Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2010, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 2,223 times

Advertisements

Not sure if anyone has done this? We are a family of 4 hoping to adopt a baby and complete our family. I've researched agencies and cannot justify the prices... met with a social worker and discussed foster to adopt, however the rate of reunification is very high and I don't think my heart could take losing a child. That leaves us with independent adoption. I've retained a lawyer- working on our homestudy - and I'm told to network? This is difficult for me. Has anyone done this successfully? Did it help you match with an expectant mother? Any idea of how to approach it? We went ahead and created a blog and told friends and family....
We have no racial preference or anything like that, so I'm told our chances are greater. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 04:13 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,291,045 times
Have you seen this website?
North Carolina - Adoption.com Forums

Old 01-01-2011, 09:26 AM

2 posts, read 2,223 times
I did look on there... but, there isn't a lot of current info. Many of the posts are from 2007?

Old 01-01-2011, 07:22 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
"can't justify the prices"????

how do you think you will pursue an independent adoption without paying an arm and a leg in legal fees? Are you thinking if you tell enough people you want a baby, one will appear. Stranger things have happened but I wouldn't hold my breath. There are too many people who are trying to adopt too few babies.

the lawyers make a killing on these adoptions. They tell you that you are paying for support and housing of the bio mom but the minute they get one, they sign them up for medicaid so the state ends up paying.

We have adopted 3 times. Once from Korea and twice from Vietnam. We looked into foster first but courts are geared towards reunification and rarely are young children available. I also have helped a young friend make adoption plans 2 years ago.

If you are willing to take an older child, you will have no problems. But if you want an infant - of any race- expect to pay out the nose. Of course you are not buying a baby but supposedly for legal fees....Good luck.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:16 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
I've adopted privately and internationally. Legal fees were crazy high in both cases.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:03 PM

413 posts, read 877,899 times
Default Ads on facebook

A friend ran ads on facebook one hour per day and had a
pregnant young woman in her 20's contact her within 3 weeks!
The agency she uses suggested social networking sites and
it has worked beatifully. She also placed business cards
with her 800 number at restaurants, women's centers, etc.
Hers is an open adoption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina