Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2007, 09:08 PM

2 posts, read 8,398 times

Advertisements

I am a special education teacher considering relocating my family to North Carolina. I visited the general information websites for Raleigh, Fayetteville and Lumberton, and would like more information about them. Which would be better for young children and offering affordable daycare? I would like to chose an area close to I-95, which would enable me to drive to the Florida occassionally. It would also be helpful to know the location and distance to the near airport. Information about teaching opportunities, high education campuses, affordable housing, public transportation and the overall cost of living would be very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 10:45 AM

30 posts, read 121,678 times
My family just moved to Hope Mills, NC from Michigan. 2 1/2 weeks ago and we love it here! My wife will be teaching 3rd grade in Lumberton but we live in Hope Mills which is right off from 95 and is only 25 miles from Lumberton.

Look up Hope Mills. There is a lake here but the dam broke a few years ago so it is dry until summer of next year and then this will be the perfect town. I have a 1 year old and 4 year old. My 4 year old is in a great dance academy and gymnastics and loves them. Hope this helps.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:00 PM

2 posts, read 8,398 times
Thank you Touchdowntommy for your reply. I will check Hope Mills out. Would ask you wife if she would be willing to share her prespective about the school district and the pay scale? I currently teach high school, but am willing to return to elementary.

Last edited by Lady C; 07-19-2007 at 09:18 PM..

Old 11-10-2007, 03:31 AM

1 posts, read 4,095 times
Post teaching in n.c.

I'm a single South African female teacher.
I'd like some info/reassurance on

*1* accommodation in N.C. - which city/area would be best suited to sharing a flat/house with other singles in their 20's and 30's?

*2* public transport- I was told it was essential to have a car in N.C. Is this so?

*3* what are the actual classroom sizes in high schools. (Official info can be misleading.)

*4* I prefer high school kids to middle/elementary... what's the discipline like? I'm a pretty-OK classroom manager... so I don't expect too much hassle ...am I being naive?

*5* ethnicity. I'm Asian Muslim in a non-Muslim African country and I've lived in other Western countries...so I can go with the flow...still...I'd like to know how racially mixed N.C. is. It's just a little odd being the only person of colour in the area you're living/working in for any length of time.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:05 PM

27 posts, read 245,336 times
Lady C,

Most school district's salary schedules can be found on-line. I searched for Durham's, and there is there and can be downloaded. Even without my National Board Certification, I would be making more money living in NC than in AZ.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:07 PM

Thanks for your in-put.... and congratulations on your move! My children are older (I have one who will be a senior next year, and so there is obvious angst there on his part that I am even THINKING about moving.....). I will definitely look-up Hope Mills. The internet is a WONDERFUL thing! I've found SO much info here....

Old 03-16-2008, 04:13 PM

Adhila,

Check-out the following sites, where I found data about Durham

Durham, North Carolina Statistics and Demographics - Population - Income - Housing - Weather - Employment - Geography (http://raleighdurham.about.com/od/government/a/durhamstats.htm - broken link)

and

Moderator cut: link to a competitors site removed

Last edited by Yac; 05-09-2008 at 01:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina