Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2006, 04:07 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,853,854 times

Advertisements

I just got a call the fiber optic service for internet is available in our area for $34.95 5mb/DOWN-2mb/UP. Is there fiber serive for Bell South out there yet or is DSL & Cable still the only game?

Last edited by TornadoAlley; 08-22-2006 at 04:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2006, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 11,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
I just got a call the fiber optic service for internet is available in our area for $34.95 5mb/DOWN-2mb/UP. Is there fiber serive for Bell South out there yet or is DSL & Cable still the only game?
FiOS (fiber optic service) is currently available only through Verizon and even then, Verizon FiOS is available in limited areas. AT&T will be buying out Bellsouth by the end of this year or early 2007. My friend has Verizon FiOS in maryland and has it at 15mbps download..fast!....Once AT&T buys out Bellsouth, there will be many new things coming out, these things include FiOS internet, DIgital TV through Fiber Optic, Digital Phone( not cable, but also fiber), Home Monitoring System, Alarm, etc. All of these will be available in the major Metro areas of NC by 2009. At this point there is fiber optic cables under ground which go to the Bellsouth box in your neighbor hood, in where the light srouce is converted to copper wire. The only thing left is getting the rest of the fiber optic to everyones home, and for the company to get more moeny, after buying out bellsouth. I got all of this info from a friend who works for Bellsouth Tech. So for now your only choices are Cable and DSL. (Time warner cable has internet of up to 8mbps, use to have it, i live in raleigh, horrible, waste of money, i only got about 4 to 5.5 mbps, since the bandwidth is shared throughout the neighborhood)..i currently have Bellsouth Extreme DSL 6.0mbps, which at this time does good. My average speed is 5 to 6mbps. and hasnt failed me. The speed is very constant. I too cant wait for FiOS internet to come out.

ps. Verizon only covers small parts of NC, and even if you live where you can get verizon, it wont offer FiOS, because of its limited coverage in NC.

Old 08-31-2006, 04:42 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,853,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elninoloco View Post
FiOS (fiber optic service) is currently available only through Verizon and even then, Verizon FiOS is available in limited areas. AT&T will be buying out Bellsouth by the end of this year or early 2007. My friend has Verizon FiOS in maryland and has it at 15mbps download..fast!....Once AT&T buys out Bellsouth, there will be many new things coming out, these things include FiOS internet, DIgital TV through Fiber Optic, Digital Phone( not cable, but also fiber), Home Monitoring System, Alarm, etc. All of these will be available in the major Metro areas of NC by 2009. At this point there is fiber optic cables under ground which go to the Bellsouth box in your neighbor hood, in where the light srouce is converted to copper wire. The only thing left is getting the rest of the fiber optic to everyones home, and for the company to get more moeny, after buying out bellsouth. I got all of this info from a friend who works for Bellsouth Tech. So for now your only choices are Cable and DSL. (Time warner cable has internet of up to 8mbps, use to have it, i live in raleigh, horrible, waste of money, i only got about 4 to 5.5 mbps, since the bandwidth is shared throughout the neighborhood)..i currently have Bellsouth Extreme DSL 6.0mbps, which at this time does good. My average speed is 5 to 6mbps. and hasnt failed me. The speed is very constant. I too cant wait for FiOS internet to come out.

ps. Verizon only covers small parts of NC, and even if you live where you can get verizon, it wont offer FiOS, because of its limited coverage in NC.
Thanks for the post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina