You cant even go to the dentist and get filings, they just pull your teeth out! I am not concerned about night life too much, but i would like to be involved in activities with other singles. I am also concerned about racism and having a ethnic mix. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Cali in your situation I would not come to Charlotte or its metro. Look for smaller cities for more affordable living and better school situations for your son. I would suggest cities like Greenville, SC or Roanoke, VA. Best of luck to you!

Old 11-28-2010, 06:01 PM

Be reminded that Cary has some of the higher housing costs in the Triangle area. If Cary is economically feasible, I would look at North Raliegh as well. There are some excellent schools (try Ravenscroft -- Ravenscroft School ) and sports are highly regarded in most any school.
As mentioned earlier Greenville NC, Greensboro NC, and maybe Roanoke...either Rapids in NC or VA might be better / affordable considerations. Also as hitekmom stated, Durham is / has some great areas as well.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:51 PM

10,522 posts, read 20,588,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Be reminded that Cary has some of the higher housing costs in the Triangle area. If Cary is economically feasible, I would look at North Raliegh as well. There are some excellent schools (try Ravenscroft -- Ravenscroft School ) and sports are highly regarded in most any school.
Ravenscroft is an excellent private school (I'm an alumnus, from the dark ages!) but it has gotten VERY expensive; I find it kind of funny that you would mention Cary's cost of living but not Ravenscroft's high tuition, as it's much more affordable to live in Cary than go to Ravenscroft!

Old 11-29-2010, 10:47 AM

e-casm at its best...just thought if Cary was a viable consideratiion why not shot for the stars.

I'd have never guessed you to be a survivor of Ravenscroft...I saw you as the ruler across the knuckles type of guy...

Old 11-29-2010, 09:52 PM

45,246 posts, read 92,454,112 times
Getting back on track...this OP needs to stay away from the larger cities like Raleigh or Charlotte, and expensive suburbs like Cary.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:07 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,949,920 times
Check out Mebane. It's a nice small town, a very safe and family friendly community with lots of events, and affordable! It's easy to find homes in the $100-$150K price range, whereas many places are $150-$200K and up. I don't know much about the schools, but Eastern Alamance High has a great football program. I'm sure they do well in other sports. Academically, Mebane schools are suppose to be pretty good.

Randolph Community College in Asheboro has a great photography program. It is a bit of a drive from Mebane, around 45 minutes or so, but if you can schedule your classes for only 2-3 days a week that wouldn't be so bad.
RCC Photographic Technology

Mebane is also centrally located to Durham, Chapel Hill, and Greensboro so that opens up more job opportunities, hobbies, etc.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:48 AM

30 posts, read 48,423 times
I'd recommend Apex or Morrisville. Gangs can certainly be a problem anywhere, but having grown up in Los Angeles, I can advise staying out of the main regions of Raleigh and Durham. Apex and Morrisville are both in quick distance to RTP - and you'd have access to a couple of community colleges that offer some great programs in Health/Medical studies - not to mention many medical offices that may provide good opportunities for future work! (We're still quite in a pinch for employment here, like many states).

My family moved over to NC to escape from California, and none of us has ever lived anywhere else since. NC is wonderful. I wish you great luck and hope you can find what you're looking for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina