U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2010, 10:48 AM

7 posts, read 12,832 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking about moving to NC, we are not sure which part of NC would best suit out needs. We have two children ages 4 and 1, my wife is preparing to enter medical school, and I will going for my MBA. I have heard that Charlotte, NC is not the best place to live, and has a problem with crime. I am not sure how much truth their is to that. We would like to maybe work in the downtown area, but then drive back to our suburban home. We dont want to live in a downtown area, but we dont want to have to drive a long way to get to our suburban home. Also we would like a good school system for our children.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 11:53 AM

6,234 posts, read 14,814,552 times
Won't it depend upon where she is accepted for medical school? And where you found a job?

Here, you have UNC at Chapel Hill and Duke in Durham as far as medical schools. I would think you'd want to live relatively close to one of them.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:58 AM

7 posts, read 12,832 times
We are considering a move, and would like to know places that we should check out in NC. She has not applied to Medical school or looked for jobs. Really I just would like to know places in NC that fit the criteria I mentioned above so that we can start our search and determine whether we want to move forward in applying to schools and looking for jobs.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:51 PM

875 posts, read 2,071,786 times
Duke, UNC, ECU, and Wake Forest all have med schools - none of those are near Charlotte, although I think Charlotte is a great place to live. I haven't heard any major complaints.

But in general the downtown areas of the cities in NC aren't that big. The vast majority of people live in the suburbs. I don't enough anything about Greenville's school system but there are plenty of good schools to choose from if you end up living in the triangle or triad.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:51 PM

10,519 posts, read 20,560,500 times
It's always interesting to me when someone "wants to move to NC" yet seems to know little about the state. So what has put NC on your radar if you aren't familiar with any of the cities or areas? Lots of states have medical schools and business schools and good school systems.

Best thing you can do is plan a visit here and narrow down your choices, then ask more pointed areas about those places. nobody can possibly know "what part of NC is best" for your needs than you can, and having seen places in person will help that, of course.

But as they've said above, if you're looking at Medical schools, Winston-Salem, Chapel Hill, Durham, and Greenville are the choices here. All of those also have MBA programs, plus there are other schools near them that do, as well. You might start with going up to the general City-Data boards (or other places) for the brief demographic snapshots of each of those (Winston-Salem is in the Triad metro area; Chapel Hill and Durham basically butt up against each other and are in the Triangle metro, and Greenville is sort of plopped down in the middle of rural eastern NC. All have suburbs reachable from downtown, etc.)

Charlotte is not "known for crime", though being the largest city in the state, of course it's going to have "bigger city" problems which includes crime in some areas--like every city does. It's also known for banking and business--but no medical school nearby.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:38 PM

21,093 posts, read 25,599,240 times
What they said. Other than employment and med school (niether which seems to be a concern) there are areas across the state that will fit the criteria of low crime and good / great schools. If you work in a downtown area there isn't really too many "suburban" places to drive home to. Most areas outside a downtown might be considered rural the exception being some areas near Raleigh (Cary) and possibly Charlotte ( Kannaplolis and Concord?) Winston-Salem has Kernersville that one might think of as suburban...Unless you are wanting to stay within city limits and as previously mentioned, there are many cities that fit the bill.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:37 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,940,404 times
I would think she would apply to med schools all over the country and attend one she got accepted to. After she graduates she can live where you want. After all doctors are always paid well and are needed everywhere, its not like you have to go where your jobs is.

NC's med schools are EXTREMELY competitive and only take the best of the best. So to move here with the intention of going to a med school without actually being accepted is rather dumb. No offense. I had college friends who had 4.0 gpa as chemistry majors and still weren't accepted to any NC med/dental schools, they all got accepted somewhere though, just out of state.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:38 PM

6,234 posts, read 14,814,552 times
Just to clarify for the original poster, by "Wake Forest," I believe the poster below is referring to Wake Forest University, which is not in the town of Wake Forest (which is near Raleigh). Wake Forest University is in Winston-Salem. ECU is Eastern Carolina University and is in Greenville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsualum2004 View Post
Duke, UNC, ECU, and Wake Forest all have med schools - none of those are near Charlotte, although I think Charlotte is a great place to live. I haven't heard any major complaints.

But in general the downtown areas of the cities in NC aren't that big. The vast majority of people live in the suburbs. I don't enough anything about Greenville's school system but there are plenty of good schools to choose from if you end up living in the triangle or triad.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:15 AM

875 posts, read 2,071,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Just to clarify for the original poster, by "Wake Forest," I believe the poster below is referring to Wake Forest University, which is not in the town of Wake Forest (which is near Raleigh). Wake Forest University is in Winston-Salem. ECU is Eastern Carolina University and is in Greenville.
Yep, however just something I thought of when gathering information on Wake's medical school it will probably be helpful to also search "Baptist" since that's what everyone uses when talking about the hospital and many of the med students and residents refer to it as such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina