U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2006, 10:04 AM

8 posts, read 18,404 times

Advertisements

Looking to relocate like so many others from Long Island.
Does anyone know or know where to find the cost of utilities to run a 2500 - 3000 sq ft home in NC?
Costs for water and electric/gas bills? What about sanitation costs (garbage pickup) is that part of property tax? And what is the average property tax and how is it calculated?
Trying to compare apples to apples. Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2006, 12:13 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,198,365 times
There are no correct answers to your questions without knowing the specific locale within NC. The state is way too varied in terms of available services, costs and local taxation.

Old 08-20-2006, 12:48 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,812,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIME TO GO View Post
Looking to relocate like so many others from Long Island.
Does anyone know or know where to find the cost of utilities to run a 2500 - 3000 sq ft home in NC?
Costs for water and electric/gas bills? What about sanitation costs (garbage pickup) is that part of property tax? And what is the average property tax and how is it calculated?
Trying to compare apples to apples. Thanks
Utilities - how I compared the cost was I looked at the sq foot of my current house and how much I paid - (i pay lipa every other month) -
I then went to Duke Energy online and looked at their rates - and calculated based on my current usage (minus the surcharge) - if the the rates without the surcharge are very similar - now if you are looking for a larger home then the one you have, then you will need to add on for that additional sq footage (difficult to get exact depends on usuage but will give you some idea)

Garbage pick up and water varies as does taxes, you really need to know where you want to go - county taxes and town taxes, some areas charge additional for fire dept, etc ...

It is very difficult to compare apples to apples but in my research, I found these things were lower but there are other things they pay in NC (prop on cars) that we don't, so all in all - I estimate to save a few thousand dollars a yr (not a huge amt) - Hope this helps a little.

Old 08-20-2006, 01:52 PM

8 posts, read 18,404 times
Thank you for the info, it is helpful. I think the biggest difference is going to be in the price of the house and difference in the property tax (more than double, maybe triple for both if we were to relocate here on Long Island). I am also wondering if there are reports or plans for accomodating the future. It seems that there is an enormous population growth. Any insight on that?

Old 08-20-2006, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the info, it is helpful. I think the biggest difference is going to be in the price of the house and difference in the property tax (more than double, maybe triple for both if we were to relocate here on Long Island). I am also wondering if there are reports or plans for accomodating the future. It seems that there is an enormous population growth. Any insight on that?

You get more for your $$ in NC BUT, alot depnds on what you get after the price of your home here and how much you spend there - also, salary is a little lower or more depending on what you do so there is a lot to account for ....

As for plans for future growth, I will not touch that subject because all I can base my opinion is what I have read both here and in the newspapers down there but apparently there may be planning but not very good ...

I imagine others can comment better ..

Old 08-20-2006, 02:33 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,352,692 times
Costs vary town to town. I am in Hickory, Catawba Co, and it I am saving about $4000 per year as opposed to living in PA. People I have met from NJ and NY tell me they are saving upwards to $10k. Property tax here is about 1% and includes trash pickup. Tax rate drops to about .5% outside the Hickory city limits but no trash pickup. Duke Energy is the cheapest I have seen anywhere around. Check out their website or call them for the acutal rate.
I think that costs here will rise and rise very quickly. There doesn't seem to be a new industry moving in so I expect the costs will fall on the residents. I did hear a news blip that Goggle is moving to Lenoir NC because of the low energy costs, but they will be using their own people and not hiring locals. Regardless, it will take a very long time to catch up to NY or NJ rates.
Take a look at Hickory or the foothills in general. It is a nice inexpensive place to live with both lake front and mountain views. Close enough to Charlotte and Boone to provide most anything you might want. 4 hours from the beach though, but the roads are good and the drive would not be difficult.
Don

Old 08-20-2006, 03:39 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,198,365 times
Quote:
It seems that there is an enormous population growth. Any insight on that?
The same goes for projected growth. Some counties in NC have high growth, some moderate growth, some low growth or no growth and some counties are actually losing population. Take your pick.

Last edited by mm34b; 11-14-2007 at 04:32 PM..

Old 08-20-2006, 04:17 PM

you also have to see your salary, if you are making the less the costs may be the same or only slightly higher, will you have a mortage, how much, etc... I think the savings are not only due to where you will go but what you will do and your lifesytle, all a very indivdual thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina